Page 1 of 3

Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 8:15 am
by The Admiral
I'm reading through this quest pack as I do for all the ones I am contemplating playing in the near future. The story starts and flows well initially, but then just seems to taper off. Quests 1-4 flow nicely into each other as the storyline proceeds and builds. Quest 5 is to obtain a useful artifact, but it is mainly for use against the undead, and this is really not an undead quest. There are some, but not many. Quests 6 and 7 see the Heroes defeating an incursion into the empire by the growing chaos forces. There is important information to be gained. And that is where the story sort of stops? There is no "information" found in these two quests.

Now on to quest 8. The Heroes must "spy" on the chaos forces of Fort Fimir. The Elf and dwarf sneak in the back door on their recon mission, while the Wizard and Barbarian with some troops distract the evil minions outside the fort. But then the last sentence of the quest intro says "You are looking for the Fimir artifact, Eye of Rimif". Was it a spying mission or a quest for an artifact. There is no information to be gained anyway, but there is the artifact. But why do we need it? this is not explained, there are no details on its use, and we never hear of it again.

Quest 9: "After infiltrating the Fort and gathering what information you could" (there wasn't any!), The Empire has requested that you find the mystical armour of the Chaos Warrior." Why? Again we are given no reason why it's needed, how it could be used, and we never hear of it again.

Quest 10 has the Heroes clearing an empire mine captured by the chaos forces.

Quests 10-14 are just general fights against generic chaos forces. They are simply titled War I, War II, War III and War IV. War III has a final big battle in the central skull throne room, with monsters, treasure chests and a Warlock. Unfortunately there is no information on the Warlock as to who he is or what his stats/spells are? Similarly, War I has a Chaos Sorcerer icon with no stats or spell info.

In the final quest (War IV) we meet a Warlock. I assume he is the "leader" mentioned in the quest intro, but we are not told. He has no name and there is no explanation for what he is trying to do or why, although he does have stats and spells.

The actual quests themselves though are excellent, with lots of different and interesting stuff going on. I guess I just like a bit more than 'Here are some monsters, kill them.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 8:25 am
by Pancho
The Fort Fimir Quest is great. I haven’t played it but I liked the look of it so much that I printed it off and added it to a Fimir quest pack, just tweaking the story a bit to fit the central story.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 8:59 am
by j_dean80
Any way you could post a link to the Packs when you discuss them? I’d love to look at it, but can’t find it.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 9:15 am
by The Admiral
It's in the 'Archived Quests' on page 3 of 'Quests and Quest Packs'.

Yes, I think I will play quest 8 as a one off quest when the Heroes need to retrieve an important item. Quests 9 and 10 are also good stand alone quests. Quests 1-7 will play nicely as a quest pack with the final encounter in the Fire Pit room. I will also look at maybe making some of the later quests as the finale to the unfinished Eve of Chaos quest pack.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: January 20th, 2021, 11:02 am
by j_dean80
The Admiral wrote:It's in the 'Archived Quests' on page 3 of 'Quests and Quest Packs'.


Thanks, looks interesting.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: March 24th, 2021, 12:56 pm
by RomanTHEold
HOLY BLEEP! I made this quest a long time ago now, almost 18 years or more ago. I am looking for the files again, and I guess I have to do some touch up to it! Someone tracked me down to ask about the files the other day, Im guessing its someone on here. If I can find the files I will get them off.

So the funny thing about this quest pack, I don't think I ever got around to playing most of it, if any really. I know I got the game out a couple times, but dont recall if we ever tested it, so its wonderful to hear that people liked at least some of it.

I know at somepoint I was also working on some solo things as well I think, its all a bit foggy.

I still have my game, though it sits currently (partly due to covid , partly due to so much else happening) I hope to get my kiddo to play it, just have to work on a good AI for it, and thanks to games like Gloomhaven , some things can be borrowed from that

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: March 24th, 2021, 5:51 pm
by lestodante
But please post a link to the questpack. I checked the Archived Quests topic but there are 8 pages and no file to download.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 5:06 pm
by RomanTHEold
Well after some digging into old files on a computer , 2 updates ago, I found the files and took a look. Those were ROUGH! I know I can do better now that I have some age on myself, so I am trying to rework some of the story a little better. I may rework the maps in terms of graphics, but we will see if I have time for that.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 7:15 pm
by Poctuk
Hey,

Love how HeroQuest comes in and out of peoples lives.

StratosVX has updated the archived quests (including Into the Golbin Ranks) here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2AFqOvM19Djd1lkRjBEd1o4U3c

Nice little treasure trove this one!

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 5:33 pm
by RomanTHEold
HOly Jinkys! I had no idea that it was redone to be in the classic book form! Or at least I dont recall it happening some 15+ years ago. So when I have some updates to this, is someone going to update the book in that form again? is whomever did it willing to do it again I guess is the question?