• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Goblin Gulch: Custom Quest Feedback Request (v0.1)

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Goblin Gulch: Custom Quest Feedback Request (v0.1)

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 19th, 2024, 3:17 pm

Image
It's been a minute, but I got a new quest for y'all!

In the tradition of my last custom quest, (also created in https://www.hquestbuilder.com/ by Squidgemonster) this quest is an interlude adventure between two quest packs. It's meant to be played after Prophecy of Telor and before Spirit Queen's Torment, borrowing narrative elements from each.

This quest is also unique in that it has a time-based objective. (and some fun thematic elements! yeehaw!) Here are a few places I'm looking for feedback please, and thanks in advance!

• Is the parchment text compelling and does the theme fit the in-game universe? Is the quest objective clear?

• Does the quest map and notes appear to make for a rewarding experience for both players and Zargon? Go

• Does the quest appear to be a balanced, replayable challenge for the player? Any other suggestions or thoughts?


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Goblin Gulch: Custom Quest Feedback Request (v0.1)

Postby SirRick » February 19th, 2024, 8:42 pm

I find this quest quite comical (but not in a bad way). It has a number of interesting mechanics, some of which made me laugh out loud. I love the Orc in the bathtub, but I am not sure what is up with him trying to use a Potion of Speed. I imagine the first hero to enter the room would just shoot him with a crossbow.

I find the wild west theme doesn’t particularly fit, but I like it anyway. It reminds me of when a TV show does a western-themed episode (Xena and Supernatural come to mind at the moment, but I know there are many more). I think the parchment text is fine and I like how the story refers to PoT. Even though the heroes get stuck with this quest, I feel they would still do it anyway even if they didn’t have the rings. I find it to be an interesting interlude. The goal is clear enough, and I think the heroes would figure out pretty quickly what they are supposed to do to prevent the wagon from moving.

I feel the quest would be fun for both types of players. Enough stuff happens to keep the heroes on their toes, and Zargon entertained.

I can’t really say if the quest seems balanced or challenging unless I actually play it, but from looking at it, the adventure just seems fun to play whatever the difficulty is. Its also a quest I would do as a one-off if I didn’t have a dedicated group.
I like the quest overall. It seems great!

I have a couple of questions:

Is there a connection to the Spirit Queen’s torment? I am not too familiar with stuff that quest book so I am curious.

Also how did you get the text to fit the page? Squidgemonster had messaged me and mentioned that I could change the text size in the browser settings or something like that, so I am curious how you did it.


Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
SirRick

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 512
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Goblin Gulch: Custom Quest Feedback Request (v0.1)

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 20th, 2024, 1:32 pm

Thanks so much for the helpful feedback, SirRick!

SirRick wrote:Is there a connection to the Spirit Queen’s torment? I am not too familiar with stuff that quest book so I am curious.


In the first few quests of Spirit Queen's Torment, there is mention of bandits raiding caravans, so I imagined Heroes encountering one of these afflicted caravans might be an interesting hook and tie-in.

SirRick wrote:Also how did you get the text to fit the page? Squidgemonster had messaged me and mentioned that I could change the text size in the browser settings or something like that, so I am curious how you did it.


No text resizing, but I did a lot of fiddling with character length! Here's a tip: If the last quest note in the first column wraps up on the 21st line (doesn't carry over into the second column) you can also get 21 lines in the second column if the next quest note doesn't have a line break. You can see that I did that between D and E in my quest notes when you see it all typed out in the hquestbuilder editor, like so:

Code: Select all
A. This table is the wagon. The shaded road leads to Imp Pass (the doors marked "X"). Ignore walls marked by arrows. Once a hero steps on the road, place falling-block trap tiles on the squares marked "A." A goblin roadblock!

Instead of attacking, a monster may move the wagon by being on a shaded space next to it and rolling a skull on a combat die. The wagon and monsters on adjacent shaded spaces all move 1 square toward the doors marked "X" until a monster exits the board. Anyone else in the wagon's path loses 1 Body Point and is moved to an adjacent space of their choice.

The heroes win if all monsters are killed before the wagon reaches Imp Pass. At that time, Hilde clears the roadblock and thanks the heroes with a piece of ore worth 500 gold coins. She then rides off into the sunset on her wagon.

B. When this alley is revealed, place the secret doors. If one opens, both open. The stairway inside this orc-filled saloon leads to a second-story door.

C. These goblin boltslingers are armed with repeating crossbows. Each goblin may attack twice, firing at any hero in their line of sight with 2 Attack dice.

D. This weapons rack is a bank teller's cage. It does not block line of sight.
E. The tomb (with no lid) is a bathtub. The bathing orc is trying to open a potion of speed and only activates if a pit trap is sprung or note F occurs.

F. Place the monsters only when the heroes can see the yard from the vault or balcony. At that time, a bell tolls for high noon. Place all remaining doors, secret doors, monsters, and furniture on the board. All doors are now open.

The wall between the yard and balcony does not block line of sight. Anyone on the balcony can jump into the yard below, but not vice versa. They roll a red die to see how many squares they leap in one direction, over others, or landing on the wagon. If they land on someone else, both lose 1 Body Point, and the occupying creature is moved to an adjacent space of their choice.

G. When this chest is revealed, a goblin shouts, 'Fire in the hole!' and flees. Anyone in the vault immediately loses 2 Body Points but gains an even share of 200 gold coins each from the exploding chest. The blast also destroys the wall between the vault and yard, merging the two areas into one big room.

H. The secret door in this newspaper office is a window to the balcony. The mummy holds a spell scroll allowing any hero to cast Heal Body as an action once before it crumbles to dust. The Goblin Gazette is printed on the back.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Treasurer
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 749
Images: 1
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member


Return to Quests and Quest Packs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest