• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sjeng's miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Sjeng's miniatures

Postby tasoe » May 27th, 2012, 4:42 pm

the shields are absolutely awesome and the cape is ... absolutely awesome! I really like your choice of colours, perhaps you could add a yellow one in the 3 black orcs. Also the blood spatters look very realistic.

only thing I don't like is the white (or is it yellow?) around the eyes. I had to come clean, sorry about that!
other than that, to me that's a magnificent looking orc army, waiting to be slaughtered!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maike05 » May 27th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Love them !

But Tasoe's right, the eyes really need to be corrected :s That's too bad, because your painting skill is really great on the rest of the mini !!
In my opinion, you should repaint them in black, then add a big red dot and finish it with a little yellow dot. This way, their eyes will look like burning fire.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 28th, 2012, 2:50 am

Thanks! I'm quite happy with the colours too :)

About the eyes: I feel orcs should have yellowish eyes, and red irises just look cool. I like having them as in LotR, and those orcs have either black eyes (large irises) or sickly yellow.
Image Image

And this is really the best I can manage :P (besides, they're already varnished with matt spray)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 28th, 2012, 7:54 am

Oh man, after such an utterly amazing paintjob I really hate to say this, but...

several such fantastic paintjobs seem to me lowered by half due to the presence of the mold seam! I would advise everyone to spend a good 20 minutes for each fig with a hobby knife to gently and precisely remove that damn seam that distracts me to no end! (Not only do I remove the seam - you can see by my avatar I also elected to remove the ball between the horns on the bad guys with that same hobby knife.)

I'm really sorry for taking a dump on the parade of several really skilled painters - not just Sjeng!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 19th, 2012, 1:36 pm

My Fimir are done! I tried cutting away as much of the mouldlines as possible, but after the painting and specifically the washing with thraka green, I still see some lines. But meh, *shrug* I like em :)

Fimir-06.jpg
Fimir-13.jpg
Fimir-14.jpg

I started with the bases, adding Milliput to them, and adding bumps and lines in them. After they hardened, I basecoated the miniatures Chaos Black.
Then I drybrushed the bases with dark and light grey. Then I drybrushed the chainmail under the belly-shields, and painted the eyes red. When that dried, I added the yellow irises, and traced the eyes carefully with goblin green. Then I started the rest of the skin with more green, and then the gold and brown on the armor, and the metal and brown on the axes. Finally I did the details: tail-bones, toenails, teeth, dots on the leather armor parts etc.
After that was done I carefully drybrushed the skin snot green (lighter), and andded some highlights with my smallest brush. Then I washed the entire mini with thraka green wash, and that's it!
All that remains to be done are the edges of the bases (I always give them black edges) and then varnish them with matte spray to preserve the paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 20th, 2012, 8:35 am

They're much better - I don't see much of mould lines; and as I recall the tail and fingers holding the axe could get pretty bad - you did a good job on them, and that isn't even talking about the amazing painting!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 20th, 2012, 12:44 pm

They're awesome, though I prefer my Fimir brownish, which is personal taste.
I like the bases, which make sense in a dungeon.
You see so many HeroQuest minis beautifully painted and then put on grass bases, but I don't wanna open this can of worms... ;)

Beautifully done!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 20th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Most of my mini's have tiles for bases so far, but I will make some outdoor tiles I think. I do have these outdoor boards as you can see, which I might create some quests on. But most will be on the good ol' HQ board, so yes, tiles work best :)
Thanks for the comments :)

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » June 20th, 2012, 6:06 pm

They look really nice ! What have you left to paint ?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » June 21st, 2012, 3:17 am

More nicely painted figures. I really like the clean, clear style you got, but it makes me regret splatting black ink all over mine.

I also wish to know what other figures you have in the pipeline?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures