• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Site upgrade v2021 early plans

Found some typos or dead links? Is there an area you would like to see added? Is there something you would like to contribute to Ye Olde Inn? Let us know!
Forum rules
Please post only those issues relating to the http://www.yeoldeinn.com/ Website and its pages. Issues relating to the Ye Olde Inn Community Forum or Blog do not go here.

Re: Site upgrade v2021 early plans

Postby Kurgan » June 18th, 2022, 12:57 pm

Other than drathe (or sjeng? I forgot, sorry) posting up some images of card differences, there is no definitive listing of changes between 1st and 2nd edition EU on the forums that I'm aware of so I've gotten it all second hand. However the quest book and Instructions ("Rules of Play) are posted up for all to see.

The 1989 edition had The Maze as quest 1 instead of The Trial of course. Wording of the cards for Courage and Rock Skin were slightly different (leading to the minimalist and maximalist discussions of how those spells are actually intended to work). I think some of the other cards might have had slightly different wording, same with the Rules of Play but perhaps not enough to change the actual mechanics.

Extra copies of Helmet and Shield are replaced with Bracers and Cloak of Protection (both "wizard only" armors) in second edition. Some speculated that the extra copies meant capacity was limited, but I believe it was subtly clarified later that this is not the case (it was certainly not limited in the Remake edition that re-adopted the equipment deck mechanic; but where was the clarification? in Adventure Design Kit with its re-designed character sheets?).

Corridors ("Passages") can be searched for Treasure in 1989 edition but explicitly not in the 2nd.

The "deathmatch" (Path of the... sections in Rules of Play book) sections I think were removed from the 2nd edition as well as some of the extra Warhammer fantasy artwork. You were supposed to train against other heroes and/or groups of goblins to practice your combat and magic before the actual campaign began.

1st Edition grants you the title of "Champion" after completing three quests ("tasks completed") and awards each such Champion 500 gold coins (if you choose to steal any of Prince Magnus' gold you are not allowed to become a Champion). 2nd Edition grants you the title but no Gold Reward (recall the NA edition gives you this title after defeating the Witch Lord in Quest 14).

Any others I missed? I guess not as many differences as I thought, but still.

Since info on the 1989 edition is scanty on Ye Olde Inn, perhaps you could be the one to do provide that info (assuming you still have access to it).

Yes, I READ them all, but the changes bleed together for me and I don't remember them perfectly anymore... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzUPPmTBi5hSz59QIwOXfu8Wy3lIXSHUe

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby iKarith » June 20th, 2022, 2:58 pm

I don't actually, it was a lifetime ago in another state with a friend I've long since last track of. I'm sure some folks here have it … the question is can we get one of them's that does to sit down with a scanner for us? Might even help if the language isn't English, provided that we've got someone who can translate the text.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » June 20th, 2022, 8:15 pm

I am not sure what are you exactly refering to but I have scans of both UK versions, even the cards. I guess they are not difficult to be found on internet. Sorry but I don't understand which is the problem with that, even in other languages I think could be probably also found.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 21st, 2022, 7:55 am

He wants to see the unique 1989 elements that may not be visible on the main page.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » June 21st, 2022, 8:18 am

HispaZargon wrote:I am not sure what are you exactly refering to but I have scans of both UK versions, even the cards. I guess they are not difficult to be found on internet. Sorry but I don't understand which is the problem with that, even in other languages I think could be probably also found.

Kurgan was noting that the Inn doesn't have both versions, but I grew up playing the 1989 UK version. A friend of mine had the game because his dad bought it for him in the UK. I no longer have access to those materials.

Definitely would like high-res scans. Stuff we have here is generally 300 DPI where possible, but higher could allow for correction of skew and the like.

Shadzar provided links to Hasbro's own scans, stuff like this:

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/HeroQuest,questbook.PDF

That … is sad.

Would love for that section of the Inn website to be an archive of all things HeroQuest—at least the official and quasi-official stuff. If it exists, we should have it. (Including the 2021 stuff … though what we can put up for download in the case of 2021 content is … limited.)

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » June 26th, 2022, 10:53 am

Something the site needs is scans in page order and not just booklet format. A lot of people reference them on their phones and the booklet format makes that difficult/confusing.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 26th, 2022, 1:25 pm

There's phoenix's page for that, but then again Phoenix's are re-creations (with occasional typos) though for the NA material it's pretty accurate (the EU stuff is converted to NA format on his pages).

the Inn itself has all of the 1989 stuff EXCEPT the cards themselves, even if only a few of them are different (or subtly different) than the 1990 2nd EU Edition. In fact, until a few samples were shown in these forums I had assumed they were identical.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » June 26th, 2022, 4:12 pm

Kurgan wrote:There's phoenix's page for that, but then again Phoenix's are re-creations (with occasional typos) though for the NA material it's pretty accurate (the EU stuff is converted to NA format on his pages).

the Inn itself has all of the 1989 stuff EXCEPT the cards themselves, even if only a few of them are different (or subtly different) than the 1990 2nd EU Edition. In fact, until a few samples were shown in these forums I had assumed they were identical.

I’m referring to original scans and not recreations.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » June 28th, 2022, 9:35 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Something the site needs is scans in page order and not just booklet format. A lot of people reference them on their phones and the booklet format makes that difficult/confusing.

Page order is really important, as is having the pages display in correct orientation on screen.. That's kind of also an accessibility thing, which is why I'm kind of disappointed that Hasbro's 2021 downloads don't do it. I can take the 1989/1990 versions and explode the PDFs into PNG files, twiddle them around a bit, and then put them back together as page-order PDFs. And I intend to.

It's actually really easy on Windows 10+ and was pretty easy the last time I tried digging into printer settings on macOS to print a booklet from a page-order document. Given that, page order is just the right thing to do.

I actually contacted Hasbro to ask about the 2021 versions—at least the Game System, Kellar's Keep, and Return of the Witch Lord all have their booklets available for download freely, straight from Hasbro. None of them are directly useful on-screen. So … I asked them if I could work with folks here on the forum to fix them. It'd mean posting the files, though, so we need permission for that.

Best they could give me right away was that they'd get back to me within a few weeks and that there would probably be some requirements for things I've got to do with it (or not do) if they give me permission to do that. So … not a yes, but also not a no either, yet. We'll see.

Obviously they're not going to approve anything that renders it unnecessary for you to buy their products. That's fair, I want people to buy their products too!

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » June 28th, 2022, 9:47 pm

They probably reason that if you are needing to look at the digital version, you're either printing out a replacement for the physical copy, or you're just going to use the companion App and have that reveal the quest bit by bit for you.

I agree that both formats have their uses. I printed out my own booklets long ago (except the Japanese set, never quite got around to doing that, and I was using the one bastianbux had done at the time, my own is tweaked based on HisapZargon's preservation of the original copies and someday I may print the booklet instead of the spiral bound full page version I used in my read through video).

I like the ability to do word searching when there's a quick reference needed on the pdfs.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext