• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: KrautScientist finally (hopefully) paints his HeroQuest

Postby Pancho » February 4th, 2019, 12:05 pm

You people organize your painting tables?!?

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby KrautScientist » February 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

On the matter of organising your painting table, I am basically the most chaotic person in the world, but I'd still say that even a small bit of organisation can go a long way, especially when it saves you the time of having to set everything up each time: My muse is fickle, and if it takes me half an hour to set up shop, chances are my motivation may have passed altogether. Which is why I'd always suggest some kind of painting station, tablet or something similar, so you can keep your paints, palette and model(s) you are currently working on together and quickly set them up when you have a bit of time. This need not even be sophisticated: For these latest HQ models, I have simply set the small box I keep my most important paint in on my lap and worked at my desk.

Speaking of which, here's the next batch of finished models. The Zombies:

As you can see, I have gone for a very mouldy palette, seeing how these are, after all, shambling corpses ;)

Oh, and on a partially related note, while digging through an old stack of WD back issues, I came upon a standalone game called "Squig Race" that was published in WD back in the late 90s. It features dedicated cardboard tiles that are very much in the classic HQ style (and might even fit the gameboard):

As you can see, the tiles include a squig pit, shaman's den and mushroom patch. Somebody else has probably already uploaded them elsewhere in the forum, but if not, I could make some proper scans of them one of these days, in case anyone's interested.

In closing, I couldn't help staging another small vignette:

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Maurice76 » February 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Those :zombie: look amazing! I especially like the rusted patterns on the weapons!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 4th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Those tiles would be most welcome here. The bottom one looks vaguely familiar but I haven't seen the squig pen or the fly agaric one here on the forum.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby KrautScientist » February 5th, 2019, 1:39 pm

@ Maurice76: Thanks a lot! :)

@ Pancho: Cool. I'll make some proper scans of them as soon as I next have access to a scanner!

In the meantime, I got a bit sidetracked: The notion of using the Chaos Sorcerer as a standin for Sir Ragnar/Manfred (it'll always be Ragnar to me, because for a native speaker of German, having a character in a fantasy-themed setting called "Manfred" just seems a bit weird, even if it fits the Warhammer trend for giving Empire characters Germanic names) didn't sit well with me -- even less so after I saw some of the really cool alternate models people have been coming up with, especially this guy shared here by lestodante. So I quickly made a kitbash to represent Ragnar/Manfred:

I tried to make him look a bit frayed around the edges, and his hands are still shackled -- the look kinda fits his less than impressive statline, I'd say ;)

Most importantly, though, the scale of the model works pretty well with the official models, which was my biggest concern:

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 5th, 2019, 2:35 pm

That's a great looking Ragnar! What'd you create him from?

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » February 5th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Cheers! :) It's a really simple kitbash from some plastic WFB Empire bits and bobs; The torso and arms came from the Empire flagellants, the legs are from the old plastic Empire state troops, and the head is from the multipart Empire Knights.

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby clmckay » February 5th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna chime in here and say that Sir Ragnar is fantastic. I think I have every one of those sets you mentioned, so tonight I'm going to take a stab at making that.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 5th, 2019, 5:00 pm

That's a really awesome Ragnar model. He looks angry as hell that he's been holed up in a cell for so long.
The only thing I'd recommend is a little bit of filler could be used to bridge the gap between the forks of his beard. Either that or just say that the orcs sliced it down the middle in a close shave.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » February 5th, 2019, 7:40 pm

You, sir, made that Sir Ragnar come to life. Barely so, given his time in prison, but alive nonetheless. Would use it in my game, if I had it available.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures