House Rules / Homebrew I use (2025):
Since I got back into playing HeroQuest regularly (starting about the time of the Pandemic) I started using and adding new house rules or homebrew. Some of these have changed and some I plan to change, but here is what I am currently using. It starts to seem like a lot when I type it all out! So far we've only been playing official quests... and we've completed Frozen Horror, Mage of the Mirror, Rise of the Dread Moon, and Crypt of Perpetual Darkness. We have also played Into the Northlands and Knightfall as part of those campaigns but also side quests to Rogar's Hall and The Plague of Zombies (using the version "finished" with suggestions from Stephen Baker in modern day). Lately we've been playing Jungles of Delthrak and recently began Against the Ogre Horde (two campaigns going at once, with different parties of heroes though some of the same people show up for both sessions whether on Friday or Saturday).
A little background: I grew up playing the NA (US) edition, but I took a break of about 15 years before getting back into it. I didn't know the EU editions very well (only having discovered them around 2002/2003) and only recently got my hands on copies of some of them a few years back. I can't claim expertise on all variants. I'm sure I've also copied someone else's house rules and not remembering exactly where they came from in all cases. So not trying to steal credit from anyone here, please understand!
For the past going on four years I've been streaming live games of HeroQuest on Twitch (before that we played remotely over Zoom but the games were not recorded). Some of the rules explicitly were designed for the live streaming format (and wouldn't work so well outside of it). Other rules I've come up with but don't use because they don't work so well with the streaming format.
Anyway:
General Tweaks and adjustments and my own interpretations of things:
Courage spell goes into effect immediately but it checks at the beginning of that hero's turn to see if he can "see" (have Line of Sight to) any monsters to keep it going. This means I let that hero wipe out the monsters he can and then rush into the next room/corridor to try to see more monsters.
Crossbow: I don't allow it to hit the eight surrounding squares of the character wielding it, but those out from those squares within line of fight.
Regarding Line of Sight in general I say that it is not blocked by "low" furniture (tables, treasure chests). I waver back and forth between whether it should be blocked by tombs and sorcerer's tables. Furniture always impedes movement for me (unless you use an Uncommon Feat or some magical means to bypass it).
When looking through an open doorway with a corridor parallel to you, I say that you don't see the entire corridor (until you step out into it) but just the three squares traced from your figure out the door.
Expanded Armory:
I've added new items like the Rallying Horn (boosts movement of nearby allies, but can trigger wandering monsters if used too often), Torch (when lit you can ignore Hazard cards you draw when searching for Treasure, also functions as a makeshift weapon for one quest), Sling (usable by Wizard, though weak), Greatsword (Barbarian only, two handed and diagonal 4), Bastard Sword (3 dice, boosted for Barbarian), Cloak of Protection (usable by anyone, but expensive), Halberd (3 diagonal), Mace (same as shortsword but more expensive, because the Cleric can use it), Flail (see Mace; attacks diagonally), Spear (diagonal), Buckler (shield but you can use excess shields rolled to do a 1 die counter attack), Rapier (combined with dagger you can do a 1 die counter attack when the enemy misses an attack against you), Tower Shield (like plate mail but handheld... and rolls 2 green dice against projectile attacks), Longbow (4 dice at range, two handed). My bracers are way more expensive (and so is my Cloak) compared to what AH introduced in the remake edition. As each new expansion is "unlocked" I allow those things for sale. However I have gone back on this and decided that if the expansion doesn't mention using other Alchemist Shops, then only the one provided can be used.
Alchemy:
I've incorporated the Alchemy ingredients and deck from ROTDM into JoD. In theory this also means I'm allowing them to buy Potions from that deck as well (and of course these versions can be used by any Hero). I let them find one Re-Agent kit (when the Wizard wasn't in play), but otherwise the Wizard has to do all the crafting.
Unthreatened Movement:
I liked this idea and so when there are no monsters on the board heroes MAY move up to 6 squares (if they're a 1 red die hero) or 12 (if they're two). I didn't insist on it at first but the heroes have kind of worked out that if monsters appear while they are moving, they roll their normal dice and then subtract any squares they've already moved from that total (if they've already gone over, they stop). "Celerity" (Elven Potion of Speed) adds 12 squares of movement to whatever they normally get.
"Uncommon Feats"
Once per turn a Hero may suggest something that is technically not allowed or defined in the rules, but might be plausible within the fictional world that game takes place in. If Zargon approves (and lately as Zargon I have stipulated a penalty of some kind for failure, and the harder the feat the more dangerous the penalty, or if I suspect that the hero is abusing it) then they roll 1 combat die... a skull being success and anything else being failure. Maybe you want to leap up on top of the table to attack the monsters on the other side with a surprise attack (perhaps with a bonus die), but if you fail, you fall down and they get to attack you instead (maybe you defend with one less). More rarely I'll employ "Villainous Feats" wherein a monster gets an opportunity to do something, again, plausible, in response to something broken in the game or to subvert some advantage the heroes have taken. An example is the heroes revealing a room full of monsters and then refusing to ever enter that room, I might roll to see if the lead monster can bash the door down.
I created some new heroes, loosely inspired by the ones in the computer game HeroQuest II: Legacy of Sorasil though the only one we've used so far (a few times now) is the Paladin (he gets Holy Water and Holy Flame, 5 body points, a slight movement bonus with Plate armor though this was created before the official Knight so he's not quite that buffed when it comes to armored movement!). I've also used a "reskin" of the Orc Bard as an Orc Pirate (same basic abilities and stats).
Since we didn't know any better at the time (websites all said "metal armor" but the cards didn't say that, just he refuses to wear armor), I let the Monk use bracers. I also invented a new weapon he could use, numchucks (2 dice, diagonal weapon).
Upgrade system
I really wanted an excuse to use those "German Colored Dice" (Or "Power Dice" as they are popularly called now), so I came up with some ways.
Read more about it in this thread.
I like the idea of Champions in the first edition and took it to another level. I decided if they are easy quests it should be 5 otherwise 3 is good. Much of the upgrades I provided to the heroes were based on preparing to play the extremely difficult Frozen Horror (with brand new heroes!) and Mage of the Mirror. Over time the upgrades haven't really been needed to balance the difficulty, but they are fun, and have required me to upgrade the bad guys as well. You can find the thread where I talk more in depth about these. Essentially I wanted to give the combat type characters opportunities to deal more damage and do more fighting while magic type characters will get more magic. The weaknesses of certain characters will also be somewhat lessened, again, and playing to their strengths. The next level after Champion is "Knight" (yes, I called it that before the Knight hero was released) which requires a total of 10 or more quests completed.
Many of the buffs involve swapping out various colors of dice (usually black for attack and green for defense). I've also used Purple at times, but have yet to use the other colors much.
Due to the nature of our streaming games once a character sheet is begun I allow it to be handed off and used by another player since we may not always have the same people at each virtual session. I've also allowed there to be five heroes before (though I prefer to keep it to four unless there are more than four players joining me; and not counting mercenaries of course).
Wizard and Elf Buffs:
I let either of these characters, when there is no special treasure (and in some desperate situations even when there is) search a room with a Sorcerer's Table to restore a lost spell (and the Wizard to gain a random Spell Scroll if all his spells are full already). When the room contains an Alchemist Bench without a special treasure (and again, in dire situations sometimes even when there was) I let these heroes draw a random Potion from the Potions Deck found at Ye Olde Inn.com (I have added more healing potions to the pack, not just the d6 ones but also the +4's and +2's) but don't count "Poison."
After these heroes have completed at least one quest successfully I was giving the Elf one random bonus potion (again a safe one, no "Poison" but now I don't have a use for "posion!") and the Wizard two. I kind of forgot and stopped doing this for awhile because in our stream the Twitch chat has the ability to "buy" potions for heroes (whether random, healing 1d6 specifically or "utility" potions meaning non-healing) with their channel points "Gold Coins" (that build up over watch time, though followers get more and paid subscribers get a multiplier).
Roll Color:
Twitch chatters can cash in a "Combat Dice color change" so that the next roll of combat dice will be the color in question. In theory it can be any of the colors that exist for official or homebrew out there, but it was meant to substitute white with either black, green, blue, yellow, orange, or purple (originally I painted the faces of a d6 to represent this with a physical roll rather than a digital one as it is now).
I use the Ron Shirtz "Combat Cards" from this site to distribute 2 each to the Barbarian and Dwarf (3 when they become upgraded) before each quest. I don't give Zargon any, as the Twitch chat can "buy" these for him (and he's not limited except by the number of cards in the deck!). The heroes lose any unused Combat Cards and draw new ones each new quest. The chat can also "buy" random Combat Cards for any hero.
Speaking of which...
Zargon Buffs:
When most of the heroes are upgraded, I roll 1 combat die for each monster I place on the board (I started out limiting myself only to Game System monsters and excluding summoned or Wandering monsters) and if it's a black shield they become an "elite." Elite Monsters roll black dice to attack and blue dice to defend.
The Twitch Chat is also able to "upgrade a monster" so while making one an elite is an easy update, I can also take an existing elite and make them even stronger. Thus far I've enjoyed swapping out the regular monster with the elite token to one of the "translucent" monsters from SQT or PoT and giving them channel dread or some fire spell(s), maybe allowing them to pass through walls or teleport around.
As the heroes have become very powerful I've now taken to rolling a blue die to check for elites (doubling the chances it will happen).
I let my "boomerang goblins" (thanks Avalon Hill, via the ATOH remake and JoD) throw their weapon that can hit multiple targets in an arc. So one such goblin could attack all four heroes at range in a room with 2 dice. Early on I had goblins that "missed" their roll lose their boomerang and switch to their normal hand weapon until such time (if any) that they could retrieve the boomerang. I reasoned that the new goblins are more highly trained experts and this isn't going to happen.
For the "bomb goblins" I imagined the thrown grenades having a blast radius of four squares that could be used to hit multiple targets. Also when killed these monsters explode (again in a four square blast radius). They might also uncommonly move up to hero, plant a bomb on them, and then run away.
I've also contemplated using the "Boss Dice" (the pre-2008 version of the Orange dice) for bosses to make the fights last longer and be a bit more tense, although many multi-stage monsters probably don't need it much.
I use the Evil Wizard Deck from Ye Olde Inn but I've also added a few cards of my own (duplicates of a couple of the cards, plus an "evil" version of Heroic Sacrifice where the bad guy throws one of the other monsters in the way of the attack meant for him, and another where the bad guy I specify gets blue dice defense for the rest of the quest). I only get three of these in my hand at a time as Zargon though, unlike the Chaos Combat Cards that the audience can "buy."
When the chat "buys" a bonus monster for Zargon, I use a randomly drawn tile from a bunch of tiles I printed out (inspired by Space Crusade's "Blip tokens") that shows glowing eyes in the darkness (and moves 5 squares on Zargon's turn) until it becomes adjacent to a hero (or is attacked at range) and then is revealed. If it's a Monster it will have a gold "bounty" value attached if destroyed (inspired by the Japanese edition and also Space Crusade once again) but it might be a harmless rat who runs away or a potion ("don't shoot the potion!") or scroll that was rolling around. If it's a "good" thing I draw another tile to place elsewhere (but if both are good, oh well...). For now my bag of tiles contains only monsters found in GS/KK/ROTWL, but I plan to expand it to include others, even monsters that may not normally appear in that expansion!
I house ruled the "disguises" a bit in Rise of the Dread Moon (partially because I didn't understand exactly how they were intended to work at first, and then kept up with it because it was more interesting to me). Basically a monster (who isn't instantly stealth killed while you're in disguise) rolls to see if they become suspicious about you when you enter line of sight (roll a skull on one combat die) and begin to follow you, maybe block your path. If they witness you attacking another monster, they will then proceed to attack that hero when they are able. If monsters are just milling around, I would have these "suspicious" monsters move to where those monsters were to make them "roll for suspicion" as well. At a certain point I had a large mob following the heroes until they were cornered. That was fun!
There were lots of little quest specific things I wanted to do (like using a modified version of the Arena rules for the "tavern brawl" at the start of Crypt of Perpetual Darkness) but that's basically it for now.
Most recently when we use Animal Companions (until recently I forced there to be 4 heroes if the quest was written with that in mind, but now I give them the option to use animal companions for those quests that were built with them in mind if there are less than four), I have applied the "Heroic" incapacitated rules to them (but not the heroes). When it comes to the Animal companions AND the Ogre Mercenaries (whom I allow to be "bribed" with Ogre Grog into serving the heroes not just with regular gold) I allow them to regain a lost body point by killing an enemy since they're all carnivores (or as with Ogres, just not too picky about what they eat) with the exception of the undead.
A little background: I grew up playing the NA (US) edition, but I took a break of about 15 years before getting back into it. I didn't know the EU editions very well (only having discovered them around 2002/2003) and only recently got my hands on copies of some of them a few years back. I can't claim expertise on all variants. I'm sure I've also copied someone else's house rules and not remembering exactly where they came from in all cases. So not trying to steal credit from anyone here, please understand!
For the past going on four years I've been streaming live games of HeroQuest on Twitch (before that we played remotely over Zoom but the games were not recorded). Some of the rules explicitly were designed for the live streaming format (and wouldn't work so well outside of it). Other rules I've come up with but don't use because they don't work so well with the streaming format.
Anyway:
General Tweaks and adjustments and my own interpretations of things:
Courage spell goes into effect immediately but it checks at the beginning of that hero's turn to see if he can "see" (have Line of Sight to) any monsters to keep it going. This means I let that hero wipe out the monsters he can and then rush into the next room/corridor to try to see more monsters.
Crossbow: I don't allow it to hit the eight surrounding squares of the character wielding it, but those out from those squares within line of fight.
Regarding Line of Sight in general I say that it is not blocked by "low" furniture (tables, treasure chests). I waver back and forth between whether it should be blocked by tombs and sorcerer's tables. Furniture always impedes movement for me (unless you use an Uncommon Feat or some magical means to bypass it).
When looking through an open doorway with a corridor parallel to you, I say that you don't see the entire corridor (until you step out into it) but just the three squares traced from your figure out the door.
Expanded Armory:
I've added new items like the Rallying Horn (boosts movement of nearby allies, but can trigger wandering monsters if used too often), Torch (when lit you can ignore Hazard cards you draw when searching for Treasure, also functions as a makeshift weapon for one quest), Sling (usable by Wizard, though weak), Greatsword (Barbarian only, two handed and diagonal 4), Bastard Sword (3 dice, boosted for Barbarian), Cloak of Protection (usable by anyone, but expensive), Halberd (3 diagonal), Mace (same as shortsword but more expensive, because the Cleric can use it), Flail (see Mace; attacks diagonally), Spear (diagonal), Buckler (shield but you can use excess shields rolled to do a 1 die counter attack), Rapier (combined with dagger you can do a 1 die counter attack when the enemy misses an attack against you), Tower Shield (like plate mail but handheld... and rolls 2 green dice against projectile attacks), Longbow (4 dice at range, two handed). My bracers are way more expensive (and so is my Cloak) compared to what AH introduced in the remake edition. As each new expansion is "unlocked" I allow those things for sale. However I have gone back on this and decided that if the expansion doesn't mention using other Alchemist Shops, then only the one provided can be used.
Alchemy:
I've incorporated the Alchemy ingredients and deck from ROTDM into JoD. In theory this also means I'm allowing them to buy Potions from that deck as well (and of course these versions can be used by any Hero). I let them find one Re-Agent kit (when the Wizard wasn't in play), but otherwise the Wizard has to do all the crafting.
Unthreatened Movement:
I liked this idea and so when there are no monsters on the board heroes MAY move up to 6 squares (if they're a 1 red die hero) or 12 (if they're two). I didn't insist on it at first but the heroes have kind of worked out that if monsters appear while they are moving, they roll their normal dice and then subtract any squares they've already moved from that total (if they've already gone over, they stop). "Celerity" (Elven Potion of Speed) adds 12 squares of movement to whatever they normally get.
"Uncommon Feats"
Once per turn a Hero may suggest something that is technically not allowed or defined in the rules, but might be plausible within the fictional world that game takes place in. If Zargon approves (and lately as Zargon I have stipulated a penalty of some kind for failure, and the harder the feat the more dangerous the penalty, or if I suspect that the hero is abusing it) then they roll 1 combat die... a skull being success and anything else being failure. Maybe you want to leap up on top of the table to attack the monsters on the other side with a surprise attack (perhaps with a bonus die), but if you fail, you fall down and they get to attack you instead (maybe you defend with one less). More rarely I'll employ "Villainous Feats" wherein a monster gets an opportunity to do something, again, plausible, in response to something broken in the game or to subvert some advantage the heroes have taken. An example is the heroes revealing a room full of monsters and then refusing to ever enter that room, I might roll to see if the lead monster can bash the door down.
I created some new heroes, loosely inspired by the ones in the computer game HeroQuest II: Legacy of Sorasil though the only one we've used so far (a few times now) is the Paladin (he gets Holy Water and Holy Flame, 5 body points, a slight movement bonus with Plate armor though this was created before the official Knight so he's not quite that buffed when it comes to armored movement!). I've also used a "reskin" of the Orc Bard as an Orc Pirate (same basic abilities and stats).
Since we didn't know any better at the time (websites all said "metal armor" but the cards didn't say that, just he refuses to wear armor), I let the Monk use bracers. I also invented a new weapon he could use, numchucks (2 dice, diagonal weapon).
Upgrade system
I really wanted an excuse to use those "German Colored Dice" (Or "Power Dice" as they are popularly called now), so I came up with some ways.
Read more about it in this thread.
I like the idea of Champions in the first edition and took it to another level. I decided if they are easy quests it should be 5 otherwise 3 is good. Much of the upgrades I provided to the heroes were based on preparing to play the extremely difficult Frozen Horror (with brand new heroes!) and Mage of the Mirror. Over time the upgrades haven't really been needed to balance the difficulty, but they are fun, and have required me to upgrade the bad guys as well. You can find the thread where I talk more in depth about these. Essentially I wanted to give the combat type characters opportunities to deal more damage and do more fighting while magic type characters will get more magic. The weaknesses of certain characters will also be somewhat lessened, again, and playing to their strengths. The next level after Champion is "Knight" (yes, I called it that before the Knight hero was released) which requires a total of 10 or more quests completed.
Many of the buffs involve swapping out various colors of dice (usually black for attack and green for defense). I've also used Purple at times, but have yet to use the other colors much.
Due to the nature of our streaming games once a character sheet is begun I allow it to be handed off and used by another player since we may not always have the same people at each virtual session. I've also allowed there to be five heroes before (though I prefer to keep it to four unless there are more than four players joining me; and not counting mercenaries of course).
Wizard and Elf Buffs:
I let either of these characters, when there is no special treasure (and in some desperate situations even when there is) search a room with a Sorcerer's Table to restore a lost spell (and the Wizard to gain a random Spell Scroll if all his spells are full already). When the room contains an Alchemist Bench without a special treasure (and again, in dire situations sometimes even when there was) I let these heroes draw a random Potion from the Potions Deck found at Ye Olde Inn.com (I have added more healing potions to the pack, not just the d6 ones but also the +4's and +2's) but don't count "Poison."
After these heroes have completed at least one quest successfully I was giving the Elf one random bonus potion (again a safe one, no "Poison" but now I don't have a use for "posion!") and the Wizard two. I kind of forgot and stopped doing this for awhile because in our stream the Twitch chat has the ability to "buy" potions for heroes (whether random, healing 1d6 specifically or "utility" potions meaning non-healing) with their channel points "Gold Coins" (that build up over watch time, though followers get more and paid subscribers get a multiplier).
Roll Color:
Twitch chatters can cash in a "Combat Dice color change" so that the next roll of combat dice will be the color in question. In theory it can be any of the colors that exist for official or homebrew out there, but it was meant to substitute white with either black, green, blue, yellow, orange, or purple (originally I painted the faces of a d6 to represent this with a physical roll rather than a digital one as it is now).
I use the Ron Shirtz "Combat Cards" from this site to distribute 2 each to the Barbarian and Dwarf (3 when they become upgraded) before each quest. I don't give Zargon any, as the Twitch chat can "buy" these for him (and he's not limited except by the number of cards in the deck!). The heroes lose any unused Combat Cards and draw new ones each new quest. The chat can also "buy" random Combat Cards for any hero.
Speaking of which...
Zargon Buffs:
When most of the heroes are upgraded, I roll 1 combat die for each monster I place on the board (I started out limiting myself only to Game System monsters and excluding summoned or Wandering monsters) and if it's a black shield they become an "elite." Elite Monsters roll black dice to attack and blue dice to defend.
The Twitch Chat is also able to "upgrade a monster" so while making one an elite is an easy update, I can also take an existing elite and make them even stronger. Thus far I've enjoyed swapping out the regular monster with the elite token to one of the "translucent" monsters from SQT or PoT and giving them channel dread or some fire spell(s), maybe allowing them to pass through walls or teleport around.
As the heroes have become very powerful I've now taken to rolling a blue die to check for elites (doubling the chances it will happen).
I let my "boomerang goblins" (thanks Avalon Hill, via the ATOH remake and JoD) throw their weapon that can hit multiple targets in an arc. So one such goblin could attack all four heroes at range in a room with 2 dice. Early on I had goblins that "missed" their roll lose their boomerang and switch to their normal hand weapon until such time (if any) that they could retrieve the boomerang. I reasoned that the new goblins are more highly trained experts and this isn't going to happen.
For the "bomb goblins" I imagined the thrown grenades having a blast radius of four squares that could be used to hit multiple targets. Also when killed these monsters explode (again in a four square blast radius). They might also uncommonly move up to hero, plant a bomb on them, and then run away.
I've also contemplated using the "Boss Dice" (the pre-2008 version of the Orange dice) for bosses to make the fights last longer and be a bit more tense, although many multi-stage monsters probably don't need it much.
I use the Evil Wizard Deck from Ye Olde Inn but I've also added a few cards of my own (duplicates of a couple of the cards, plus an "evil" version of Heroic Sacrifice where the bad guy throws one of the other monsters in the way of the attack meant for him, and another where the bad guy I specify gets blue dice defense for the rest of the quest). I only get three of these in my hand at a time as Zargon though, unlike the Chaos Combat Cards that the audience can "buy."
When the chat "buys" a bonus monster for Zargon, I use a randomly drawn tile from a bunch of tiles I printed out (inspired by Space Crusade's "Blip tokens") that shows glowing eyes in the darkness (and moves 5 squares on Zargon's turn) until it becomes adjacent to a hero (or is attacked at range) and then is revealed. If it's a Monster it will have a gold "bounty" value attached if destroyed (inspired by the Japanese edition and also Space Crusade once again) but it might be a harmless rat who runs away or a potion ("don't shoot the potion!") or scroll that was rolling around. If it's a "good" thing I draw another tile to place elsewhere (but if both are good, oh well...). For now my bag of tiles contains only monsters found in GS/KK/ROTWL, but I plan to expand it to include others, even monsters that may not normally appear in that expansion!
I house ruled the "disguises" a bit in Rise of the Dread Moon (partially because I didn't understand exactly how they were intended to work at first, and then kept up with it because it was more interesting to me). Basically a monster (who isn't instantly stealth killed while you're in disguise) rolls to see if they become suspicious about you when you enter line of sight (roll a skull on one combat die) and begin to follow you, maybe block your path. If they witness you attacking another monster, they will then proceed to attack that hero when they are able. If monsters are just milling around, I would have these "suspicious" monsters move to where those monsters were to make them "roll for suspicion" as well. At a certain point I had a large mob following the heroes until they were cornered. That was fun!
There were lots of little quest specific things I wanted to do (like using a modified version of the Arena rules for the "tavern brawl" at the start of Crypt of Perpetual Darkness) but that's basically it for now.
Most recently when we use Animal Companions (until recently I forced there to be 4 heroes if the quest was written with that in mind, but now I give them the option to use animal companions for those quests that were built with them in mind if there are less than four), I have applied the "Heroic" incapacitated rules to them (but not the heroes). When it comes to the Animal companions AND the Ogre Mercenaries (whom I allow to be "bribed" with Ogre Grog into serving the heroes not just with regular gold) I allow them to regain a lost body point by killing an enemy since they're all carnivores (or as with Ogres, just not too picky about what they eat) with the exception of the undead.