Page 1 of 5

Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 11:37 am
by aaronAGN
If this topic is already around, sorry for the post, i didn't see it.
I just got one of the pewter Morcar minis from the 90s.
But when it arrived in the mail the top of the staff was broken and its hand broke off.
The super glue i used didn't work.
It did manage to glue my fingertips together though.
Should i get a certain type of glue?
Does a certain kind work better on pewter as opposed to plastic?

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 12:26 pm
by j_dean80
From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 3:10 pm
by aaronAGN
j_dean80 wrote:From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.


Holding it in place seems to be the problem. The fist and staff head are very tiny and I seem to get them stuck to my finger.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 3:29 pm
by Thor-in
I’ve always use Testors metal and wood cement for my metal miniatures. I was just looking up other products and maybe you could try super glue steel repair.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 4:48 pm
by whitebeard
j_dean80 wrote:From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.


I am able to accelerate the sticking of super glue.

What you need to understand is that super glue cures with water. This is why it immediarely bonds to your fingers.

To make it stick faster, I touch the two pieces together then pull them appart and breath on them as if you were trying to fog a lense for cleaning.

A light weight part usually sticks immediately after this. If not try it a second / third time. You may be using too much glue!

This is the only way to glue the GW skeleton warriors. It is cool that they are posable, but glueing them together is quite taxing.

If the surface is too small and it falls off easily after the glue is dry, you may need to get a micro drill and insert a pin inside both parts to get a good bond. Not sure how much luck you will have drilling pewter, but I suspect these are actally white metal. And the last option is to sculpt new parts from green stuff, which will stick no problem. Infact you could just sandwich some greenstuff inbetween and you should be good to go when it dries.

Let us know what worked for you... and please post a picture!

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 5:58 pm
by aaronAGN
I just talked with George Solomon-Simms aka Fimm McCool over at the Oldhammer forums.
Also sculptor and owner of Oakbound Studios.
And he also said to try pinning it with a micro drill.
I don't know what that is, where to get it, how much they cost, and what kind of pin to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And please don't say "Google it"

Whitebeard here's pic 1

Image

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 7:42 pm
by whitebeard
I'm not an expert with this but I expect the white metal will yield before the drill bit. And this is a cool tool which will come in handy on occasion. I'm always fixing things for my son, so I've used it twice for minis and twice for repairs in the year I have owned it.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Twist-0-3m ... icro+drill

For the pin, you need to select the material yourself, then select the drill bit to match. Short pieces of wire work nicely. I like to use the clipped leads from an electrical resistor. Any metal rod will work, from anywhere.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 9:30 pm
by j_dean80
aaronAGN wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.


Holding it in place seems to be the problem. The fist and staff head are very tiny and I seem to get them stuck to my finger.


To fix this problem I prop it up with something or lay it down to dry being sure the glued area isn't touching though.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 10:41 pm
by Fallensaviour
I prefer to drill and pin,then crazy glue using the water method,then I’ll put a little green stuff on it to blend in and add strength.
I don’t have a mini drill I use a dremel with mini bits.
Good luck it’s a pain in the ass.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 11:35 pm
by aaronAGN
I don't have a mini drill or a dremmel.
And i don't have ANY intention of buying anything else for this.
I've spent way too much on these minis as it is.
I'm not a collector.
I'm not a miniature hobbyist.
I'm just a guy that wanted to play HeroQuest with his friends.
And I'm frustrated.
Gonna try some stronger glue.
And if that doesn't work, the pewter Morcar is up for grabs for anyone who wants it.