• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Never painted miniatures before

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Never painted miniatures before

Postby The Road Warrior » January 6th, 2013, 10:31 am

Here's my 1st attempt at painting miniatures, what do you think?

Only given them a base coat and 1 wash so far. No drybrushing/highlights yet
Do i need to give them another wash 1st? I don't think the shadows look to good at them moment.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Never painted miniatures before

Postby Goblin-King » January 6th, 2013, 11:08 am

Not bad at all for a first try! :)

Another wash (I assume you mean the bone/skeleton areas) would be in place. These you can either splash wash all over or just try to hit only the cracks/holes/deep areas. Either is fine depending on which look you want.

I would also suggest to line up all edges with a dark wash (brown or black). Like where the metal part of the shield meet the red part. Around bolts. All places where two distinct objects meet.
This will help make the details and the overall look more "readable".
While black can be used for almost anything, brown looks best on gold parts.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » January 7th, 2013, 1:55 pm

How do you make the wash with Testors enamels? Add thinner so it's very light black and stix only in the crax?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Those look really good! Very neat. I agree on the wash, and perhaps some highlights here and there, but overall good job!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby jimmeuh » January 7th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Nice work!
jimmeuh

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » January 7th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Second wash done. I also brushed some Ushabti Bone and White Scar onto the bones, a little bit of chainmail to the metal and the gold and a bright red onto the edges of some of the pennants.

There are a few mistakes to touch up ( you can see where I got chainmail onto the leather part of the helmet on the skeleton on the right :oops: ), and I also have a lighter brown to highlight some of the leather and the wooden spears.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 8th, 2013, 2:07 am

already a great improvement from the first picture! Really good work man! Don't worry about minor misses, people don't notice them on the board :) You learn from it, and you get better.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 8th, 2013, 2:57 am

That is really great work you've done there. |_P

Gives me some courage for my own project to be started BEFORE I'm frikkin'fifty.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » February 3rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

Finally finished the last 5 skeletons off today...
Not so happy with these, mistakes have been made & hopefully lessons have been learnt.

And finally, all 10 waiting for our Heroes inside the Tomb...

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » February 4th, 2013, 2:03 am

The Road Warrior wrote:mistakes have been made

perhaps, but at first glance, it doesn't show at all. These look pretty neat!

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Miniatures