• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Paint Questions

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Paint Questions

Postby chaoticprime » July 17th, 2013, 4:58 am

Redav wrote:Any suggestions for which mini I should start painting with first considering this will be my first real attempt at painting minis? I'm guessing the mummy? Or is it deceptive? Wouldn't mind some suggestions on paint colours and primer too.


Its not so much which you should paint first, but which shouldn't you . Go through each miniature examining their individual complexity. The Dwarf is probably at the high-end of that; the orc and goblin at the low. The mummy is actually very easy to paint if you've any accuracy, at all.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Paint Questions

Postby The Road Warrior » July 17th, 2013, 7:21 am

Redav wrote:Any suggestions for which mini I should start painting with first considering this will be my first real attempt at painting minis? I'm guessing the mummy? Or is it deceptive? Wouldn't mind some suggestions on paint colours and primer too.


I chose to start with the skeletons because:
  • They are quick and easy
  • You only really need 3 colours + a wash
  • There aren't really any fiddly bits to do (like eyes)

you can see the results here
(I bought some GW skeletons to practice on first a I didn't want to mess up my HQ ones, but this wasn't really necessary)

As far as paints go I get all of mine from Games Workshop but there are cheaper options available. Colours will obviously depend on which model you choose to paint.
Image
Join in the community project.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 639
Joined: November 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Paint Questions

Postby chaoticprime » July 17th, 2013, 7:27 am

The Road Warrior wrote:
Redav wrote:Any suggestions for which mini I should start painting with first considering this will be my first real attempt at painting minis? I'm guessing the mummy? Or is it deceptive? Wouldn't mind some suggestions on paint colours and primer too.


I chose to start with the skeletons because:
  • They are quick and easy
  • You only really need 3 colours + a wash
  • There aren't really any fiddly bits to do (like eyes)

you can see the results here
(I bought some GW skeletons to practice on first a I didn't want to mess up my HQ ones, but this wasn't really necessary)

As far as paints go I get all of mine from Games Workshop but there are cheaper options available. Colours will obviously depend on which model you choose to paint.


I second this notion.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1939
Images: 0
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 3:38 am
Location: Kansas City
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Paint Questions

Postby Redav » July 17th, 2013, 11:30 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:[*] You only really need 3 colours + a wash

What colours did you use / prime with on the Skelies??

The Road Warrior wrote:you can see the results here

Yeah, I'd seen them. Just some of the great examples people have on this site.

The Road Warrior wrote:(I bought some GW skeletons to practice on first a I didn't want to mess up my HQ ones, but this wasn't really necessary)

Fortunately I have plenty of the original system mini's available for mistakes and experimentation.

The Road Warrior wrote:As far as paints go I get all of mine from Games Workshop but there are cheaper options available. Colours will obviously depend on which model you choose to paint.

As far as paints go I get all of mine from Games Workshop but there are cheaper options available. Colours will obviously depend on which model you choose to paint.[/quote]
I'd imagine I'll end up with GW ones, just need to have a closer look at their colour range and find someone to get them through but should probably also scope out Vallejo just to make sure I don't have my blinkers on.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master
 
Posts: 486
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Paint Questions

Postby The Road Warrior » July 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Redav wrote:What colours did you use / prime with on the Skelies??


Primer - I used 2 different primers to see what difference it actually makes. The 2 on the left were primed with the Skull White spray and the other two were done with the Chaos Black spray (I usually use the black)

I then painted all 4 of the skeletons the same with the following paints/techniques. I dry brushed all of the layers as I'm not very good at layering.

Bone -
  • Base Coat - Rakarth Flesh (There are problably better options for than this. Maybe someone else can suggest something)
  • Wash - Agrax Earthshade
  • DryBrush - Ushabti Bone
  • DryBrush - White Scar

Wood -
  • Base Coat - Mournfang Brown
  • Wash - Agrax Earthshade

Metal -
  • Base Coat - Leadbelcher
  • Wash - Nuln Oil
  • DryBrush - Ironbreaker (I'm thinking of getting some Runefang Steel to get brighter highlights)

All of these are Games Workshop paints but if you may decide to get your paints from somewhere else. I found this conversion chart that may be useful but I can't guarantee how accurate it is.

I'd also like to point out that the title of my painting topic is 'Never painted miniatures before' so I may not be the best person to take advice from. ;)
Image
Join in the community project.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 639
Joined: November 20th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Paint Questions

Postby Redav » July 19th, 2013, 11:58 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:I used 2 different primers to see what difference it actually makes.

Yup, I recall that you that you tried the two to see the difference. Thanks for the added detail.

So, I now have a better understanding of the 'awesome' pricing policy GW has with Australia :evil:. Whilst I might be okay with trying a few to start with, I'm not sure I'm happy to pay almost twice the price. It might become as expensive as a drug addiction or photography :(

How many different GW paints do you (i.e. Sjeng, CP, TRW etc) have and use on just HQ minis? How far do the pots stretch? I mean, if someone was to paint a full set of the GS minis, how many pots might one go through?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master
 
Posts: 486
Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Paint Questions

Postby Sjeng » July 20th, 2013, 3:00 am

I have about 30 GW pots and 1 reaper dropper, painted an complete HQ set with some spare orcs/mummies/skeletons except the gargoyle, some D&D minis, about 5 mantic skeletons, 6 mantic dwarves, 7 mantic zombies, busy with 20 skaven clanrats and a few loose figures, and the pots aren't even half empty yet. I did go through 4 cans of black primer and 1 small brush.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Miniatures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests