• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Revised Edition

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

HeroQuest Revised Edition

Postby slev » August 28th, 2014, 7:40 am

I thought I'd make a little thread here for this, since I'm in the process of putting all the files abck on my site as/when they are re-created.

For those who don't know, this is a ground-up recreation of the original materials from the various editions, blended together with the rough edges smoothed off and other metaphors all mixed up too.

Link for my site is in the sig.

And if people are willing to take a gander and provide any feedback they may have, I'd be grateful.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest Revised Edition

Postby StratosVX » August 29th, 2014, 12:49 am

I remember your site. I had come across it quite a while ago but it looked like it was something still in the works so I didn't read anything in depth. I bookmarked your page and checked back a few times over the years, but it never seemed to change so I figured it had been abandoned like so many other HQ sites. I'm definitely interested in seeing what you have as you get everything back online. Now that I know the page is being worked on, I'll keep tabs on it. Welcome to the Inn!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » August 29th, 2014, 1:42 am

StratosVX wrote:I remember your site. I had come across it quite a while ago but it looked like it was something still in the works so I didn't read anything in depth. I bookmarked your page and checked back a few times over the years, but it never seemed to change so I figured it had been abandoned like so many other HQ sites. I'm definitely interested in seeing what you have as you get everything back online. Now that I know the page is being worked on, I'll keep tabs on it. Welcome to the Inn!

Oh it has, all news being in the "blog" section. Perhaps I should re-name it?

in the mean time, a quick preview if the Hero Spell Cards. There are some layout problems I need to fix, these are not quite right:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hub16cdbwisg ... 0.zip?dl=0

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » August 29th, 2014, 8:30 pm

"Control Fiend" has the same rules text as "Clairvoyance", if you hadn't noticed yet.

Also, welcome to Ye Olde Inn, Slev! I'm surprised you hadn't made it over here already! I thought you had an account and just lurked for years or something. I assume Old Scratch's frequent outages have something to do with your translocation?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » August 30th, 2014, 5:41 am

Count Mohawk wrote:"Control Fiend" has the same rules text as "Clairvoyance", if you hadn't noticed yet.

Also, welcome to Ye Olde Inn, Slev! I'm surprised you hadn't made it over here already! I thought you had an account and just lurked for years or something. I assume Old Scratch's frequent outages have something to do with your translocation?

That and the general paucity of activity. I'll still be posting there!

I'll fix-up Control Fiend while I'm re-jigging the cards. Thx!

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 1st, 2014, 1:05 pm

It's great you're using Dropbox. Unfortunately, the rules seem to be removed or deleted. I'm guessing they are pretty much the same as those from the 4-shared account.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » September 2nd, 2014, 2:40 am

Daedalus wrote:It's great you're using Dropbox. Unfortunately, the rules seem to be removed or deleted. I'm guessing they are pretty much the same as those from the 4-shared account.

Errr, yes and no.
Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g4a2soztmirw ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 10th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Thanks, Slev. A quick note, p.7, paragraph 3 has Evil Wizard player. I like how you capitalized the name as a keyword.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » September 10th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Daedalus wrote:Thanks, Slev. A quick note, p.7, paragraph 3 has Evil Wizard player. I like how you capitalized the name as a keyword.

Thx. I have been pondering about changing it to Evil Sorcerer, to prevent confusion with the Hero Wizard...

Hopefully you're liking the new presentation format?

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 16th, 2014, 6:48 pm

There is a lot of cool, but I also fear change. I love the parchment background, the title page, and the fluff font. I'm not a fan of the wide margins and scrolling needed to read the rules, as I'm used to double columns from the Instruction Booklet. I did like the familiar margin justification.

Will you work up a printer-ink friendly version of this? I guess it would require a white background.

Using icons was a big change to the look. When they were combined with the accompanying word, this made me think this would clarify cards or components and made sense. (Maybe my assumption is off.) Their use in sentences was a distraction for me as I mentally needed to translate the image, however. I'd say tone down the colors for the poison and cold icons a bit to make them easier to recognize. Also, the BP heart icon, and even the MP diamond icon might be improved with a bit of enlargement. The dice are perfectly sized and colored--I like them. I also like the defense, melee, and range icons. I'm not sold on the hand icon, but the boot may be okay.

I think keeping some optional rules at the back is a good call. I wouldn't mind seeing the introductory Quest upgraded with a bit more challenge.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules