• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mantic's Kings of War Mhorgoth's Revenge box

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Mantic's Kings of War Mhorgoth's Revenge box

Postby Sjeng » September 25th, 2013, 1:40 pm

So, after reading about different companies and their miniatures, I thought I'd post some more info on Mantic's "Kings of War" set "Mhorgoth's Revenge". This box is currently OOP, but remade as Mhorgoth Rising, with just a few differences in the sprues (Dwarven shieldbreakers added instead of some other dwarves).

Pictures of all sprues, click here, then scroll to the right for next picture. Dice indicate the number of sprues.

Review 1
Review 2

Also check out my painting topic for examples of painted minis. zombies, skeletons, dwarves.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mantic's Kings of War Mhorgoth's Revenge box

Postby Daedalus » October 3rd, 2013, 6:32 pm

Nice work. Unfortunately for me, my group includes Warhammer players who want that more ponderous, but detailed game. Waiting for the Dwarves and Elves to improve.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » November 5th, 2013, 2:15 am

From the moment you made this I've been wanting this set. Which do you think's better Revenge or Rising if I could find either? For the riflemen/crossbowmen were there just 10 of each so you got 10 bow and 10 riflemen or could you make all the dwarves crossbow if you wanted? I myself try to avoid any guns in my fantasy minis. Is there anything you really enjoyed about this one or regretted?

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 5th, 2013, 5:14 am

First we had to step into TMU's box.
Now we have Mhorgoth's Revenge box.

not sure if want...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 5th, 2013, 6:08 am

This is the sprue with the dwarven rifle/crossbowmen:

As you can see, there are 10 of these sprues, with 2 dwarves each, and 2 crossbows + 2 rifles. One body already has the bottom piece of the rifle in his hands, so you can glue on a rifle barrel or a crossbow top.
The other body has no arms, and needs the crossbow or gun with 2 arms attached. So yes, you can make 20 crossbow dwarves or 20 rifledwarves or any combination.

The Revenge set has no shieldbreakers, dwarves with 2 handed hammers, but it does have 2 handed hammers in the sprues, so with some creativity you can swap some arms around and still make 4 or 5 shieldbreakers.
Here's the difference in sprues:

RISING: (REVENGE)
20 Plastic Skeletons (SAME)
-Hand Weapons and Shield or Spears and Shield
-Champion, Musician and Standard Bearer
10 Plastic Revenants (SAME)
-Hand Weapons and Shield or Spears and Shield
15 Plastic Zombies (SAME)
10 Plastic Ghouls (SAME)
1 Plastic Balefire Catapult (SAME)
-Skeletal Crew
20 Plastic Dwarf Ironclad (HAS 25: 4 sprues with 5 ironclads + 1 command sprue with 2 ironclads, 1 standard, 1 musician, 1 champion)
-Hand Weapons and Shield
10 Plastic Dwarf Ironwatch (HAS 20)
-Crossbows or Rifles
10 Plastic Dwarf Shieldbreakers (NOT INCLUDED, does have 5 2-handed hammers)
-Two Handed Hammers
1 Plastic Dwarf Ironbelcher (SAME)
-Dwarf Crew

So basically, Revenge has 5 more figures than Rising does, plus you can still make 5 shieldbreakers with a little creativity.
I only bought that set because it was discounted, being the last few sets remaining with the new box coming out.
Conclusion: it matters little. Get whichever is cheapest. I have 0 regrets, I love the models. Check my gallery for painted examples.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 5th, 2013, 7:35 am

Comparison of the new shieldbreakers in the Rising set, versus my converted shieldbreakers from the Revenge set.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » November 5th, 2013, 7:33 pm

I can't seem to find any store that has either. Only found on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mhorgoth-Rising-Kings-War-Battleset/dp/B005XID1PK but dont want to deal with shipping to US. Anyone able to find a set in a US store? Did they just discontinue both of them? It seems that way to me.

Edit: If I don't find one I may double up on http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/undead/product/undead-army-set-110-figures.html and get 2 and just cram in some http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs/product/dwarf-ironclad-regiment-20-figures.html http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs/product/dwarf-shieldbreaker-regiment-20-figures.html. Just was really hoping to get the Undead Army set of 110 and the 95 Undead/Dwarves and misc stuff. Hate piecing together stuff. Buy it all at once then be done with spending money, which I hate.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » November 9th, 2013, 1:21 am

I had to scratch the itch. Darn you Sjeng... Picked up 110 piece undead set and some Greenstuff as my initial purchase. That was what I originally intended getting. But after having a conniption fit I squeezed in some shieldbreakers. I mean what's not to like about 2 handed blunt force trauma...

My Equation:
Image + Image = :D

My Wallets Equation:
Image + Image = :x :evil:

My Wallet wrote:You are so DUMB! WTF you doing...

I'll just bide my time with these for now and all my reaper stuff. I'm am most certainly going to need suggestions and some help in deciding how to paint and color schemes to settle on. Once the Mhorgoth set is available I'll get that to fill out the last half of my desire. I heard the undead set has tons of extras like tombstones, skeleton dog, torsos coming out of the ground and am looking forward to getting my hands on it. :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Rewards:
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » November 9th, 2013, 2:52 am

Great! You'll enjoy these! I did, and still do. Only painted 5 dwarves and 5 skeletons so far, and 7 zombies, but the rest is primed and ready :)

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » November 9th, 2013, 3:05 am

I am going to end up fighting 2 contradictory parts of myself. One part enjoys painting them and having them look good. The other hates and can't stand to have useless or rarely used stuff in my house. So I'll probably end up painting them and seeing if I can resell them online to buy more. What a stupid cycle I know but I've already told myself this is going to happen.

I blame you for this one Sjeng. Those Dwarves just were calling me and now I won't be complacent until I get that Mhorgoth box...

Rewards:
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Miniatures