• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Walking over furniture

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Walking over furniture

Postby el_flesh » July 19th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Ya, that quote's a bit out of context; I meant to imply that this is a game and so shouldn't be detailed in such minutae IF you want to have fun. Of course, I know some super nerds might find simulating the minutae to be real super fun...

And as for the furniture?? I see that not only as eye candy for all gamers (to hell with the 12 yr olds!) but it sure does lead and funnel where the battles take place! I wouldn't want to play any fantasy board like this without it!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » July 20th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Hey... I resemble that remark! :geek:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 19th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Brought here via a link in a new thread.

It's good to keep it simple. How about CLIMB as a bonus action. Bonus actions require the sacrifice/discard of 1 Move D6. Which makes for no plate armour climbers! Or Heroes that have done another Bonus Action!!!

Climb: Table/chair/ladder. Table is 2 squares, giving
a larger area to attack, be attacked, opponent -1Cd6.

Any pushing, moving would be a Quest Specific, in the notes, a bit of fluff and a strength test, quite like the unique doors. No need for extra stats, starting or current Body can handle it nicely. A table to block a door, or endless spawn of rats. A bookcase that becomes a ladder to escape a flood, all handled in the notes. To have them as generic would offer no purpose in other Quest, simply slowing down the game or confusing new players with too many rules... Un HQ!

Limit searches to 1 plus items of furniture in the room.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » April 19th, 2018, 2:22 pm

I think the table is crying out to be climbed on. Most models fit on it comfortably, so why not allow it? I don't have extra rules for any of the other furniture types though, as it could bog the game down. Like Mitchie says quest specific notes could handle those other things well.

A climbable table could also function as a way to get a hero into the room and not stack up at the doorway. A race to the high ground as it were.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm

I think this thread needs to be resurrected in light of the "intangible furniture rule" comments below (thanks to Kurgan for pointing this reference out on the Hasbro page about the HeroQuest App)

“we found players had different interpretations when it came to movement rules interacting with the game furniture. Therefore, our team added a toggle in the options menu for “intangible furniture” which allows heroes and monsters to move through spaces that on the board contain furniture.”

Looks like we now have an official optional rule but I don’t think that this optional rule is present in the new version rulebook (if someone could confirm or deny it would be appreciated) and I haven’t yet worked out exactly how it works in the App (again I will or someone else can update when we find out more by using the App)

Ethica wrote:Question-

Do you allow walking over furniture, standing on furniture to attack or moving furniture? Would seem odd not to be allowed to do these things, but then it takes away the use of furniture to control how many lines of attack there are etc.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

My answer to the OP is (and the OP has effectively answered his own question by the way that it is worded)

The function of furniture in HeroQuest (aside from just looking pretty which it achieves very well indeed) is to change the shape of a room. The board has various rooms of different shapes and sizes but they are none-the-less fixed, however a Quest designer can use furniture placement to control and limit movement, effectively changing the shape of the room. This is an important 'tool' for Quest design and modifying this rule may break a number of Quests.

I will be adding the following text to my rulebook for clarification;

* HQ SE Polished Rulebook.docx (Book of Exploration): Added the following text for clarification: • move, move onto or move through furniture pieces

* HQ SE Polished Rulebook.docx (Book of Searching): Removed text as this is now redundant: "Monsters may not move treasure chests."
Last edited by Bareheaded Warrior on May 1st, 2023, 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 3rd, 2022, 5:07 pm

I wouldn't allow it in most cases, although some quests specifically put a secret door that involves a piece of furniture "moving aside" to allow passage. Sure, you get the random occurrence of a player wanting to do something extraordinary like leap over a table, and give them a 50% chance of completing the feat. That's a homebrew of course.

There was one case where I Had a pit trap on the edge of a table and heroes wanted to be able to crawl over the table rather than jump the pit.

Furniture are solid objects that can block line of sight for purposes of aiming spells/missile weapons. They also block movement.

I don't personally think that playing with intangible furniture is meant to be an optional rule like a permanent state, because otherwise, why place the furniture at all... other than just some kind of visual clue saying "search here" because there's a treasure chest and it MIGHT have special treasure in it from quest notes.

That's my opinion unless the developers are declaring they intend it to be played this new way (that isn't in the rule book at all). Might be an official homebrew rule at that point. :mrgreen:

But I think a feature like this serves more as a "developer/debug" kind of thing (or a cheat code) to allow testing of the above situations.

Throwing furniture around, blowing it up, harvesting it for resources, bolting it on as make-shift armor, using it for cover and barricades is all cool, but definitely home-brew. But several official quests use the "furniture slides aside to reveal..." mechanics in the quest notes, so this is probably to facilitate that easier.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » January 7th, 2022, 5:40 am

Passing over low furniture is a special ability I allow to very agile characters, such as a Wardancer. But there is no stopping on the furniture. The character must have enough movement to access a free space on the other side.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 7th, 2022, 8:51 am

I should say I do allow it when a trap is being disarmed (for example putting the Dwarf on top of the treasure chest).

Sadly, the Remake set doesn't allow this as easily (try it... the balance is off with the shapes).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Farwatcher » January 14th, 2022, 4:38 pm

I let heroes stand on tables, chests, the throne, the tomb, or the torture rack (the ones I can easily balance a figure on :P). Any of those pieces of furniture counts as a single square (like the spiral stair), but climbing on or off takes 2 squares of movement. Only one hero or monster can stand on a single piece of furniture.

Anyone standing on a piece of furniture has line of sight over other heroes and monsters. Ranged attacks against anyone standing on furniture are rolled with 1 extra Attack die.

-FW
Farwatcher

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » April 1st, 2023, 6:27 am

SE Rules of Play page 8 wrote:
When moving, characters and monsters may not: move onto an occupied square. Characters and monsters may, however, pass through an occupied square, provided that the player controlling the obstructing miniature allows you to pass; otherwise you must take another route or stop. Only one miniature can occupy a square.

Furniture does not have a controlling player so you cannot be allowed to pass.

However this argument contains the assumption that furniture is a type of figure, but I don’t think that assumption is justified, for various reasons, including the fact that furniture and figures are listed as separate categories in the components section of the rules of play.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules