• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re-casting, boosting, and maximizing spells

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Re-casting, boosting, and maximizing spells

Postby cynthialee » November 4th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Another idea came to mind just now.
Allow the mage to re-cast the first spell they cast in a quest for free.

Another idea that comes to mind is to give the mage 4 tolkens. When a spell is cast the mage decides if he wishes to attempt to reclaim the spell and he must tie or beat the evil one in a D6 roll off and spend a tolken win or loose this roll. If the mage wins the roll the mage may recast that spell one more time. If not the mage looses the card and the tolken and moves on. This way the mage is likely to be able to cast 3 of his spells twice. Of course only allow the reclaiming of a single spell one time.

I will likely have more ideas run through my head on this one...
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kaiyanwang » October 7th, 2013, 4:56 am

Necromancy after your post Daedalus... I wanted to ask, have you ideas for the spells found in the Wizard of Morcar or Elf questpack?
Kaiyanwang

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 8th, 2013, 2:41 am

I hadn't gone that far with it. I decided to go with a simpler spell system. Maybe I'll post it if you're interested, but it doesn't add as much as reuse some ideas and leave out others in favor of more recasting and spell swapping by donating spells to power others. The Wand of Magic largely allows the powers of a boost already (double casting in one turn), so it assumes that artifact is (or soon will be) in play.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Karlssonontheroof » April 10th, 2015, 4:46 pm

We have used the following in our games.

"After a spell is cast, the caster rolls 2 D6. If the sum is less than or equal to the Hero's current mind points, the spell is not lost."

This gives a 6MP Wizz a 42% chance of keeping a spell, and a 4MP Elf a 17% chance. Reflecting the superior magic affinity of the Wizz.
This also enables progression by increasing the re-casting odds when mind points are increased (Amulet of Lore +1 MP) makes the odds 58% and 28% for the MP7 and MP5 heroes.

Note:
If you are comfortable with a minor complication, we add a modifier to the dice roll depending on the power of the spell. (since each spell set has a good spell, and average one and a weak one).
+1 to the roll if it is the powerful spell (eg. Genie), -1 if it is the weak spell (eg. Fire of Wrath).

If using Uk rules, (Amulet of Lore = +2 MP) or including other buffs for mind points I'd suggest making it only retaining spells if the 2D6 roll sum is less than the current mind points.

Thoughts?
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » April 10th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Karlssonontheroof wrote:"After a spell is cast, the caster rolls 2 D6. If the sum is less than or equal to the Hero's current mind points, the spell is not lost."

Fantastic! I might make him wait until combat has ended to realize that he still remembers the spell though. This prevents any boss fight from being Tempest, Tempest, and over.

Your first post is a great one! Welcome to the Inn!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » April 15th, 2015, 8:50 am

whitebeard wrote:
Karlssonontheroof wrote:"After a spell is cast, the caster rolls 2 D6. If the sum is less than or equal to the Hero's current mind points, the spell is not lost."

Fantastic! I might make him wait until combat has ended to realize that he still remembers the spell though. This prevents any boss fight from being Tempest, Tempest, and over.

Your first post is a great one! Welcome to the Inn!

The easiest way to balence that concern is to change the rule to:
"Instead of casting a Spell, the Wizard may test to recover a Spell they have cast previously during the current Quest. To do so, they must roll equal to or less than their current MP on 2D6. If passed, they may return any one appropreate Spell to tehir hand. If failed, they have wasted their oppertunity. This may not be used to recover Spell Scrolls, or other items that act like Spells."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Karlssonontheroof » August 4th, 2021, 3:33 am

Yes. This is how we play it now.

Before attempting to recast a previously cast spell, the caster must roll equal to or under his mind points on 2 red dice.
If you fail, your action is wasted and your turn ends.
Healing spells cannot be recast.

This means you risk doing nothing if you fail so there is a decision to make, and using the wand of magic for two tries only works if you succeed on the first attempt (or cast an uncast spell first).
On longer quests you won't ever run out of spells, and you can keep trying to use your favourite spell (risk reward) so that is the trade off between the mechanics of rolling before or after as I described earlier.

Calculating roughly this rule gives the wizard an average per of approx 1.4 combat dice per turn when attempting to recast genie (2.1 when you have the talisman of lore), so it's not an OP rule as long as
(IMPORTANT!) you don't allow healing spells to be recast and only allow one buff spell (eg. rock skin) to be active at any time.

If you want healing spells to be recastable, I suppose you could change the healing spells to only heal damage accrued in the previous turn, then recasting would carry a risk and prevent the Heroes from just sitting around getting healing between encounters....
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Previous

Return to Rules