• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Huge painting project for Heroquest

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Huge painting project for Heroquest

Postby tasoe » Friday June 29th, 2012 9:46am

I would like to present a Dwarf and a band of Orcs. I've taken the liberty of presenting them through a little sketch. Hope you like the paintjob and hope you don't hate the sketch.

Note: the orc boss's shield is in the blacksmith, I'll post another pic when it's finished.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » Friday June 29th, 2012 10:02am

lol, nice. I really like your shading on the orcs. well done!

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » Monday July 2nd, 2012 1:56am

How did you achieve this shading ?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby tasoe » Monday July 2nd, 2012 3:34am

Sjeng wrote:lol, nice. I really like your shading on the orcs. well done!

Maike05 wrote:How did you achieve this shading ?

Thanks! I believe you both mean the shading on the orcs clothes. It was simply done using 3 different layers of paint. darker blue in the deeps, blue in all other places and a lighter blue, very thin lines on the highlights.
For the skin it's another story. First a layer of green to cover everything. Then I applied green wash to create shades and for it to actually "tell" me where the recesses are. After that, repaint everything but the folds in the same green as before. Highlight with a lighter green. Second highlight with even lighter green, especially about the face. Finally a quick green wash to tie them all together and that's it.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » Monday July 2nd, 2012 4:17am

ok, i see it, it explains this good result ;) I thought, you'd only used a wash ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby tasoe » Friday July 6th, 2012 5:10pm

I didn't like so much the fire whip I painted on my previous gargoyle, couldn't get a realistic effect so I thought I'd greenstuff some fire around the whip.
I now like it a lot more although I think that it can be done much better but I had to be very careful and subtle because the rest of the model was already painted and I could easily ruin it with some greenstuff stuck on it or scratch it with a tool. Anyway, here it is:

Some more yellow drybrush might be in order but that's the main idea.

Rewards:
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » Saturday July 7th, 2012 3:15am

Cool effect man! I think it's a bit too thick, but it does the job!

Take a gander at the fire effects on this baby:

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Saturday July 7th, 2012 4:13am

Tasoe, now you HAVE to paint some object source lightning on your gargoyle!

But in all honesty, the whip is too thick now. There should have been some flames rising up and away from the whip. Kinda like on the balrog above.
In addition try painting some higher contrasts between white-yellow-orange-red. Again like the balrog.

Also check this just for coolness:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby tasoe » Monday July 9th, 2012 5:14am

You are both right. It is too thick. It looks more like fire coming out of a flamethrower. Anyway, it's not likely I'll be trying it again soon, but if I do, I'll try doing something like sjeng's picture. This time a subtle result wasn't possible as the rest of the gargoyle was already painted and I didn't even had a good grip on it.

Rewards:
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » Monday July 9th, 2012 2:17pm

It worx for me. It looks better than what it was before - that was just a red whip.
Maybe the fire is along the length of the whip; there's no real source for it anyway. This is all fantasy. When I look at it I don't see the violation of reality; I see fantastic magic flame that rotates along the whip, just begging to crack across some half Ogre's woolly green jumper, leaving a burning scar.

There's no real mechanism either that could give you a lightsaber, but we all suspend disbelief for it and cheer when a Sith Lord opens a can of whoopass.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures