Page 1 of 1

HQ Gaming Table Project

PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 10:53 am
by Phoenix
As some of you may/may not know, I plan to build a Gaming Table with HeroQuest in mind. It will of course have other uses, but it is being designed with HQ in mind. My rough sketch can be found here along with some pictures of the drawers (or as we currenly call them "trays") that will eventually make it into the table.

I'm also going to enlarge the playing surface. The original board has roughly .75"x.75" squares. I'm going to enlarge them to 1.25"x1.25". I have already printed up (thanks to a local sign company) a scaled version of the board. My player's love all of the extra room that it affords them. The main problems is that all of the tiles/furniture are scaled for the original and I have yet to figure out how I'm going to enlarge them (the tiles will obviously be easy with a printer). However, I've struck gold with my newest project (IMVHO)!! Three-dimensional blocked squares! Check out the proto-type below.



Rough-cut blocks: Single= 1.25x1.25x1.25; Double=1.25x1.25x2.575
Image

Sanded blocks and the 400-grit paper I used. Also called Emory paper.
Image

Base-coat of Flat Black Interior/Exterior Latex paint.
Image

Two coats of Stone Textured finish. The Comabat Die is just there for size comparison.
Image

I'm still trying to decide if I want to put a clear coat on it. I think that I will, but I'll wait until the paint dries, first! :)

Comparison shots of just how high they will look while in game.
Image


Now, if I can just get started on the actual table........ :roll:

Re: HQ Gaming Table Project

PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 11:33 am
by drathe
Now that's a sweet idea. You could also cut foam cubes from the same stuff G-Bob uses for his 3-D boards. Then you could detail it like stone blocks and paint them. Only problem would be the light-weight. They would be knocked around easily. Could possibly hollow out the bottom and glue some sort of weight inside. I made a blocked square that fits into extra door stands that I have available here.

I do like the cube idea more. Really shows that it's blocked. Um... no pun intended there. Great idea Phoenix, thanks for sharing!

If'n when I do my table, I've decided to have the board section on the top separate and removable with four pins that would fit into holes on the table top. That way I could have an interchangeable board fastened to a back (with a possible tin lining for magnetic-ability) and fancy trim around the different boards. Then the table could be expanded to other games or other board sizes.

Re: HQ Gaming Table Project

PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 8:08 pm
by Phoenix
My orginal idea for these was a 'drop-in' type of block (ergo, remove section of corridor and drop in blocked wall). However, this design makes the layout more modular, so I went with it instead. I'm using wood cause I can get it for free and it's easy to work with. Light enough to manuever and heavy enough to stay in place.