• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Lemmeron's Hero Quest Painted Stuff

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Lemmeron's Hero Quest Painted Stuff

Postby Lemmeron » May 1st, 2015, 12:29 am

This all came about after dusting off hero quest in December last year, and then having nothing to do while visiting my parents down the coast over the Christmas break. I have never considered myself artistic, and until January this year I dont recall having ever painted anything other than a few walls with a paint roller. So i went to the local hobby shop and bought a few Tamiya Paints because that was all they had, and borrowed a couple of citadel paints from my brother, did some reading about dry brushing etc and gave it a go...

With out further a-do these are my first painted miniatures (I am going to go back and paint the bases to match the newer ones I have painted instead of black)

I started with skeletons because I was told they were the easiest...
I played around with a few different techniques and colours to get a mixed array of skelletons which I liked.

then moved onto Zombies

and then had a go at doing a mummy and practicing fine brush lines. It came up ok, but looks alot less wet now that I have given it a coat of matte varnish

Once I redo the bases on them and give them all a coat of matte varnish, I will repost the final ones...

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Lemmeron's Hero Quest Painted Stuff

Postby knightkrawler » May 1st, 2015, 12:59 am

The matt varnish seems to be of utmost importance after Tamiya paints. I'd wager it's those that have the most sheen in these pictures.
Nicely done, though. Clean and very good for firsts. Continue.
You can also easily upgrade by highlighting and shading the skeletons later on and put detail in the spear handles and so forth.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Lemmeron » May 1st, 2015, 1:26 am

Yeah for sure, I will do a bit more brush work to them now I have a bit more experience, I wanted to post them up as they were though to give myself and others a reference of my progress. I will post some of my newer ones soon as a comparison

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » May 1st, 2015, 2:54 pm

Nice job, I like the three skeletons in the middle best, and good job on the rust effects!
Look forward to seeing your progress :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Lemmeron » May 2nd, 2015, 8:27 am

Here is the next monster I painted. This is the last one I did before I decided what I was going to do with the bases....

Rewards:
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Lemmeron » May 7th, 2015, 8:50 am

Next painted figures are the HEROES !!!!

ImageImage

Rewards:
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 7th, 2015, 10:00 am

Maybe you could give the skin a last thin wash with a Sepia tone?

Apart from that, I really like them!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 7th, 2015, 12:06 pm

You can certainly be proud of the Dwarf and the clothes of the Elf.
Try using browns and sandy colors for blond next time.
Your brushwork is becoming cleaner and the layered highlights are awesome.
Also, I do like the bases, which are where I'd use a sepia wash, but very thin and trying to get a certain splotchiness in areas.
The Wizard's tunic will become cleaner if you avoid painting over ... is that blue? .. and start with a medium brown that covers well, and then lighten it up in steps till you reach your base color. What I want to say, in the pictures this looks like you used the cream color too soon without covering the underlying color first. Light base colors are that frustrating.
All in all, I say, Way to Go.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Lemmeron » May 8th, 2015, 8:43 am

I painted these up early February so still lots to learn. I didn't start getting skin right until I discovered a red glaze over the barbarian made a huge difference.

I will likely go back over them or if someone has extra heroes for trade I mgight get a 2nd set and have a second go at them.

Thanks for the feedback it is good to get some pointers.

Now onto some furniture...

I did these first to get a feel for how to paint wood as that is something I still have to go back and do on all my skellies

And also the tables

I have since added a few thin orange glazes to the wood so it matches the cardboard closer.

And lastly for now is my tomb. This one turned out better than I had hoped. The guy on the table looks freshly cold and lifeless :) this was painted more recently and I am starting to use much thinner layers and getting the idea of blending and base colours etc. It was also good practice how to handle red which I then used well on my chaos knight dude.

Rewards:
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » May 8th, 2015, 11:24 am

Cool paint job. I believe this is meant to be a sarcophogas and the body is inside. The figure on top is a statue and at a larger scale.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures