Page 1 of 2

BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 8th, 2018, 6:29 pm
by burglekutt
From digging around on the site, these are the only five ways ive seen to institute Brawl into the NAversion game. If you were to use one, which would it be? A B C D E or I should say, which one of these is more reasonable to use.

A.
Roll a :blackshield: to hit. One successes equals a hit.
Barbarian,Dwarf- 4Combat Dice
Elf,Rogue- 3CD
Wizard- 2CD

B.
Roll a :whiteshield: to hit. One successes equals a hit.
Barb,Dwarf- 3CD
Elf,Rogue- 2CD
Wizard- 1CD

C.
Roll 2d6 your BPoints or less.
Barb,Dwarf- 8/7 or less to hit.
Elf,Rogue- 6 or less
Wiz- 4 or less

D.
Roll 1d6.
Barb,Dwarf- 4 or less to hit.
Elf,Rogue- 3 or less
Wiz- 2 or less

E.
Roll one CD.
Barb,Dwarf- :skull: to hit.
Elf,Rogue- :whiteshield: to hit.
Wiz- :blackshield: to hit.

Was just bored & wanted to post.

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 5:37 am
by Goblin-King
What do you mean with "brawl"? Is it unarmed combat?

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 7:51 am
by benvoliothefirst
Yeah, this is the first I've seen this. Interesting that for method C, which we could describe as a "BP Check," to use RPG conventions, you state they should roll LESS THAN their BP. Isn't it traditionally rolling THEIR SCORE OR LOWER? Meaning the barbarian would save on 8 or lower? I've long been mulling over skills checks for HeroQuest and this makes sense to me as a logical use of their stats. I would like that method most.

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 11:29 am
by burglekutt
Goblin-King wrote:What do you mean with "brawl"? Is it unarmed combat?
yep, unarmed or hand 2 hand.

benvoliothefirst- yep I do mean their score or lower. I was thinking the same that since it's used so little, you could use that 2d6 system for all related physical rolls such as Dexterity, endurance, climbing, swimming, etc.

Why not use the same 2d6 system for social rolls as well like charisma, subterfuge, etc using MindPoints.

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 1:23 pm
by Anderas
Do you mean brawl like in unarmed attack during the game against a dungeon orc,

Or brawl like Bud Spencer and Terence Hill, while the heroes are on a shopping stop in town?

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 2:10 pm
by cornixt
What does this mean: "One & or four successes equals a hit." Are you talking about rolling a D6? 1 and/or 4?

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 8:22 pm
by benvoliothefirst
Josh wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:What do you mean with "brawl"? Is it unarmed combat?
yep, unarmed or hand 2 hand.

benvoliothefirst- yep I do mean their score or lower. I was thinking the same that since it's used so little, you could use that 2d6 system for all related physical rolls such as Dexterity, endurance, climbing, swimming, etc.

Why not use the same 2d6 system for social rolls as well like charisma, subterfuge, etc using MindPoints.


Precisely. DnD was lauded for moving away from the "abilities/proficiencies" and back to using the six basic characteristics for skills checks. The whole point of HeroQuest is its simplicity. I had the same thought about MP... Everything can be simplified to either a body or mind point check.

I thought maybe the elf should have a similar skill to the "cold-blooded" lizardmen in Warhammer... He gets to roll 3d6 and take the two lowest as his check score. Is that too OP? My thinking was that he should have "elven luck" similar to Legolas.

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 8:32 am
by The Admiral
D and E are the same in terms of odds, and are also my preferred method. I would go with E as it uses a combat die.

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 8:51 am
by Goblin-King
The Admiral wrote:D and E are the same in terms of odds, and are also my preferred method. I would go with E as it uses a combat die.


No...?

D.
Roll 1d6.
Barb,Dwarf- 4 or less to hit. - 1 2 3 4 5 6 ---> 4/6
Elf,Rogue- 3 or less - 1 2 3 4 5 6 ---> 3/6
Wiz- 2 or less - 1 2 3 4 5 6 ---> 2/6

E.
Roll one AD.
Barb,Dwarf- Skull to hit. - 1 2 3 4 5 6 ---> 3/6
Elf,Rogue- WShield to hit. - 1 2 3 4 5 6 ---> 2/6
Wiz- BShield to hit. - 1 2 3 4 5 6 ---> 1/6

But I agree, using combat dice for combat feels most right.

Re: BRAWL...again

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 8:58 am
by The Admiral
Goblin-King wrote:
The Admiral wrote:D and E are the same in terms of odds, and are also my preferred method. I would go with E as it uses a combat die.


No...?


Ah yes. I don't like D then as it gives the :barbarian: and :dwarf: a better chance to hit with their fists than with a dagger.