• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Furniture Conversions

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Furniture Conversions

Postby chaoticprime » August 7th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Inspired by Ampersand, I started work on converting some of my HQ furniture into fully-featured pieces. Most of the below were done using hirst arts crap or hobby wood. All the paints jobs are unfinished, and because it is me painting them (not my wife) they were all done by drybrushing multiple layers. Because my personal board is 25% larger than the original, I based each piece of furniture and added greater detail to make them into a sort of vignette. Enjoy.

AHQ Doors

Alchemist's Bench

Warlock's Alter

Table I

Table II

Bookshelf I

Tomb I

Tomb II

Torture Rack

Barbarian interrupting Orcs at study

I have more stuff in the works. The skull motif and the bookshelf items were made by putting the impression of objects into modeling clay and casting them out with resin. The board in use is my massive board made with resin tiles, that is currently getting re-painted.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Furniture Conversions

Postby Jewels! » August 7th, 2013, 5:56 pm

These are pretty awesome.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 7th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Wow, and you just started? Looks like you've done these for ages |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 8th, 2013, 9:51 am

That's quite a different approach than Ampersand!
This looks like stuff that would actually be in an underground dungeon maintained by Orcs :D

I'm not sure if I like putting bases on HQ furniture... But it works well with your custom board.

Good job!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » August 8th, 2013, 11:23 am

The furniture's area-of-influence is muddled by the grid size without the bases. Its difficult to tell which squares can/cannot be occupied in the middle of an encounter. There's really not much difference between miniature creatures and miniature objects. You're not stepping on the degree of abstraction as long as the miniatures you use for creatures also have original basing. You could probably whip out some kind of transparent plastic bases, I guess. I like coating everything in slime, bones, and chairs, personally.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » August 8th, 2013, 2:22 pm

looks good dude. some nice little touches here and there. personally I think you should of painted the small details in to give it that extra oopmhh!! :)
the tankards, studs on doors, the books.
but generally some really good ideas in there. I like the smashed torture rack.. they all have a very dungeony feel to them which is great.
im not sure about the bases for them either..i was trying to think of a seamless way to add other details around the bases. for mine I wanted chairs. and to do so..you need a base I guess. I thought of a seamless base that just incorporated the floors details I wanted. but decided against it in the end. :whiteshield:

but overall good stuff man. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bruenor » August 8th, 2013, 2:25 pm

All excellent pieces, very well done and finished!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
bruenor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » August 8th, 2013, 3:22 pm

ampersand wrote:looks good dude. some nice little touches here and there. personally I think you should of painted the small details in to give it that extra oopmhh!! :)
the tankards, studs on doors, the books.
but generally some really good ideas in there. I like the smashed torture rack.. they all have a very dungeony feel to them which is great.
im not sure about the bases for them either..i was trying to think of a seamless way to add other details around the bases. for mine I wanted chairs. and to do so..you need a base I guess. I thought of a seamless base that just incorporated the floors details I wanted. but decided against it in the end. :whiteshield:

but overall good stuff man. :)

I don't have particularly good vision anymore. I mean, its alright. My wife could kick those details out great, but then she'd have to stop painting other things. None of the paintjobs are actually finished, however. The tankards were just glued on a few minutes before I took that photo. One of them, the tipped over one, has resin spilled out from its top that drips off the side of the table.

For a base, you could always use clear plastic. Mine are just hobby wood with medium ballast glued on and then drybrushed.

I had never made anything like these before, but I pick things up extremely quickly. I am usually much better at concept than execution.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » August 8th, 2013, 6:08 pm

[
I don't have particularly good vision anymore. I mean, its alright. My wife could kick those details out great, but then she'd have to stop painting other things. None of the paintjobs are actually finished, however. The tankards were just glued on a few minutes before I took that photo. One of them, the tipped over one, has resin spilled out from its top that drips off the side of the table.

For a base, you could always use clear plastic. Mine are just hobby wood with medium ballast glued on and then drybrushed.

I had never made anything like these before, but I pick things up extremely quickly. I am usually much better at concept than execution.

I feel your pain there. my eyesight is starting to take a dip. it isn't helped by them pesky digital camera's blowing things up 50x size on screen for me to see every single bit ive missed when ive painted something :bites-lip:
I recently purchased a light/magnifying glass to help get around that. maybe that might be worth investing in?
but not to detract away. I think there are great and have some great ideas in there :)

now you have the expansion stuff to do also hehe ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » August 8th, 2013, 6:28 pm

ampersand wrote:[

I feel your pain there. my eyesight is starting to take a dip. it isn't helped by them pesky digital camera's blowing things up 50x size on screen for me to see every single bit ive missed when ive painted something :bites-lip:
I recently purchased a light/magnifying glass to help get around that. maybe that might be worth investing in?
but not to detract away. I think there are great and have some great ideas in there :)

now you have the expansion stuff to do also hehe ;)

Working on making 26 bases tonight. Did I mention I did all of the stuff in those photos in one evening? Well, I did. A twelve-hours-long evening fueled by awesome medication, that is. Part of my agenda was to figure out quick-n-dirty methods of making the pieces, for to share with others here. The bookshelf would probably be the easiest, though virtually all of them could be made in just a couple hours with a cheap amount of 3mm-thick hobby wood and wood glue. I have an absurdly huge supply of bits from various origins that most others would not have the like of, so I tried to reign their usage in for the above pieces.

I'm thinking about making a Living Wall piece. It'd be 1x3 squares, and approximately 2-3" tall. I plan to impress a variety of undead figures into clay, and make a cast of it, to use as its facade.

FYI, styrene sheets are really good to use with casting molds in resin. Spray mold release on the sheet and then slowly press it down onto the top of the mold after pouring in the resin. With a bit of practice, you will cast pieces with perfectly smooth bottom edges.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Miniatures