• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Minatures I would love to have.

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Minatures I would love to have.

Postby Big Bene » January 4th, 2012, 6:46 pm

cynthialee wrote:There shall be lady Fimirs
Well, if I understand Necron right, he even has miniatures of female Fimir (perhaps these "Meargh", but we could still use them as ... err ... caring mothers and housewifes? :roll:
How do you like the bed, by the way?

@Goblin King
In principle, you are right - there are some rare books out there which don't follow the Howard-Tolkien-Moorcock cliche, and those are the true gems of the fantasy genre. But HQ (or Warhammer) is all-in-all very cliched fantasy. A race that is just strange for strangenes' sake doesn't help it.
OK, I always found the Fimir somewhat - well, strange - but OK. On the other hand, the mushroom space orcs of Warhammer 40K just annoy me. We're talking about orcs here, for god's sake. The one contribution to the genre that Tolkien really made up from the scratch all by himself (the orc race, not the genre). The very core of "high fantasy". The most cliched race of them all. They are not in there for originality, innovation or diversity. They are the basic stuff to which new ideas can be added.
But I would hardly have noticed that the orcs were used against their role in WH 40K, would it not have been mushrooms. Mushrooms!It's funny, but that's it. Who can rejoice in having defeated a mighty army of mushrooms? Who would be so indignified to play them himself? Personally, I believe all 40K players just obliterate this silly concept.
Last edited by Big Bene on January 5th, 2012, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Von Necron » January 4th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I had a group of orc mercs led by a huge dark haven ork model that my heroes would use as guides or mercs sometimes.
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » January 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm

In the RPG my group plays Orks (also known as Troggers or Kobolds) are allowed to be played as the occasional player character.
Lots of brut strength and a fanatic loyalty to their paycheck make for a great addition to a team of crack mercs engaging in skirmish warfare.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Von Necron » January 4th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I've collected so many empire and human minis that I've often wanted to be the Good wizard GM Mentor and have all anti heroes devastate the empire. They could be guided by Zargon who reads from wizetomb. My heroes were fairly evil anyway but they just liked dark characters not evil ones. So imagine an anti paladin a necromancer and a thief justifying themselves. But they wanted to continue to fight darkness so I went with it.
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » January 4th, 2012, 10:10 pm

I like to think that Zargon is Mentors diabolical alter ego. He is a madman manipulating empires against himself in a maniacal solo waltze of epic insanity.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » January 4th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Some of my groups have had that discussion before!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby sadkitchen » January 5th, 2012, 1:44 am

Doesn't the Zargon/Morcar screen sort of proove that point all on it's own?
Mentor is definitly controlling all those baddies on it.

-SadKitchen
sadkitchen

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 5th, 2012, 7:36 am

I've always wondered if that guy was Mentor or Morcar... But the names are very alike too... :O
it's MADNESS!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 5th, 2012, 8:57 am

Big Bene wrote:In principle, you are right - there are some rare books out there which don't follow the Howard-Tolkien-Moorcock cliche, and those are the true gems of the fantasy genre. But HQ (or Warhammer) is all-in-all very cliched fantasy. A race that is just strange for strangenes' sake doesn't help it.
OK, I always found the Fimir somewhat - well, strange - but OK. On the other hand, the mushroom space orcs of Warhammer 40K just annoy me. We're talking about orcs here, for god's sake. The one contribution to the genre that Tolkien really made up from the scratch all by himself. The very core of "high fantasy". The most cliched race of them all. They are not in there for originality, innovation or diversity. They are the basic stuff to which new ideas can be added.
But I would hardly have noticed that the orcs were used against their role in WH 40K, would it not have been mushrooms. Mushrooms!It's funny, and that's it. Who can rejoice in having defeated a mighty army of mushrooms? Who would be so indignified to play them himself? Personally, I believe all 40K players just obliterate this silly concept.

Fimirs:
I've always thought of fimirs as some sort of artificial or magical created race - Kinda like black orcs in warhammer.
As such it makes kinda sense that the females for some reason are sterile. Like mules are also sterile.
Well... I like the concept, some don't. That's fine :)

Orks:
Well, the problem with 40K mushroom orks is that they based them on orcs. Everybody loves orcs! And no one wants to see that race messed up. No one would have raged if the concept was applied to an original alien race. I still find their physiology interesting. Also there are no female orks!!! :bites-lip:

Warhammer fantasy have female orcs though...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 5th, 2012, 10:04 am

GoblilnKing wrote:Well, the problem with 40K mushroom orks is that they based them on orcs. Everybody loves orcs! And no one wants to see that race messed up. No one would have raged if the concept was applied to an original alien race.

I fully agree. But sadly they did base them on orcs.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures