• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

knightkrawler's gallery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

Postby knightkrawler » January 5th, 2016, 11:52 am

sajungzak wrote:This ogre looks amazing. Like most of your minis, I'd be happy if mine were half as good!
The colors go well together. Don't you usually use more contrast, or am I just not seeing it? The free hand it's excellent.

Thanks, man. As for the contrast: that light coming from the right side of the picture needs to be eliminated. It washes the contrasts happening down a shitload and I hate it. It didn't look that way on the camera. Anyhow...
On the figure, the contrast does show up, as I used the same color for darkening down the oranges and greens. It's that dark blue used for the checkers and it's almost pure in all the colors' shadows. The base rim is also that color as well as the beard shadow glazes in the face.
This really is an exercise with a somewhat limited palette: an orange, a green, a skintone, all of them subdued with a touch of black to get the base colors.
All of them lightened up for the highlights with a bone color and darkened down, as mentioned, with a dark blue.
The orange re-used for the rust, the blue for the hair, the bone for the freehands and so on.
Plus, one metallic paint.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » January 8th, 2016, 2:21 am

I like your ogre, and i like the pattern on his cloths.

Maybe next time you could work a little bit on the lighting for your photos - i found it favorable to have only one color in the photo light, in order to be able to correct the color of the light in photoshop. Your photo seems to have yellow bulb light left and a blue afternoon light from the window on the right side. These light sources nearly hide the pattern on the skin and the beard. Both, i'd like to see in more detail if it is possible?

Do you have a normal point and shoot cam/mobile phone or is it something else? for point and shoot cams and mobile phones, a mid grey background is most favorable.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 8th, 2016, 6:45 am

I have a cheap digicam from Aldi. I'll look for a grey background to use outside in daylight and then if necessary other settings.
At this point, I'm pretty freakin' clueless as to what to do short of buying a hugeass DSLR which I cannot afford by any means.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » January 8th, 2016, 11:54 am

Normally, mid-brightness background is sufficient. Grey is just an example. My system camera shows every hair and every dust and every painting failure, so that I often find myself forced to downscale the pics until they roughly fit the real size on the screen.
In short, the precise cam makes more work for no added value.

Your cheap cam will automatically adjust to the good coloration if the majority of the picture is something neutral.

Put white in the back and it auto-adjust to dark pictures. Put black and it will auto-adjust until your model shines line a led.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » January 8th, 2016, 1:33 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I have a cheap digicam from Aldi. I'll look for a grey background to use outside in daylight and then if necessary other settings.
At this point, I'm pretty freakin' clueless as to what to do short of buying a hugeass DSLR which I cannot afford by any means.

my photography setup is cheap as chips. i didnt spend a lot on a camera probably about 90 quid about 5 years ago.so you would be able to pick up a much better camera nowadays at that same price.
and my lamp is simply a daylit strip lamp. the entire setup cost a total of 130 quid.
backgrounds i simply use a few sheets of A4 paper. then it was a case of trial and error with settings etc.

i think im able to get pretty good results. and i think im due a camera update fairly soon too

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » January 9th, 2016, 12:22 pm

ampersand wrote:i think im able to get pretty good results. and i think im due a camera update fairly soon too

Understatement???

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 9th, 2016, 3:47 pm

No Camera Update!

Light and Background, that's all.

In Ampersand's case, apparently there was the option to manually play with the camera settings - otherwise i would avoid white background.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » January 10th, 2016, 2:44 am

Way hay.. Doombull, I believe, one of my all time favourite retro-minotaurs :) Top stuff :D

The ogre is very subdued and lovely - previous work was a great reveiw since last I read :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 8th, 2016, 5:28 am

News from the Krib.
I think the Boyz are showworthy although I tend to never think a mini is finished. I'm pondring if these might need their metals darkened down and re-rusted with pigments...

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » February 8th, 2016, 10:26 am

I like the metal on the backside of Orc 4 the most. I will try that same with one of my models soon!

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures