• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Blood Moon Miniatures: HQ-style figures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Blood Moon Miniatures: HQ-style figures

Postby cynthialee » October 14th, 2011, 5:55 pm

had a boyfriend do one of those 'personal molds'...
the results were pretty much an exact copy of his buisness
still have the toy but not the boyfriend...lol

Anyways back on point...
I don't think that the molding kit would lend itself well to casting HQ mini's.

As for casting in metal...I have an ingot of lead/tin/silver (80,12,8 aprox ratios) that weighs about 50-70 ounces that I might be persuaded to part with. Would that make a good material to cast in? I know the lead is toxic but it is going to be painted over anyways, thus sealing the lead in a few layers of paint and laquer.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » October 14th, 2011, 6:32 pm

el_flesh wrote:It could wind up paying for itself pretty soon I think. If you asked for the same amount a regular available figure goes for today at a store, say 2 or 3 E; plus shipping, it would be doable. I know I would want several figs.

We'll see. First I need the originals. I also plan to make a video tutorial in the near future. Perhaps you can find someone in the US who owns MM / FH (might be easier than here in Europe) and make the molds at his/her place, as you said in an earlier post.
You ought to be able to get a few of them together in one mould, minimizing your Si expense.
Of course I would do so. It's already in the calculation.
One other thing - there are kits in sex shops that let you make a copy of your junk for your lover. If it's the same quality mould making, it might be more economical!

Nice idea. I never tried one of these, but I doubt it would work. There are different kinds of silicone rubber. Not all of them are temperature-resistant. When you buy modelling silicone, you can choose the more flexible, but less temperature-resistant kind for plaster or resin casting, or the slightly less flexible, but temperature resistant kind for metal casting (which you of course can also use for plaster or resin). Chances are, you use the first kind for plaster-casting private parts, or, even more probable, it is no silicone at all, but latex. Thats great for the purpose, but impossible to use for gaming minis.

had a boyfriend do one of those 'personal molds'...

Perhaps you recall the material of the mould?
I have an ingot of lead/tin/silver (80,12,8 aprox ratios) that weighs about 50-70 ounces that I might be persuaded to part with. Would that make a good material to cast in? I know the lead is toxic but it is going to be painted over anyways, thus sealing the lead in a few layers of paint and laquer.
Had to look up the weight of ounzes :)
The alloy sounds like a typical traditional casting metal (today bismut and antimon would be probably put in instead of silver). Would surely work well. Lead is toxic, but not very strong. Would not recommend to put it in mouth or give it to toddlers, but normal handling is no problem. Drink water pipes were made of lead for centuries (and into the 1970's). Of course, people became ill, but only after drinking this water for years (the problem is that lead sums up in the body over time).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » October 14th, 2011, 7:21 pm

I am pretty sure that it was plaster of paris in the kit for the mould.
The stuff that the casting is made with is a rubberey substance. You have to mix the powder provided with water and then cast. Stuff stinks of chemicals for weeks afterwards.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » October 15th, 2011, 3:03 am

Big Bene wrote:The pewter is really inexpensive. Say, rather less than 10€ for this amount. The silicone ruber for the moulds is much more expensive, you would need around 3000gr, wich would be around 80 € if you find an unopened can at ebay, much more at the store. Of course, you can use the moulds several times. It depends on how many people would share the moulds. I initially planned to make and keep the moulds on my own expenses, but I had not yet given a thought about how much I would take for a figure in this case. I think taking a small fee for the work and expenses would be OK, but how much? No idea...

bene, the problem is that if I had to create molds for all the minis I have to spend lots of money for the rubber and I can't afford that cost. But if I share/trade/sell/donate (say it as you like) some sets with other people, It will be fine.

And have in mind that I spend many time to have the wanted results, it is not easy... Check the picture bellow... The 80% of the castings are like this... The result is acceptable but still have problems... Check the right foot which is bad(don't mind the details on the sword, It needs some cut on the edges, but it is ok)... This mini will be melted and casted again, and again, and again, and that is a lot of time... I won't do it for 10 E :?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » October 15th, 2011, 4:04 am

Cynthialee wrote:I am pretty sure that it was plaster of paris in the kit for the mould.
The stuff that the casting is made with is a rubberey substance. You have to mix the powder provided with water and then cast. Stuff stinks of chemicals for weeks afterwards.

OK, I think I know this substance. Have seen a friend using it for casting a piece of architecture for Warhammer. No idea about the name and chemical qualities of that stuff. Pretty sure it won't work for our purposes.
Patroclus wrote:bene, the problem is that if I had to create molds for all the minis I have to spend lots of money for the rubber and I can't afford that cost. But if I share/trade/sell/donate (say it as you like) some sets with other people, It will be fine.

Same here. I would include into the calculation that I would get a set of copy Mage of the Mirror and Frozen Horror miniatures in the bargain, so it would be OK for me to take a certain amount of the expenses myself. But the costs are quite high, and I'm all but rich, so basically I have the same "problem". Which is easy to solve, I think. Most people would be willing to pay a small fee for the copies. Only question is, how much?
And have in mind that I spend many time to have the wanted results, it is not easy... Check the picture bellow... The 80% of the castings are like this... The result is acceptable but still have problems... Check the right foot which is bad(don't mind the details on the sword, It needs some cut on the edges, but it is ok)... This mini will be melted and casted again, and again, and again, and that is a lot of time... I won't do it for 10 E
80% are like this? That's way too much... May need some additional airpipes? You can cut them still in the finished mould with a razor blade or paper knive. Perhaps post a photo of the mold?
Big Bene wrote:Perhaps you can find someone in the US who owns MM / FH (might be easier than here in Europe) and make the molds at his/her place, as you said in an earlier post.
Sorry for the confusion, Flesh said this in a PN.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » October 16th, 2011, 2:11 am

el_flesh wrote:It could wind up paying for itself pretty soon I think. If you asked for the same amount a regular available figure goes for today at a store, say 2 or 3 E; plus shipping, it would be doable. I know I would want several figs. You ought to be able to get a few of them together in one mould, minimizing your Si expense.

no, double is too much... if a mini costs 4-6 E, the basic set of 35 is 140-210... even if you don't want to paint your original minis, even if you like the weight of metal, I am sure you won't spend that much...

I think 3 E per mini is ok... 35 minis are 105 E + shipping from europe
10 minis are 30 E... a very good price...

ps: if someone posts Mage of Mirror, Frozen Horror or Against Ogre Horde miniatures will get them back + in metal + a free basic set

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » October 16th, 2011, 10:51 am

if I had them I would go for it

I have been watching ebay but I cant afford 300-600$ for a supliment. This girl ain't made of money.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » May 28th, 2015, 4:50 pm

His Facebook page has some new Yetis (not sure about the scale):
ImageImageImageImageImage
Yeti1 Yeti2 Yeti3 Yeti4 Yeti5
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby herman_the_german » July 23rd, 2015, 8:31 pm

Bones III has a handful of Yetis:

almost two days to go before it ends.
herman_the_german

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » July 23rd, 2015, 11:43 pm

Yes, these three appear to be by the same artist that did the current Reaper Yeti. I just can't get past the missing fingers.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures