Page 1 of 1

AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 21st, 2024, 8:01 am
by batjon
Sorry if this is already somewhere but i couldn't find it.

Is someone able to let me know how big the squares are in AHQ please.

I own both old and new versions of Heroquest and I'm trying to find out if the tiles for AHQ (and maybe even Warhammer Quest) will be compatible with either of the boards i own in order to add some variety to my parties games.

Thanks in advance

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 21st, 2024, 12:01 pm
by b_0
AHQ room tile squares are about 21.5mm squares, which is slightly smaller than classic heroquest tiles, but the AHQ rooms have a border around them as well, and if the border is included, a 5x5 tile AHQ room fits within 5x5 classic heroquest tiles well enough. The AHQ corridor tiles are closer to 23mm x 21.5mm with the wider edges of the tiles spanning across the narrow part of corridor.

The tolerances seem so close that I'd consider AHQ to be fully compatible with classic heroquest. AHQ was in fact designed to use the classic heroquest board as an expansion and includes rules to do so.

I don't have any WHQ tiles, but I've heard they are larger than AHQ tiles.

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 21st, 2024, 5:14 pm
by batjon
b_0 wrote:AHQ room tile squares are about 21.5mm squares, which is slightly smaller than classic heroquest tiles, but the AHQ rooms have a border around them as well, and if the border is included, a 5x5 tile AHQ room fits within 5x5 classic heroquest tiles well enough. The AHQ corridor tiles are closer to 23mm x 21.5mm with the wider edges of the tiles spanning across the narrow part of corridor.

The tolerances seem so close that I'd consider AHQ to be fully compatible with classic heroquest. AHQ was in fact designed to use the classic heroquest board as an expansion and includes rules to do so.

I don't have any WHQ tiles, but I've heard they are larger than AHQ tiles.


Thank you very much

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 21st, 2024, 8:43 pm
by Kurgan
It would seem trivial to reprint the AHQ tiles slightly larger to the size of classic HQ squares. Then just glue the paper to chipboard, coat with modpodge or spray sealer if desired.

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 21st, 2024, 9:53 pm
by b_0
Kurgan wrote:It would seem trivial to reprint the AHQ tiles slightly larger to the size of classic HQ squares. Then just glue the paper to chipboard, coat with modpodge or spray sealer if desired.


They already seem perfect for classic Heroquest, but that idea might work for matching the newer Heroquest. I wonder if those AHQ pdf's would need to be reformatted for that, or if the margins on the pages are large enough to accommodate a simple resize.

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2024, 8:24 am
by Stabsam
A good way to get cheap and easy tiles is to buy 2 copies cursed city without miniatures of ebay. Some of the tiles can be cut to fit your need.
In addition to the tiles you will get dice and a lot of markers.
Making own tiles or markers is very time consuming and you will never reach the quality of professional printed tiles.

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2024, 12:44 pm
by Kurgan
You can professionally print your own tiles pretty inexpensively (to be fair, only at certain sizes... custom sizes are very expensive to professionally print unless you're doing them in bulk). BGM does (in inches) 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 3x3, 3x6, 4x4.

I don't mind just printing it on paper and gluing to chipboard (even without any overcoat). The results are pretty good. Just store flat and you're good.

Re: AHQ tile size

PostPosted: February 27th, 2024, 5:53 pm
by batjon
I picked up a decent copy of AHQ so hopefully I'll get to give it a try sometime soon :)