• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Frozen horror

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Frozen horror

Postby whitebeard » August 16th, 2018, 7:07 pm

picollogoku wrote:Wel there are a lot of other factors besides the scans. Resolution of printer, extrusion speed/diameter, time per piece. I am using a luzbot 6 about a 1,600 printer and they take 1-2 hrs each. If they took any longer it would not be worth my time. I would just buy Mondos recast at 5 to 8 bucks a pop. Even the best 3d printer and scanner at that scale would not come out much better. I have used a few printers. You are right the scans could be brtter but most printers could not manage the quality at that scale

These scans are poor and your printer should easily out perform them. My $200 Ender 3 prints at 0.05mm height resolution and I have great default settings for Hatchbox White PLA (the other colors do not print minis as well with the same temperature, etc). For a model as big as the Frozen Horror, I would not mind leaving the printer running for 8 hours (100% in-fill, all bottom layers).

I have printed a few models and posted them in my projects thread. http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4254&start=20#p86714 My barbarian is prety much perfect, all of the face details are there, including the eyebrows. The layers are not visible to my 40+ year old naked eye, however they do show up with paint... you just need to avoid washes. This Barbarian scan came from Thingiverse, the web site with the Frozen horror STL also has a Barbarian and is not even close. I figure the level of detail in a perfect HQ figure scan is the limit of performance for my printer. I printed a cool 300mb custom Chaos warrior model off of Thiniverse a while back and the tiny details did not all make it.

That Frozen Horror scan needs some attention before I spend time painting it. Unfortunately I don't have the time.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby picollogoku » August 16th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Jesus 8 hrs. No thanks lol
picollogoku

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member
n[/champion]

Postby whitebeard » August 16th, 2018, 8:09 pm

picollogoku wrote:Jesus 8 hrs. No thanks lol

:lol: Do you like to watch? :lol:

I understand you may not want the hours on your machine. My $200 dollar machine is idle for weeks at a time. The Barbarian only took about 2 hours. But 8 is probably right for that FH model at 100% infill. And 1 mini per day is a fine limit for me considering I paint them. |_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby picollogoku » August 16th, 2018, 10:08 pm

I just use one at the library. I don't have to stay or anything but i am thinking of buying one.
picollogoku

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member
n[/champion]

Postby Maurice76 » August 17th, 2018, 3:17 am

picollogoku wrote:The conversation leads me to believe that an hq reissue is at least being discussed.

Instant buy! That's the stuff that simply screams, "shut up and take my :2cents: !"

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 17th, 2018, 6:23 am

Maurice76 wrote:That's the stuff that simply screams, "shut up and take my :2cents: !"

"And give nothing in return" - Management of GameZone
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby picollogoku » August 27th, 2018, 7:54 am

So thingiverse scans are at a much better res but they do not have expansions. Wordpress is the only place those can be found
picollogoku

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member
n[/champion]

Postby brlinzy » March 22nd, 2019, 4:34 pm

whitebeard wrote: These scans are poor and your printer should easily out perform them. My $200 Ender 3 prints at 0.05mm height resolution and I have great default settings for Hatchbox White PLA (the other colors do not print minis as well with the same temperature, etc). For a model as big as the Frozen Horror, I would not mind leaving the printer running for 8 hours (100% in-fill, all bottom layers).

Whitebeard do you mind sharing the model of the printer you use? I've been considering self making some of the mini figs for the expansions not released in the US. I also have a second set that has no minifigures that I want to round out and send off to my brother for a Christmas gift this year...
brlinzy

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » March 23rd, 2019, 12:23 am

brlinzy wrote:
whitebeard wrote: These scans are poor and your printer should easily out perform them. My $200 Ender 3 prints at 0.05mm height resolution and I have great default settings for Hatchbox White PLA (the other colors do not print minis as well with the same temperature, etc). For a model as big as the Frozen Horror, I would not mind leaving the printer running for 8 hours (100% in-fill, all bottom layers).

Whitebeard do you mind sharing the model of the printer you use? I've been considering self making some of the mini figs for the expansions not released in the US. I also have a second set that has no minifigures that I want to round out and send off to my brother for a Christmas gift this year...

Sent you a PM

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Miniatures