Page 1 of 1

[Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 8:47 am
by Tott
This is a the sequel to 'The Spawn of Chaos quest pack that i posted in March and it continues the story of Sigvald the Magnificent, the villain from that (and an awesome miniature from GW).

I wanted to continue with some of the concepts that i had used in that quest pack, namely using spell cards as story telling devices and plot triggers. I've also added some random loot cards - there are 9 items of loot in total and during the quests players will get the opportunity to get 4 of them at random.
when players find a piece of random loot, the evil wizard player fans out the deck, face down, in front of them and the player who's turn it is draws one card at random. the players must then decide which of them keeps the card. if they cant decide, roll a dice for it.

this pack has more in the way of actual 'boss fights' and, again, i wanted to experiment with the mechanics available in HQ and see what I could do with it. in the final quest i had to introduce a new attribute to two of the characters called mana - in its first instance its for the players to manage mana by gaining and spending it appropriately and the second instance its used as a timer,forcing the players to finish the quest before time runs out.
This pack has a LOT of new cards, 9 loot, 2 monsters, 1 artefact and 24 spells! ive included them as a separate PDF.
you will need two extra miniatures for this, one for sigvald - you can use the chaos sorcerer as with the previous pack but there is a second character (i wont spoil it for those who want a surprise) you could use one of the wizards from the wizards of morcar expansion or even the gargoyle if neccesary. but i found this piece here that i like.

I've not had a chance to play test this, so if anyone does notice any problems then please let me know. for difficulty, it should definitely come after all the official expansions.

so, here it is: The Shadows of Chaos! (plus the Shadows of chaos card pack! :P)

Re: [Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 6:01 pm
by gravaillon
it looks wonderful ! I like the cards ! But the doc wouldn't open in word !!!! Damned ! Can you convert it to pdf???

Re: [Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 1:35 am
by Big Bene
gravaillon wrote:it looks wonderful ! I like the cards ! But the doc wouldn't open in word !!!! Damned ! Can you convert it to pdf???

Opened in word without problem, so at least the file isn't broken. Must be some compatibility issue.

Re: [Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 3:20 am
by Tott
hmm, i downloaded and opened it fine as a doc myself - heres a pdf version though.

Re: [Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 5:56 am
by Sjeng
Another cool quest-chain. You wouldn't happen to have a cover for this one and the prequel would you? ;) (or some art you'd like for a cover?)
I'm printing most of these, and making booklets, so I like using covers.

Re: [Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: July 19th, 2015, 6:28 am
by Daedalus
I had missed this first time around, but linked to here when the third Quest Pack was posted. Time for some overdue remarks.

Thanks for making a PDF of the Quests Pack available. The Quest line was fun. I also liked what you ambitiously set out to do with the end boss fight--very dramatic. My only issue was how a loss scenario was glossed over as a possible climax result. I mean, if Mentor is fried--how can that be replayed by surving Heroes? Just replaying the last Quest comes off as a computer-game save. I'd need to come up with some kind of reason in an alternate epilogue to explain Mentor's return to the Heroes first. At what point would the Heroes re-enter? Perhaps Loretome could be used to explain things in some way.

Thanks also for making a PDF of the cards--there are a lot of great artifacts there. My only criticism would be to rework the image for the halberd to include a background. I think Kanaron's Signet Ring was my favorite, though I really like the name and fluff text of the Shadowsilk Cloak. As for the spells of the various phases, I especially liked how you inserted dialogue. The mana counting mechanic for the ending was also clever.

Re: [Quest Pack][8 Quests] The Shadows of Chaos

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2025, 5:38 pm
by The Admiral
I am a little confused as to what happens between the end of Quest 6 (The Cult of Sigvald) and the beginning of Quest 7 (The Sanctum of Sigvald)?

Does Sigvald disappear from room C ((D in the notes) of Q6? How do the Heroes get to the start (room A) of Q7? What is the X in room A of Q7?

Note A of Q7 talks about Sigvald as if he is in this room, but he doesn't appear until room B?

This seems to make sense to me:
After reading out Sigvald's words for room C (marked as Note D), read the introduction for Quest 7 and then read the bold text from Note A of Quest 7. Sigvald then disappears through the side door, waving his hand in the heroes' direction as he departs. The heroes then find themselves in room A of Quest 7. Place them on or adjacent to the X. Now carry on as detailed in that quest.

One last question. In Quest 6, can Zaycar attack and cast his special spell?