• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How I Use the DragonStike Boards

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: How I Use the DragonStike Boards

Postby shy-design » March 4th, 2013, 7:44 pm

I do not write for the blog... that would be awesome to share this on there if you don't mind. I was thing about scripting/narrating the next part of this thread so it will kind of read like a story... nothing too crazy just a little more engaging and witty.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » March 5th, 2013, 2:05 am

yes please do. I'll post them in 4 parts. one for each board.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby shy-design » March 5th, 2013, 10:33 pm

As promised. I shall move on now to the Town board. I bought a complete set of DragonStrike off ebay solely for these boards and namely for this one in particular. My current HQ campaign that I was running (and still running by the way :) ) was coming close to a dramatic end as we got ever so close to the Witch Lord story arc towards the end of the gamesystem quest book. I had thrown in a few quests from yeoldeinn's archive along the way and omitted that crazy magic door mine (quest 10) that in the past has frustrated me. Once we played through the quest 12, where the heros release the Witch Lord and wiggle their way to safety only to find out that the only thing to vanquish this evil was the coveted and unfortunately lost spirit blade...I stopped the adventure.

Ok we all know the story from here... heros quest out to find the blade and then slay the witch lord in the next round ... game over huzzah!

Well I decided to take a different approach with my devout friends/heroes (who were all sucked into this game by this point) and draw out the suspense a little bit more. I wanted the quest for the spirit blade to become this greater achievement, and so finding it would take more time and discovery. Where did it come from? where is it? does anyone know anything about it? And while the Heroes searched for clues and answers to these questions the Witch Lord would grow from his weak state to become a real threat tormenting the land with his undead armies and taking the right hand seat to Zargon himself. So I knew that my heroes journey would have to change from there on out... that the gameplay would have to change and that my friends were ready to take on a more "advanced" HQ experience. I don't own AdvancedHeroquest and I do have copies of ROTWL and KK but I wanted to make this world my own now... keep the core rules and gameplay intact but make adjustments where I felt needed adding in some D&D elements and from there on create the majority of the adventures up myself which would unravel a coherent story line of adventure, reward, deception, and all out fun.
So I wrote, and I drew, and may have become a little obsessed... (but loved and still love ever minute of it) until I was ready.

I wanted to throw out Mentor completely... forget taking quests from some know it all old dude... I wanted a place that the heroes would could return too after completing quests..for actual NPCs... a place that they could immerse themselves in and roleplay their characters more... a place full of NPC plot quests, and story lines, even mini-games... just like some of my favorite RPG video-games. And the key to this for me was the Town board.

I won't bore you with all of my scripted story, but I'll cover the Highlights of course along the way as I take you now through my town, which I named Redbrooke.

I hope you enjoy.

oh and we will need a character to follow for this trip. I chose the elf, his name shall be.... OwlFang :elf:
Last edited by shy-design on March 6th, 2013, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 5th, 2013, 11:37 pm

ok FIrst here let me overview the whole board with a couple of pictures before we start going door to door.

on top is the pic of the board as is... a cool town overlay with decent high fantasy art-work perfectly suited for HQ minis. full of different buildings that house many cool options like a tavern, blacksmith, tailor, warehouses etc.

the bottom picture is a top view of Redbrooke. complete with custom roof tiles with doors (so when a hero opens the door I just remove the tile and place the contents of the building much like a reveal of a dungeon room) I also added some 3-d elements that we shall see detailed in future posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 5th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Here we have OwlFang who is at the typical starting point for entering the town. It stems from the Great Northern road which ends up here at Redbrooke, the southern most occupied town of the Empire. Redbrooke stands as a stronghold of sorts, defended by the river that cuts the town's border to the South and the West. Over these waters lay the Badlands and Blight Region that holds the hordes of Chaos and undead and other things that go bump in the night.

In my campaign the Emperor has sent the four heroes here to help the cause in building Redbrooke's defenses against the ever growing threat of Zargon and the Witch Lord. It is here that they will help the townsfolk in many different quests all the while looking for clues on the whereabouts of the SpiritBlade. They were initially told to seek out the Emperor's loyal follower and Lord of Redbrooke, Mayor Hilly Warrington, for further instruction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 6th, 2013, 12:04 am

the closest approachable door is just ahead to the left, a wooden structure with a thatch roof. It smells of old, dried hay and horse manure... you assume this must be the stables.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 6th, 2013, 12:13 am

you open the door to reveal a generic stable... dusty and mud splattered. Inside a young girl tends feeds the only animal currently in the pin, an old mule.
she does not shy away at your presence, on the contrary she does not seem to stop talking to you... she gives you a run down of the town, and through all the frantic words that run a mile a minute from her mouth you get the gist that she and her family live here in Redbrooke, in fact her Father owns and opperates the local Inn, and her mother works the Tavern. She, herself, is in charge of watching over the animals here in the stable. Her name is Pipa.
Last edited by shy-design on March 6th, 2013, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 6th, 2013, 12:27 am

*so in game*...

Before this point my company of Heros had acquired a pack mule... this mule served as a deposit box for extra items and weapons that the heros could not or needed not to carry into their next quest. I have instated an item and weapon carry limit in my rules to make gameplay a little more realistic. Certain items can be purchased to increase what one can carry such as belts for extra weapons and pouches for extra items (potions, scrolls, other stuff) but you'll see these things as we go along.
So anyways, As you might assume this is now where the mule is kept, Pipa assures them to take care of the teams trusty mule and will be there whenever they are ready to leave. Some quests are multiple quests long... so there is not a chance to return back to town until after a few trials... so when this happens the team will purchase a few extra potions and daggers and such to add to the Mule's load. They are able to access the Mule between each of these quests.
Pipa is also the source for Town Gossip and Rumors,,, being a little kid she has a knack for going eavesdropping... I would love to get my HQ group together once a week, but to be honest it doesn't always happen like that. So whenever a gap of time happens between playing, Pipa is the one to go to to refresh on what has been going on in the game.

oh and I also have this trusted journal that has all of my NPCs stats and info and what they are meant to say . it will change from week to week, and some of the heros have made good relationships with certain villagers... so potential dialogue is scripted in theses pages,,, and it is for my eyes only. I roleplay the NPCs with different accents and voices it gets pretty funny sometimes... especially trying to talk like a little girl .

Here is a pic of Pipa's page

also the item chart for the mule... which I let my Heros name... they chose to name him Conan, the Mulebarian.
Last edited by shy-design on March 6th, 2013, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 6th, 2013, 1:04 pm

After gathering a general since of your whereabouts you decide to go to the one place where you can both find a bit more information about this town as well as kick up your feet and wet your whistle... the local tavern. From Pipa's directions you point your feet west toward the robust structure just across the road. From an outward glance you see a green tile roofed building with a large chimney stack that is producing a fare amount of smoke. As you round the corner of the road, making your way for the front door, you hear the sound of loud voices and the clink clank of ale steins. You approach the door and the tavern's painted sign above the entrance catches your eye. It is an image of a large monster slamming down a large mug of ale... above the graphic you read the establishment's name... The Sloppy Ogre.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » March 6th, 2013, 1:18 pm

You open the door to reveal an alehouse that is furnished with a few tables and chairs as well as a nice large polished bar. Behind the bar you see an overweight woman who greats you with a welcome. Her voice is deep and un-lady like to say the least, and now you start to understand where the name of this place comes from. You step in and immediately feel the warmth from the hearth fire radiating out. you look over to it and see a well built fireplace that is inlaid with colored tiles and toped with a sturdy mantel. On the mantel is a painting of a man wearing a crown... You do not recognize the man in the portrait... but he appears to wear the look of importance... perhaps a king from the Olde World... before the age of the Empire.

Rewards:
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Tiles