Page 1 of 1

Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 7:02 am
by Nephew of Mentor
Hello everyone and thanks for all the help you've given me so far. I have a few questions about printing rule books.

First of all. I downloaded the entire collection of Heroquest rule books and tiles and whatnot, and I am planning to begin printing when I return home in July. I'm interested in printing them to look as close to their original form as possible that way I don't break down and cry every time I realize I can't possibly afford to buy the rare expansions. However, they are scanned (beautifully I might add) in a way that the facing pages now share a page. I know that I could take each book apart and put them back together either physically, or electronically so that they could be printed to look original, but I was wondering if there are any scans out there in which someone took the staples out of their books and then scanned the pages that way. Or, it could also work if there was some way to set up adobe(or another program) to do all the work of printing them correctly for me. Any thoughts?

On a barely related note, has anyone ever made an official looking quest book that combines the quests from the magazines, comic, and novels all into one handy volume? That would be quite neat I would think. If not I know what I will need to devote some time to in the future.

My final question. It will be far easier to match the paper of the original books than it would have been to match that of the cards and tiles, but, for reference, what did you folks use? Thanks a ton.

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 7:19 am
by tasoe
where you downloaded them from? drathe has in this site all of the questbooks already in booklet format. that way, when you print them out, you stack every page on top of the other, couple of staples in the middle and they are ready.

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:15 am
by Nephew of Mentor
You know, I thought I downloaded them here, but I guess what you say proves that to be false doesn't it? Haha. Blast my poor memory!! Well, I'm sorry that I wasted forum space but I mistakenly though I originally got them here. That's utterly solved. Thanks again.

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 2:28 pm
by drathe
You may have downloaded them here before I remade them in booklet format a couple years ago. I've yet to booklet the European sets. Gotta get my @$$ in gear and do that soon. (reminders are often necessary with these things ;) )

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:18 pm
by Nephew of Mentor
That does remind me. I know that the original system comes with a different first quest if you buy the European sets, and the monsters have only one body point right? Is there anything different with the expansions? I guess I never thought of that. By the way, I'm sure absolutely nobody is angry at you for not yet having everything perfectly finished. Even if I did have to cut and paste the books back together I would have been eternally grateful for what you have provided so far. Seriously, this stuff is great and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the forum to feel indebted.

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 5:52 pm
by Nephew of Mentor
Hey, just curious, what type of paper do you North American HQers use for printing rulebooks? What size, weight, gloss, source(of paper), etc? Is the cover a different material? Let me know, thanks.

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: January 26th, 2013, 6:19 am
by thequester
Yesterday I borrowed a digital micrometer - which can be used to measure the thickness of paper.
Thought I would take measurements on my collection of Hero Quest rulebooks and contribute my findings here. :)

You will see numbers for my
North American (US) books
British (UK) books
Danish (DK) books
I also measured thickness of the cards I have, as well as a couple of sheets of "normal" printing paper I had - for comparison.
All measurements are in millimetres (mm). You should be able to convert into your local units wherever you are in the world. :)

Sheet size is the size of the paper sheets before they are folded and stapled.
I don't have the equipment to measure how glossy the surface of the paper is, so I'll just give my impression.

Hero Quest - Rules of Play (UK - 1989 version)
Sheet size: 286 mm x 205 mm
Cover thickness: 0.07 - 0.08 mm
Page thickness: 0.07 - 0.08 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

Hero Quest - Rules of Play (UK - 1990 version)
Sheet size: 299 mm x 211 mm
Cover thickness: 0.08 - 0.09 mm
Page thickness: 0.08 - 0.09 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

Hero Quest - Rules of Play (DK - 1990 version)
Sheet size: 299 mm x 213 mm
Cover thickness: 0.08 - 0.09 mm
Page thickness: 0.08 - 0.09 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

Hero Quest - Quest Book (UK - with "The Trial")
Sheet size: 298 mm x 210 mm
Cover thickness: 0.22 - 0.23 mm
Page thickness: 0.07 - 0.08 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

Hero Quest - Quest Book (DK - with "The Trial")
Sheet size: 296 mm x 210 mm
Cover thickness: 0.19 - 0.21 mm
Page thickness: 0.06 - 0.07 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

Kellar's Keep - Quest Book (DK)
Sheet size: 296 mm x 212 mm
Cover thickness: 0.21 - 0.22 mm
Page thickness: 0.07 - 0.08 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

Kellar's Keep - Quest Book (US)
Sheet size: 229 mm x 302 mm
Cover thickness: 0.26 - 0.27 mm
Page thickness: 0.12 mm
Cover glossy, pages matt

Return of the Witch Lord (UK)
Sheet size: 297 mm x 209 mm
Cover thickness: 0.20 - 0.21 mm
Page thickness: 0.07 - 0.08 mm
Cover glossy, pages glossy

The Frozen Horror - Quest Book (US)
Sheet size: 226 mm x 305 mm
Cover thickness: 0.11 - 0.12 mm
Page thickness: 0.11 - 0.12 mm
Cover matt, pages matt

UK Hero Quest cards thickness: 0.27 - 0.30 mm
US Frozen Horror cards thickness: 0.25 - 0.26 mm

And for comparison:
a sheet of 80 grams paper: 0.10 mm
a sheet of 100 grams paper: 0.11 - 0.12 mm

I was surprised at the small variations in sheet size, so I asked someone who had been in the printing business. He told me that normally printing is done on sheets that are a bit too big for the final product, and then at the end they are cut to the size wanted. Small variations then occur in the exact size of the cut. Also, the sheets are cut after they have been folded and stapled, which makes the innermost pages a tiny bit smaller than the outer ones.

Enjoy! :D

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: January 26th, 2013, 6:29 am
by Goblin-King
That is actually very useful, thequester, thanks.

Re: Rulebooks, printing of

PostPosted: January 26th, 2013, 9:13 am
by thequester
Ok, so I couldn't help it :D
Here are the thicknesses of tiles as well. (British, North American and Danish)
Might be useful for Durrag-Dol and others.


UK Hero Quest tiles
Thickness: 0.90 - 0.99 mm
Glossy front, glossy (black) back

US Kellar's Keep tiles
Thickness: 0.56 mm
Glossy front, matt (white) back

DK Kellar's Keep tiles
Thickness: 0.82 - 0.85 mm
Glossy front, matt (white) back

US Frozen Horror tiles
Thickness: 1.11 - 1.18 mm
Glossy front, glossy back (print on both sides)


And as a bonus:


UK character boards
Size: 105 x 145 mm
Thickness: 0.92 - 0.93 mm
Glossy front, glossy back

UK furniture cardboard
Thickness: 0.92 - 0.93 mm
Glossy front, glossy back


Have a great weekend!