Page 1 of 3

HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 5:06 pm
by tasoe
I have been painting a whole set for someone and I'm about to finish it so it's time to post some pics of the painted figures.
Let me know what you think and remember that I'm always open to criticism. Don't be afraid to point out the flaws (if there are any ;) )

Barbarian - Dwarf

Image


Elf - Wizard

Image


Goblins

Image


Orcs

Image


Fimirs

Image


Skeletons

Image


Zombies

Image


Mummies

Image


Chaos Guerreros

Image

Sorcerer's table

Image


Chaos Sorcerer

Image


Gargoyle

Image


and one with all the monsters

Image

in a couple of days I will add the warlock.

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 5:53 pm
by Maike05
Very nice, i like the idea of keeping the original base to know which type of monsters it is. How long did it take you ?

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 6:13 pm
by tasoe
Maike05 wrote:Very nice, i like the idea of keeping the original base to know which type of monsters it is. How long did it take you ?


Thanks. I can't really tell because of the holidays, I had a brief break, but I would say it took me about a month.

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 2:12 am
by Sjeng
your kung-fu is much better than mine... :(
awesome job!

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 3:02 am
by Templar
Very nice rusting effect on the skeletons scythes! All in all a top notch job :D

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 7:37 am
by Goblin-King
Nice clean paintjob :-)

The red and the metal chaos warrior definitely needs more shading and highlights.
Highlighting red can be a b***h. I personally get the best results by using orange/yellow.
You can't really highlight metal very well, but the easy solution would be to simply black wash the bastard! :-D

Also some of your colors seem very shiny! What brand of paint do you use?

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 9:04 am
by tasoe
Goblin-King wrote:Nice clean paintjob :-)

The red and the metal chaos warrior definitely needs more shading and highlights.
Highlighting red can be a b***h. I personally get the best results by using orange/yellow.
You can't really highlight metal very well, but the easy solution would be to simply black wash the bastard! :-D

Also some of your colors seem very shiny! What brand of paint do you use?

Thanks!
I agree about the highlighting, it's very subtle but it is there. I try to use washes as less as possible because I prefer clean models compared to the -maybe more realistic- dirty ones.

If you are refering to the general shine it's because of the camera flash and the varnish.
The three coloured chaos guerreros specifically are painted with a mix of metal and their normal colour to create a metal shiny look.

I use mostly vallejo game colour but I also have some citadel paints.


Templar wrote:Very nice rusting effect on the skeletons scythes! All in all a top notch job :D

Thanks! The rust is from an old metal chair I placed on my terrace for a whole rainy winter followed by one very sunny summer. ;)


Sjeng wrote:your kung-fu is much better than mine... :(
awesome job!

I don't understand what kung-fu is supposed to mean but I 'm happy that mine is better than yours :P

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 9:37 am
by Ethica
Very nice work indeed, they are very vibrant (in a good way). Good idea with the bases too.

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 6:29 pm
by ndsandman
Yes very nice, and have clean look.
I always tried to make mine look like they have been in battle.
Dark, rust and dirt colors too.
Thats just my choice, still like to see people paint them up as new recruits.
All in all looking good.

Re: HeroQuest painted miniatures

PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 6:46 am
by Goblin-King
Clean or dirty looks... What it all boils down to is that I just love when people take the time to paint their minis, no matter which style or quality. It just adds so much more to the overall feel in my opinion.
In the midst of battle you don't study the details anyway. You just absorb the basic colors.