• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Zombicide: Black Plague

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: Zombicide: Black Plague

Postby QorDaq » June 12th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Anderas wrote:Does anybody have experience with their sculpts?
their models as presented in the Kickstarter look quite good but I am unsure about that company. Well. I know nothing about them.

They are overall descent quality. Note: They changed from season to season a bit, particularly the runners as they are the least "Stable" type of zombie on the table and they went through a couple of different approaches to their stance.

Anyway, they are soft-ish plastic, think somewhere around the quality of WotC D&D minis. Size wise they are bigger than typical 25-28mm (They call them 32mm), but they are not Heroic 32 in my opinion, as the weapons and such are much more realistic in scale than say GW would typically produce.

Detail is mid-level, not on par with Ral Partha or anything, but certainly comparable to WotC plastics again.

Probably the most impressive (to me), is that over the course of the first 3 seasons GG managed to crank out a lot of variety. Not just the Survivors, which was overboard really, but even within the zombie hoards there is a fair amount of variety within a given "Type" of Zombie. Especially the basic Walkers and Runners along with their special variants. Multiple sculpts of each type even within a given set.

Take a look on Youtube to find a fair number of examples of people painting them. When compared with other games, I think Z-Cide does a reasonable job of offering a diverse selection of sculpts.

We'll have to wait and see about Black Plague of course, but I am hopeful. We are already up to 137 minis with the base set (including stretch goals but not add ons). Considering that 28 of those are unique heroes and we are only a few days into the KS, it's also a decent price really. ~0.72 per mini currently. This will almost certainly go down by the end of the campaign.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby IvenBach » June 12th, 2015, 10:45 pm

QorDaq wrote:We'll have to wait and see about Black Plague of course, but I am hopeful. We are already up to 137 minis with the base set (including stretch goals but not add ons). Considering that 28 of those are unique heroes and we are only a few days into the KS, it's also a decent price really. ~0.72 per mini currently. This will almost certainly go down by the end of the campaign.

I counted 77(base game) + 26 (Wulfsburg) + 5 (Hero Box 1) + 1 (Gowan) + 5 (Walkers) + 1 (Lucas) + 4 (Runners) + 4 (Fatties) + 1 (James) + 4 (NPC Zombies) + 1 (Cadence) + 3 (Woofs) + 1 (Goblin King) + 1 (Necro) + 1 (Antha) + 1 (Abomination) + 1 (Monty Python) + 4 (NPC Zombies) + 1 (William) + 1 (Rodney) + 4 (NPC Zombies) + 1 (Freeeeeeedom) + 1 (Grimm) + 2 (Troy) + 1 (Deckard Cain) + 1 (Woof ABOM) + 1 (Falstaff) + 1 (Gene) + 1 (Mino Abom) + 1 (Bazak Boner) + 1 (Klom Boner) + 4 (NPC Zombies) + 1 (Montal) + 1 (Xena) + 4 (NPC Zombies) + 1 (All-most Tim) + 4 (NPC Zombies) + 1 Paul + 4 (NPC Zombies) + Whatever else hasn't been released...
Doesn't that total to 178? This is me blatantly justifying.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 13th, 2015, 2:51 am

QorDaq, thank you. Now I am really considering buying it. :D
maj!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » June 13th, 2015, 6:45 pm

@Ivan,

I think I missed the Hero Box? But I was deliberately not counting Wulfsburg, as that adds $50 for 26 minis (most of which are wolves)... But I still only counted 141? The base set is only 71 incidentally. But yeah, lot's of reasons to rationalize making the basic $100 purchase...*Chuckle*...

Especially considering all the other goodies, including a great game.

@Anderas... Happy to help... Heh... And of course you can always pledge now and then keep an eye on the campaign, if it does not go in a direction that makes sense to you--you could always back out at the end.

maj!

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » June 14th, 2015, 9:46 am

Yeah, seriously, get this game. If you like HQ (and you all do) and coop fantasy (obviously), then you will like zombicide. And the theme makes this one perfect for swapping minis around. There's a female Drizzt, an Entreri lookalike (in the addon), some cool guest artist packs (Thrud!), and a lot of cool zombies. There's a lot of stuff to like here. Certainly the exclusive heroes. I mean: JARETH! come on! pledge already. You'll be sorry if you didn't.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby QorDaq » June 14th, 2015, 10:05 am

Sjeng wrote:Yeah, seriously, get this game. If you like HQ (and you all do) and coop fantasy (obviously), then you will like zombicide. And the theme makes this one perfect for swapping minis around. There's a female Drizzt, an Entreri lookalike (in the addon), some cool guest artist packs (Thrud!), and a lot of cool zombies. There's a lot of stuff to like here. Certainly the exclusive heroes. I mean: JARETH! come on! pledge already. You'll be sorry if you didn't.

Agreed...

I am guessing that is you chiming in on the massive Comments area of the KS page? I backed the previous Z-Cide as well, and learned quickly that I did not have the time to try and keep up with the comments (they move way too quickly), and my posts just get buried in the ferver... But, if that was you, it was cool to see a familiar name fly by in the midst of the crazy...*Chuckle*...

maj!

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » June 14th, 2015, 11:32 am

I've always been a fan of zombie stuff, way before it mainstream culture. I'm watching this as it progresses and hope it gets a lot of backers. Since I've never played Zombicide before is it worth it to get additional tiles or is the map that comes with the game enough? I've yet to be able to work no my modular tiles but hope to once I get done with intern this summer. Would it be possible to make a modular board for Zombicide or are their boards already preset for specific scenarios? My only experience with boards is from Descent and they aren't exactly modular.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby QorDaq » June 14th, 2015, 1:22 pm

IvenBach wrote:I've always been a fan of zombie stuff, way before it mainstream culture. I'm watching this as it progresses and hope it gets a lot of backers. Since I've never played Zombicide before is it worth it to get additional tiles or is the map that comes with the game enough? I've yet to be able to work no my modular tiles but hope to once I get done with intern this summer. Would it be possible to make a modular board for Zombicide or are their boards already preset for specific scenarios? My only experience with boards is from Descent and they aren't exactly modular.

So, two questions here, Extra Tiles, and Modularity.

I'll tackle number two first. Z-Cide tiles are very modular--based on historical experience and visual evidence on the KS pages.

As to the viability of grabbing more than one set... Well folks are often divded on it. If you intend primarily to play the missions created by GG and or Fan-created works from their web-site, you likely will not need extra tiles.

However, if there is any part of you that revels in the thought of laying out a massive town/ village with these tiles (which you can do), having two sets will really increase your options.

Basically each tile is nearly a foot square (11.5 if memory serves), so having all 18 tiles (22 with the Wulfsburg stuff), available for building at once means a really big board.

It also depends on what you want to accomplish beyond standard gaming. Let's say you wanted to run more than one game at a time at a local convention or something; multiple tile packs would really open up your options for unique layouts.

But again, if you anticipate primarily playing the missions created for the vanilla game, you will almost certainly never need extra tiles.

maj!

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » June 14th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Just for your info:
it is our fault that I backed this one. Now I have four of them running. Heroquest 25th, Thantos extra dungeon interior, Conan because it is Conan, and Zombicide. Whereas, with the conan models you are nearly able to play Zombicide. :) .

Only Heroquest 25th was grown on my own pile of cap.
The rest is your forum folks failure! You know, I like to blame somebody else. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » June 14th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Heh... That's funny.

I did not know about Conan until after it was over unfortunately as it looks like a nice game--the maps for which seem to have "Spaces" similarly shaped to Z-Cide: BP so I am thinking there are some good house-rule/ home brew potentials there.

Also missed the Dungeon Decore opportunity...

As to HQ 25... Man what a polarizing project... People seem to feel very strongly about that one... Personally, I really want to see what it ultimately ends up being. But I did not back it in any of it's (Three?) crowd-funding efforts.

Now, all that said, sorry, can't take responsibility for any part of your weak-willed-consumerism... I have enough trouble trying to manage my own...*Chuckle*...

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room