• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Diamond River Gulch

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Diamond River Gulch

Postby torilen » January 23rd, 2020, 12:19 pm

EDIT: Scroll down two comments - the game PDF is there for you! :D

I'm leaving this little bit from my original post - if anyone is interested in having cards, I can try to work on that, or someone else can,
if you're feeling ambitious.

There will, of course, be skill cards that allow character to learn how to use the weapons, and there will be skill cards that allow characters
to practice their response speed, in effect, drawing their firearm more quickly. Skills for RS will offer an additional red die to roll for each
time it is taken. This is how characters will be able to stand up to gun slingers, as they learn and grow.
Last edited by torilen on June 7th, 2020, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Diamond River Gulch

Postby torilen » January 24th, 2020, 3:42 am

This is the working cover for the main rules book right now.

By the way, if anyone has checked out my Questing Heroes
Game...this is basically the same rules, just some material
Rewritten for a western setting.

5B7418C0-420A-48E4-B16B-3ABE231AB2AB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » June 7th, 2020, 8:49 am

Okay - the Diamond River Gulch Western Campaign game rules are done!
They're ready to play. This book gives you everything you need to play.
Game play, creating characters, weapons and (some) armor, and encounters...
mostly other humans and animals/vermin. You could always run a western
fantasy game, with goblins and zombies, I suppose...why would you not want
to, in fact? There will be a campaign setting coming soon, and hopefully
some adventures/quests, as well. Maybe even some literature.

The best part: Even if you have not looked into Questing Heroes yet, this will
be very familiar. Just like Questing Heroes, Diamond River Gulch has game
play based on HeroQuest. You could even use your combat dice, if you wanted.
The Conversion goes as follows...need to roll:
4, 5, or 6 = skulls
1 or 2 = white shields (or any two consecutive numbers on the dice)
6 = black shields (or any single number on the die)

diamond river gulch pdf 6-3-2020.pdf

If you like this, and you find you have the ability to support me, please go to my
DriveThruRPG page and buy the game book.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub ... Strategies

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » June 9th, 2020, 9:05 am

A piece of a sample adventure I ran with my son yesterday.
I turned a section of it into a quick story scene. It made him
laugh so hard...

You walk out into the street and find the man who called you out in the saloon standing in the middle
of the dirt road. The Townsfolk have already begun to clear out of the way, seeing that a shoot-out
is imminent.

"You...you ruined my winnin' poker hand in there. Now, you can either pay me the winnin's due to me,
or you can come out here in the street and draw." He shouts down the street as you walk out into the
middle of the road.

With that, your friends, who had placed themselves in various places along the street while the man
was talking, ready themselves. You hear the click of a shotgun hammer being pulled into place. On
your left, the lever of a rifle is pumped and the barrel is aimed. On your right, right next to you in
the street, the hammer of a revolver is cocked while still in its holster.

The man's eyes grow wide as he realizes exactly what he talked himself into. You smile and shrug.
The man does not look quite so sure of himself anymore.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » October 24th, 2020, 7:20 pm

I was hoping to have a free preview ready and available, but alas, I have not had the ambition to get that finished yet. It'll be good when I do.
Anyhow, until then, I thought I'd offer a really quick Halloween one-shot for everyone. Realize these are not the game rules. I'm putting this together as best I can so it can be used as a quick Halloween one-shot.
(You might notice a big similarity in game play between this and HQ)

THE IDEA IS THIS:
Your characters are walking through town Halloween evening, perhaps after dinner. You hear a scream down the street, and see, through the dim torchlight, several figures lumbering down the dirt road. One might even trip on a pot hole. As they get closer, you see they are undead - ZOMBIES!
The corpses from the town cemetery, all of those from the past 30-40 years, since a time when the town was only a stagecoach outpost, are coming back to the world of the living.
As you watch, one man runs up to a zombie and tries to throw a few punches, undeterred by the flesh sloughing off or the stench of the grave wafting about the creature. The zombie takes three punches to the face, then batters the man with its arm. He falls into a heap at the zombie's feet, and three others fall atop him, gnawing at his unmoving body.
More and more of the monsters appear just inside the circles of light from the torches and lanterns lining the street. Townspeople run for cover.

THE GAME:
In my western campaign and my fantasy campaign, I don't make a distinction between a normal attack and a called attack to the head. In this one-shot, we're going to say that, as we see in many movies, the zombies can only be stopped by either blowing their heads off, or knocking/chopping their heads off. As such, I have increased their Defense by one defense die. I tell you this in case you go find my game and notice the difference.
The characters must fend off and/or kill all the zombies. They will only be walking through town for Halloween night. Once the
time reaches midnight, it will no longer be Halloween. The zombies will begin to wander off, either out into the desert, or back to the cemetery to find their resting place once again. The time when the zombies appear is just after sunset, roughly 5:30pm. The characters must live for 6-1/2 hours.

THE ZOMBIES:
MONSTER: Humanoid Zombie (Undead)
BODY: 2 MIND: 0 SPIRIT: 0 SEARCH: n/a
MOVE: 15ft
ATTACK: 2 (hand/arm x1)
DEFENSE: 4
SPECIAL:
If any attack causes at least 1 point of damage, target rolls 1d6. On a roll of 1, there is also 1 point of disease damage.
DESCRIPTION:
Humanoid zombies appear just as they did in real life, except that they are bloated and usually grayish in color. Many times, the zombie will have portions of skin and flesh sloughing off, leaving behind a trail of gore and grave-stench wherever they go.

THE CHARACTERS:
CREATURE: Normal Human (Human-kin)
BODY: 5 MIND: 5 SPIRIT: 4
SEARCH: 2d6
MOVE: 30ft
ATTACK: 2 (fists x1) or by weapon
DEFENSE: 2
SPECIAL:
If attacking with fists, this creature must roll a 5 or 6 for a successful attack.
DESCRIPTION:
Humans are just that: Humans. Ranging to the extremes in height, weight, skin color, position in life, profession, humans can be found nearly anywhere adventurers might go. Humans can be unpredictable in nature, and it should be no surprise that one human could be friendly and kind, only to find another just down the road that is hateful and murderous.

THE WEAPONS:
Normally, characters would have to use their starting money to purchase training, weapons, and bullets and such. We're just going to assume that the characters already have the training to use whatever weapons they have chosen, and would have the money to buy the weapons they choose. We will also assume that each character has ammunition for their weapon. If they choose a revolver or rifle, they will have a number of bullets equal to: 20 + 3d6. If they choose a shotgun, they will have a number of shells equal to 10 + 2d6.
Each character can choose one firearm from the following list:
1 - Medium Revolver - 5d6, Piercing damage, medium caliber, 6-shot Range 5ft-25ft
2 - Lever-action Rifle 6d6, Piercing damage, medium caliber, 10-shot, Range 10ft-50ft, Two Hands, requires quick pump between shots
.............(Response Speed -2 - ignore this for now)
3 - Double Barrel Shot Gun 5d6, Piercing damage, small-shot shells, 2-shot, Range 10ft-30ft, Two Hands,

Any of these firearms will take out a zombie with a head-shot. It takes an action of one turn to reload. This means you can reload and then move, or move and then reload. You cannot perform any other actual action while trying to reload, however.
The spray for the shot gun: starting at 10ft (2 spaces) away from the character, it is a single space. At 15ft, it spreads to 15ft wide. It moves out at 15ft wide up to the 30ft maximum range.

Characters can also carry a knife, which is:
Dagger/Knife 1d6, Cutting/Slicing/Piercing damage,
Throw 10ft-15ft

Characters can also pick up and use any other item the GM decides might be sitting around: sticks, clubs, shovels, rakes, etc.
Staff/Stick 1d6, Reach
Club 2d6, Bludgeoning damage
Hammer 2d6, Bludgeoning damage, Throw 10ft-15ft
Hatchet 1d6, Cutting/Chopping damage, may reroll twice, Throw 10ft-15ft
**Reach means it can attack diagonally, or at 10ft instead of 5ft (adjacent)
Lastly, if it comes down to it, character may fist fight:
Fist 1d6, Bludgeoning damage, must roll 5 or 6
Foot 1d6, Bludgeoning damage, must roll 5 or 6
Knee/Elbow 1d6, Bludgeoning damage, must roll 5 or 6

GAMEPLAY/COMBAT:
Each character and monster possesses ATTACK and DEFENSE. For attacking, roll the number of d6's indicated by the weapon. Each die must show a 4 or 5 or 6, unless stated otherwise. For defending, roll the number of dice indicated under DEFENSE. These dice must show a 5 or 6, unless stated otherwise. If the DEFENSE roll shows an equal or greater number of successful dice than the Attack roll, all damage has been blocked (or dodged, or the attacker simply missed). For every Attack die that is not blocked, the target takes this amount of damage.
The Zombies will come from everywhere on the street...from both ends of the street, and from any alley that is open. They will be behind buildings. There will be a starting total of zombies equal to the number of players x5....the characters are outnumbered 5 to 1. Introduce them from as many different places as possible.
Zombies cannot crawl in through windows, though they can batter someone standing directly at the window. Zombies cannot open doors, but they can beat on them to knock them down. A door does not have a DEFENSE, but does have 6 Body Points, and because it is made of thick wood, will ignore 1 point of damage done to it each turn. So, in theory, a zombie can do one point of damage each attack. This is assuming its attack roll shows two successful dice each turn (rolling a 4 or 5 or 6). Furniture placed in front of doors will be similarly attacked. It is up to the GM to decide how many Body Points a certain wooden item might have. Base this on the Door's number of 6 Body Points.

Here is the map of a section of the street in the town:
diamond river gulch zombie attack town.JPG

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Other Games Room