• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My minis

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: My minis

Postby Stig » April 28th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Wow you took their course! It’s on my bucket list. I’m jealous.

I also need to throw compliments your way, your minis look great! I absolutely love the tiles on the bases. They look amazing and I reckon I’m going to try and copy you :D

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby DullandRusty » April 28th, 2020, 11:09 pm

I love that chair, everytime I go back to it I think I need to paint mine
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » April 28th, 2020, 11:18 pm

One question for you or any other experienced painters, what size brush are you using for eyes? I have heard some say small, others say larger bc small brushes dry before the paint gets applied to the mini
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 29th, 2020, 12:24 am

It's an unsolved question for me. Sometimes I take the size 1 brush, sometimes size 2. If those brushes have too big tips that very day, I go searching my old brush collection from the days when I thought I need small brushes. I do have them all here, from 0 to 0000. But their tip most often is not better than the one of my size 1, so using them doesn't help. You can use a toothpick too, if you're talking about that final eye highlight.

Stig, if the Roman painting class is on your list, just take it. It's worth the time and money, as you meet lots of nice people there. On my weekend, Rafa was there too, and what was his name, the metallic expert. Super nice people!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » April 29th, 2020, 1:37 am

DullandRusty wrote:One question for you or any other experienced painters, what size brush are you using for eyes? I have heard some say small, others say larger bc small brushes dry before the paint gets applied to the mini

Definitely a good quality large brush. A good quality brush will come to a point sharp enough to do the detail work. A small brush has too high a surface area to volume ratio causing the paint to dry up. My best brush ever, that allowed me to do eyes, was size 2. It was incredible, the point was superb, it wouldn’t dry; was just like holding a pen! You won’t need anything smaller than a size 0 though.

If you’re going to get a good brush, best visit an art store. They’re hand made and all different so you’ll want to see them in person. A bit like how my granny buys vegetables.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 29th, 2020, 8:56 am

Thanks for the massivevoodoo link Stig and Anderas, I checked out some and it looks like a great resource! Exactly what I was looking for right now, to learn how to paint better. :)

I just saw your zealot doors and stairway Anderas, what a nice colorscheme! They look supercool. I wanna try to paint mine so they come out similar to yours but I dont have an airbrush. Could I just use your recipee like you described or are there any tricks for replicating the airbrush effect.

I was also blown away by how you paint this flowing effect when painting long flowing coats. Could you give me a tip on how to achieve this nice effect?

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » April 29th, 2020, 9:35 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:are there any tricks for replicating the airbrush effect.

I was in this position once. I used my wife's blusher brush (large, flat, soft) and drybrushed the colour on. The drybrushing involved several stages, building up the colour from a dull colour drybrushed lightly, to a bright colour drybrushed more heavily in a concentrated area.

She didn't want her brush back.

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 29th, 2020, 10:01 am

Stig wrote:

I was in this position once. I used my wife's blusher brush (large, flat, soft) and drybrushed the colour on. The drybrushing involved several stages, building up the colour from a dull colour drybrushed lightly, to a bright colour drybrushed more heavily in a concentrated area.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

killin me

:lol:

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 29th, 2020, 10:43 am

Stig wrote:

The airbrush is not a big help here, I had to do what stig did for most of the steps. However my wife can be aggressive so I used normal brushes not hers. :D :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 30th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Hey Weltenlaeufer, sorry for the late reply. I had to scroll way back to find what you were talking about when you mentioned the "flow"of the capes.

Indeed, I think they are difficult. They have a double light gradient: One goes from inside the fold (dark) to outside the fold (light). The other one goes from top and outstanding parts (light) to bottom or inward bent parts (dark).

That's why I put black primer, then white primer from the top. Here you have already already parts standing out that should stand out, however most of the folds are equally bright on the outside and inside.
Next I apply the color of the cape, thinly so that the two-color-base still shines through, then I use a wash or I make a wash with medium and make the inside of the folds darker, the outside brighter.

Then to challenge myself, I sometimes paint a picture on the cloak. Back in the day I started with a line going round the base of the cloak, always trying to follow that awesome smooth gradient that the airbrush made, later I made more complicated motives. All of them work great :-)

Today I made an Ork. I tried True Metal the first time on the sword. I will try to upload it later the day.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures