• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Painting figures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Painting figures

Postby DragonHead » August 30th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Hello, haven't been on a while,but I've decided to paint my monsters, I'd like some tips on it.

Is there special paint? Special technique for painting? Do you use toothpicks? Do you buy new colors or mix old ones for new colors?

Finally, is there a reliable source where I can get more figures?
Clairclaw, The witch lord even The Terror King and Zargon bow before me, part before my will, my power.I am all mighty, I control the universe,the mage of all, the destroyer of nations,I am the creator, I am Dragonhead!!!!!
DragonHead

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Painting figures

Postby gravaillon » August 31st, 2011, 12:16 pm

WELCOME TO THE FANTASTIC WORLD OF GAME'S WORKSHOP HOBBY MAN !!!!
If you want to paint your figures, buy the game's workshop paint pot (each for 3 euros !!!!) it is expensive, but it is the best paint for your figures (this post is not spam !!!)

first, you just need to buy basic color (1 black, 1 white, 2 different brown, 1 dwarf flesh (don't take elf flesh, it's a bad colour), 1 green (for orc), 1 bones (for undead figures), 1 red, 1 blue). With those colour, you have all you need to begin ! Later, when you will be more experienced, you will certainly wanted to buy more colours.

To paint well, paint first all your figures in black. Then, the technic is to add light and colour little by little to the figure. Then you start in black. Buy some great pencil too, don't take the cheaper or synthetic... It's very important to have good pencil...

The best way to make good painting is to pratice. Begin with the black base, and be patient... Choose your colours, mix them if you want more nuances...etc. A great technic is called brushing to put a final touch to your paint work. It is very easy.

if you want to buy more figures too, go to game's workshop too... For me, they have the best figures for heroquest in the warhammer battle game. You can find ogre (30 euros for 6 figures), great orcs, goblins, beastmen, chaos warriors, skelettons, skaven (20 euros for 10/20 figures)...etc. Go to the Games Workshop website, you will also find some good tips to learn how ^painting miniatures, and also buy the adequate material for it...

I repeat again, that this post is not spam !!!
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » September 14th, 2011, 6:58 am

There are many other companies that sell great paint (although I have GW paints too, as there's not much else for sale where I live). Always use acrylic paints.
And for extra miniatures, you should also check out Reaper miniatures, and Ral Partha. Just google it. ;)

Painting requires 1 very fine brush for detail, 1 bigger brush for filling in the base colours, a can of black primer paint to basecoat your minis (always base coat!!!).
You can also buy a drybrush brush, search youtube for drybrushing techniques.

There's a LOT of info on youtube, so I suggest you watch some, and read the forum for tips and get planty of examples for reference!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 15th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Vallejo http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/game-color-gb.html makes quality acrylic paints that are cheaper than the paints from Citadel/Games Workshop if you want an option.
If you want to paint a figure with brighter colors such as yellow, you should start with a white primer. Otherwise black is fine and will save you time. You may also want to consider the "dip" method. Paint only a bright version of the base colors, dip them in a medium-to-light-brown varnish (or paint it on), then shake off the excess. It's messier but fast, creating a durable finish that provides tabletop detail in one step. Check out this link. It even has Heroquest figures used as examples. :)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 29th, 2012, 3:44 pm

check this topic for further techniques ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Spiky » December 30th, 2012, 3:57 am

i can also recommend Vallejo paints, especially the game colour range which closely matches GW's range of colours.

The 'essential' thing I buy from GW however is their Devlan Mud wash, which i paint on as a shade once the base colours are painted.
then you simply re-apply your base colours as a first highlight and you're pretty much there!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
Spiky

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 30th, 2012, 4:32 am

Have anyone any experience with mixing GW and Vallejo paint on the same mini?
Is it do-able or does it get weird.

I once used two different brands of paint on a painting and the shinyness was just a little different and it looked terrible.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spiky » December 30th, 2012, 5:05 am

Goblin-King wrote:Have anyone any experience with mixing GW and Vallejo paint on the same mini?
Is it do-able or does it get weird.

I use both and never noticed an issue, although i generally put brush-on matte varnish over the top anyway

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
Spiky

Necromancer
Necromancer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Miniatures