Page 1 of 4

Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 1:16 am
by Jewels!
So I've been itching to paint some of my minis, but don't have a gaming store in town to buy paint from. Will any acrylic paint work?

I can go to the craft store and buy big tubes of paint, but I don't know if they would work well or at all. Plus, they don't have cool names like "bone white" or "orc snot green," or whatever. But I don't want to damage my figures, they are my babies.

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 2:45 am
by Sjeng
I wouldn't recommend the tubes. I believe that paint is a lot thicker, even though you can thin acrylics with water, I'd prefer bottles.

You can order paints from Reaper or Vallejo. Reaper has some great starting kits. They're cheaper than GW paints, en certainly as good. Dropper bottles are also better to store than pots, as pots tend to dry out faster. If you decide to go for Reaper, be sure to pick up some Bones too ;)

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 3:24 am
by Jewels!
Sjeng wrote:I wouldn't recommend the tubes. I believe that paint is a lot thicker, even though you can thin acrylics with water, I'd prefer bottles.

You can order paints from Reaper or Vallejo. Reaper has some great starting kits. They're cheaper than GW paints, en certainly as good. Dropper bottles are also better to store than pots, as pots tend to dry out faster. If you decide to go for Reaper, be sure to pick up some Bones too ;)


Those are cheaper? Ouch :(

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 3:36 am
by Jewels!
Also are those paints suitable for non-metal as well?

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 3:47 am
by Sjeng
Jewels! wrote:Those are cheaper? Ouch :(

GW citadel paints cost €3,- per pot. VERY expensive. And they are excellent for both metal and plastic. As always, use a good primer spray before you paint. (except Bones models, those don't seem to need priming)

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 4:00 am
by Jewels!
Sjeng wrote:
Jewels! wrote:Those are cheaper? Ouch :(

GW citadel paints cost €3,- per pot. VERY expensive. And they are excellent for both metal and plastic. As always, use a good primer spray before you paint. (except Bones models, those don't seem to need priming)


Spray primer is better than what they have in those kits?

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 4:40 am
by Sjeng
Well, it's not per se better, but it's a lot easier and faster to apply, especially with many minis to paint, and sprayed primer is thinner, which leaves more detail on the model.

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 1st, 2013, 11:16 am
by knightkrawler
Also, let me make you consider the sheer volume of such a tube. You don't need that much color, so saving money isn't really an advantage with those.

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 1:54 am
by Daedalus
Since you're talking about painting the figures of one game, what knightkrawler says. If you plan to paint a lot more, including scenery pieces, having some white, black, and even gray on hand could be useful for tinting your colors. Even then, they won't be as easy to measure as droppers or paint pots.

Re: Paint Questions

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2013, 3:56 am
by Jewels!
Thanks everyone. :)

I think I'll get one of the beginners sets, but the Bones offerings are pretty sparse. Are any of them spectacular enough that I must get?