• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: KrautScientist finally (hopefully) paints his HeroQuest

Postby KrautScientist » February 6th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Cheers for the kind words, everyone! I really appreciate it! :)

I have to admit that I still think the model lestodante shared in the other thread is an even better fit for Sir Ragnar, but this is the best I could come up with with the bitz I had. I am also not too bothered about the forked beard: Together with the frilly trousers, that element suits the look of an Empire Nobleman rather nicely, I think.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby KrautScientist » February 8th, 2019, 2:04 pm

So, time for another small update: Just finished a test model for the Skeletons. I needed a new approach, as my previous recipe (tested back in 2014) just didn't feel quite right:

The bone colour was brushed on straight over the brown undercoat, which made for a pretty uneven, dirty feel. Now the new recipe still makes heavy use of drybrushing, but I started by laying down a solid foundation bone colour first, then adding a heavy wash and brushing with a lighter bone colour:

It's still not super involved or anything, but I think it works better. And I can see myself easily finishing a bunch of these in a relatively short amount of time.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Maurice76 » February 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm

It looks solid! I do wonder, how do you make the rusted pattern on the weapon? It has a fairly realistic touch to it :).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » February 8th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Cheers, Maurice! The rust effect is actually very easy to achieve: The blade is undercoated in brown (I use GW's Mournfang Brown spray for most of my HQ models), then I add some Typhus Corrosion onto it. The paint contains a bit of sand, so it creates just the slightest bit of texture. Then I use a small piece of blister sponge to sponge on the rust using GW Ryza Rust. Then I pick out the edges with a silver colour and add a couple of scratches -- done.

Hope this helps! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Anderas » February 8th, 2019, 2:53 pm

It's a beauty! I did rusty skeletons last year and yes that's a quick and easy way to paint them. And beautiful.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

That is some great brush work you have done on all your minis. Keep posting, I'm enjoying watching what you have done. |_P
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » February 9th, 2019, 11:11 am

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

To illustrate my earlier point, here's a comparison picture showing my earlier skeleton test model and the new approach. I really think the new recipe works a lot better!

I have also managed to finish another chaos warrior -- these guys are actually quite fun to paint!

Even better, though: That means I have managed to salvage both chaos warriors that had already been previously painted. The remaining two are still pristine and should be even easier to paint.

Oh, and I am also working on my own version of the Witch Lord. Here's an early WIP shot for you:

To be honest, in my heart of hearts, I would prefer to own the kind of Witch Lord model lestodante has shared on his thread, but in the absence of that option, I wanted to try and come up with my own interpretation of the character.

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby KrautScientist » February 10th, 2019, 11:04 am

Huh, seems I'll just keep talking to myself here... ;)

Anyway, here's another update: I've finished my Witch Lord kitbash:

Of course the conversion looks rather hideous that way -- fortunately enough, the undercoat has done a great job of pulling it all together. Take a look:

Even though I had to make a couple of compromises, I still tried to hit as many visual cues from Les Edwards artwork as I could:

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » February 10th, 2019, 11:12 am

That looks...uhh great! Can't say much else...
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kitch1982 » February 10th, 2019, 11:18 am

Love this WL, even more than the original. So much scarier!
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures