Page 1 of 1

No Game Master

PostPosted: May 13th, 2011, 12:10 pm
by HeroQuestFrance
Here's the first quest without a game master, only 2 pages to print and few others to read and start playing without a game master for HEROQUEST !

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFAV5OKD

It's a draft so I hope you will understand my bad english & help me to corrige.
If you have questions or suggestions don't hesitate !
This system works really good, and we can see the matrixes again for each monster (less basic as it is now)

Re: No Game Master

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 6:20 pm
by Maike05
Hi HeroQuest, I went through your document it's very well though ! Brilliant work sincerely ;) It sounds it's working good. I think the best advantage of that system is that you can use the original board, because usually when you want to use one random dungeon generation system, you'll have to use modular dungeon tiles (like mine). Some people just don't want it, so now they have an alternative ! Great :D

Ps : Je pense que tu as fais une faute dans le document, c'est pas 'walls' pour traduire éboulis, mais 'rockfall' ;)

Re: No Game Master

PostPosted: May 16th, 2011, 4:54 am
by HeroQuestFrance
Ps : Je pense que tu as fais une faute dans le document, c'est pas 'walls' pour traduire éboulis, mais 'rockfall'


Indeed !
You place a rockfall to one extremity (at the end of the corridor, just before the corner or after a intersection)
Thank you very much for your feedback !
drathe helped me a lot !!
Thank you drathe !!!

Here's the new PDF version corriger by drathe :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OFAV5OKD

Re: No Game Master

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 8:54 am
by Coroth
I love the 'no game master/zargon' concepts very much, because it means I get to be a player, instead of always the GM. BUT... I'm not very good at developing stories and encounters. Has anyone thought of a way to "generate" these things for a system like this, that keeps it random, but still makes sense and uses the components, and is also scalable depending on the skill/level of the players? I'd love to see something like that added.

Thanks for these rules! It does help a lot.

Re: No Game Master

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 10:51 am
by gravaillon
Coroth wrote:I love the 'no game master/zargon' concepts very much, because it means I get to be a player, instead of always the GM. BUT... I'm not very good at developing stories and encounters. Has anyone thought of a way to "generate" these things for a system like this, that keeps it random, but still makes sense and uses the components, and is also scalable depending on the skill/level of the players? I'd love to see something like that added.

Thanks for these rules! It does help a lot.


Be patient... I'm actually working on a randomly generated quest program... With the classic HQ board... You can enter the monsters, the traps, the special tiles, the furnitures you want to put to the dungeon and the program build the quest. You can play immediately. The program take the role of the game master... :mrgreen:

Re: No Game Master

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 10:26 am
by Maike05
Coroth wrote:I love the 'no game master/zargon' concepts very much, because it means I get to be a player, instead of always the GM. BUT... I'm not very good at developing stories and encounters. Has anyone thought of a way to "generate" these things for a system like this, that keeps it random, but still makes sense and uses the components, and is also scalable depending on the skill/level of the players? I'd love to see something like that added.

Thanks for these rules! It does help a lot.


Yeah I would love that too because I hate being Zargon :s and the thing is I play with some casual players so they don't know the rules or will forget them anytime soon... So I ended up with creating a random dungeon generation system using cards and a modular dungeon. Now, I'm making quest with an other system where each dungeon section has a letter assigned and you generate the dungeon according to a table (see my post in tile section 'cave tiles).

If you want to randomly generate the contents of a room, you could use a simple table with 6 or 12 entries and one or two dice. I used it for monsters and furnitures, but at the end I drew too many dice...

Then If you want to create a random quest, why don't use several table : one for the introduction/background, a second for a description of the evil boss you'll have to kick the ass of, and finally and third one for the reward.

with a bit of imagination, you'll end up with a good custom system ;)

Re: No Game Master

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 12:20 pm
by Maike05
A rapid search with google and i came across this ! http://www.generatorland.com/createagenerator.aspx

It's a free generator tool, you can know create a random quest generator and share it with us :)