• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Into the Goblin Ranks

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

Re: Into the Goblin Ranks

Postby StratosVX » March 28th, 2021, 8:09 pm

RomanTHEold wrote:HOly Jinkys! I had no idea that it was redone to be in the classic book form! Or at least I dont recall it happening some 15+ years ago. So when I have some updates to this, is someone going to update the book in that form again? is whomever did it willing to do it again I guess is the question?

I don't remember how many years ago I converted the archived quests, but I know it wasn't 15 years ago. If you update this quest, I can make the changes and reupload them. I just can't promise a fast turn around with all that I have going on. When you have them done, just send me the files and I'll convert it when I get a chance.

EDIT: Looking at the pdf, I don't think this is one I converted. This might be one I found and put in my folder for completeness. I'd have to find my files and check. If it's not one I did, I can still make an updated version, it will just take more time.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Poctuk » March 28th, 2021, 9:49 pm

RomanTHEold wrote:HOly Jinkys! I had no idea that it was redone to be in the classic book form! Or at least I dont recall it happening some 15+ years ago. So when I have some updates to this, is someone going to update the book in that form again? is whomever did it willing to do it again I guess is the question?

You’re a Celebrity and didn’t know it!

Like Searching for Sugar Man! Lol
Poctuk

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby The Admiral » April 22nd, 2021, 9:43 am

Starting to solo playtest this now with one of my Hero groups. Quests 6 and 8 have a large (7x8) outside area. I've looked through all the available tiles on this site and can't find it. Does anyone know where this is please?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » April 23rd, 2021, 6:41 pm

The Admiral wrote:Starting to solo playtest this now with one of my Hero groups. Quests 6 and 8 have a large (7x8) outside area. I've looked through all the available tiles on this site and can't find it. Does anyone know where this is please?

It’s from Against the Ogre Horde.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 24th, 2021, 7:35 am

Ha, so it is.
Thanks.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Quest 12 a dead end

Postby The Admiral » May 10th, 2021, 10:04 am

Just playing quest 12 and my Heroes have hit a dead end. I think there should be some sort of door into room C from the room on its right? That's how I'm going to play it.

I have also moved the chasm tile one square left so that it links in with the two adjoining double passages which I will say are a continuous chasm that is impassable.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RomanTHEold » June 16th, 2021, 3:29 pm

The Admiral wrote:Just playing quest 12 and my Heroes have hit a dead end. I think there should be some sort of door into room C from the room on its right? That's how I'm going to play it.

I have also moved the chasm tile one square left so that it links in with the two adjoining double passages which I will say are a continuous chasm that is impassable.

Moving the chasm is a good idea.

as for the door - there is supposed to be a door just about the C marked. Looks like they missed it.
RomanTHEold

Hero:

Postby RomanTHEold » June 16th, 2021, 3:31 pm

So I had spent some time on the story and some updating. Some thoughts would be welcome!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H7X ... sp=sharing
RomanTHEold

Hero:

Postby The Admiral » June 17th, 2021, 4:10 am

RomanTHEold wrote:
The Admiral wrote:Just playing quest 12 and my Heroes have hit a dead end. I think there should be some sort of door into room C from the room on its right? That's how I'm going to play it.

Moving the chasm is a good idea.

as for the door - there is supposed to be a door just about the C marked. Looks like they missed it.

Thanks for that.

My brother and I played 'The Elementarium Magi' a few weeks ago, but as we finished that with some time to spare we played Quest 1 of this with one of his Hero groups. The start of the quest is quite vicious with room B followed by the two avenging chaos warriors. He was worried that if the whole quest was this hard he would be in trouble! The rest of the quest is relatively easy and so I strengthened the final battle with the General. He is only chaos warrior level and has little to protect him. His guards only get into action after his death. I therefore changed the following:
1) I moved the Orc from the adjoining room directly in front of the General. This gives him some cover and anyone trying to get around the side has a 50/50 chance of falling down the pit. You could even call him captain of the Guard (a nice hint to the Heroes i.e. What guard? a couple of goblins?) and give him an extra attack die or something using the Orc with the knotched sword.
2) I liked the idea of the Summon Goblins scroll and so I gave it to the General instead. He can use it and if not it can be claimed by the Hero who kills him.
3) I had the adjoining door open when the first Hero stepped through the door so that his guards can get involved in the fight. This door could be opened when the door to room H is opened, when the General is attacked, or on Zargon's first turn after the door to room H is opened.

I am so busy at the moment I will review your storyline as we play this. We are hoping to play some further quests early July. in my opinion the Intro and Q1 are fine as they are.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 18th, 2021, 6:50 am

Quest 2: The storyline flows well.
Room B in the top left corner needs a door.

Quest 3: The storyline flows well.
No problems here, but I changed one tiny thing to suit my own taste. I moved the Alchemist's Bench in room C one space to the right. I don't like rooms where there's no access to some parts of it.

Quest 4: The storyline flows well and everything looks fine.

Quest 5: The storyline flows well. Little side quest to find an artefact.
My main problem with this is the artefact itself. I know it has knockback, but I don't think that is a great feature when you consider that for the loss of a shield you only get 2 attack dice, or 3 against the undead. I would take a longsword/Shield or Battleaxe over this any day. So I would never use it. I would consider increasing its attack stats to 3/4. I would also add the undead to the knockback. I would also consider that knocked back monsters trigger traps/fall down pits. The monsters don't normally trigger traps; that makes sense as they set them and know how to avoid them. However, in an uncontrolled knockback I don't think they would be able to avoid triggering them. This would also make the knockback ability more potent.

Quests 6 and 7 (Double Quest): The storyline flows well. Everything looks fine.

Quest 8: The storyline is confused in my opinion. It is described as a spying mission even though, as we discover in the next quest, no specific information is found. But it is then described as a mission to get an artefact. Some reason for finding the 'Eye of Rimif' would be nice. Also, can it be used or kept, and if so what are its abilities? I have it that the Fimirs are guarding this artefact for the Chaos leader who is encountered at the end of Quest 14. I allow the Wizard to use it for the duration of the questpack, but he then must return it. It is a chaos artefact and there is therefore some danger in using it.
Eye of Rimif This dark mystical jewel contains many powers of chaos. Be wary of its use. The Eye contains the 12 Game system Chaos Spells. Each may be used once, but they never replenish. It may only be used by the Wizard. Before casting a spell the Wizard must roll 2d6. If the total is more than 3 higher than the Wizard's current Mind Points Zargon may cast the spell instead.

My Intro:
After a short break from the action, but barely enough time for your wounds to heal from the battle at Dungnar, you have been sent to infiltrate the Fort of the Fimirs in order to find the Chaos Artefact the Eye of Rimif. This powerful jewel must not fall into the hands of a more powerful force. The Dwarf and Elf (and 1 Troop) are to sneak in the back door while the Barbarian, the Wizard and some troops distract a majority of the evil at the fort entrance.

While I really like the concept going on here, I really believe that the Barbarian and Wizard will be overwhelmed unless they are phenomenally powerful characters. What Ogre stats are you using, because if it's the 10BP version this would really be insane. I would suggest removing the four Ogres, regardless of their stats. This would still be difficult, but doable I think.

Quest 9: The intro seems odd as no information was gathered? Certainly nothing about the furtherance of the story or the Chaos Armour. And again there is no real reason given for its retrieval. Even a brief note about keeping this powerful artefact out of your enemies hands for the coming battles etc. would be useful. I have the following intro:
After retrieving the Eye of Rimif from Fort Fimir the Empire has now requested that you obtain another chaos artefact in order to stop it being used against us in the coming conflict. It is the mystical Armour of the Chaos Warrior. Know that all that have looked for this armour have never been heard from again.
Armour of the Chaos Warrior This armour works in the same way as Platemail, but the two extra defence dice it provides also defend on a Black Shield. If both those extra dice are rolled as Black Shields they negate two skulls as normal, but both dice must be rolled again. If both dice are again Black Shields the Hero turns to chaos and is now controlled by Zargon until their death. If resurrected by magic or an Elixir of Life the Hero is no longer evil.
Again I would allow the armour to remain in the Heroes' possession until the end of the questpack.

Quest 10: This all looks fine.

Quest 11: The Chaos Sorcerer in room C needs stats and spells. I would call this quest just 'War' rather than 'War 1' This means you can give the final 3 climatic battles more interesting titles.

Quest 12 and 13: I think these need more interesting titles and stories. The climax of Quest 13 is a fight against a Chaos Sorcerer, but he is unamed and has no stats or spells. How about something like the following:
Quest 12 - Across the Chasm
It seems the war is being coordinated by a powerful Chaos Champion called A. He is being assisted by his Chaos Warlock named B. You must first destroy B before attempting to defeat A. B resides deep inside his stronghold which lies across a deep chasm. You must fight your way over the bridge and into the fortress. Prepare well my Heroes for a great battle awaits.
Quest 13 - Onward and downward
Intro is fine as written.

Quest 14 - Quest is fine. I would title it 'A's last Stand' or 'Time to End This War' or something else?
I would put this sentence before the current intro: 'It is now time to finish this war by defeating A.'
I would title A as a Chaos Champion as you have already fought a Warlock in the last quest. His stats and spells are fine as it is.
What if A doesn't get a chance to cast his Escape spell? There needs to be some mechanism whereby he always escapes.

Well that's it. I think this is a really great questpack with a number of different and interesting situations. Please don't take the above as any criticism, it is just my ideas and observations. Feel free to use any of it or not as you see fit.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Quests and Quest Packs