Page 1 of 1

[Single Quests] [4 Quests] - Renegades & Riches

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 5:04 am
by knightkrawler
These four quests are for HQ - Heroes & Villains, but can also easily be played using standard HQ rules intuitively adapting
and - with some effort - standard HQ cards and writing stuff down.
They all use the regular gameboard except the last which uses the double-corridor board. Here, you can simply ignore the outer fields and one row in the central horizontal corridors and room.

They are all base on officially published quests
- Revenge of the Weather-Man
- Halls of Durrag-Dol
- Plague of Zombies
- Eyrie of the Storm Master (from Wizards of Morcar)
and compiled into a Filler Quest Book,
which means they are standalone adventures individually.

Last week, I present them all individually in the appropriate threads, this quest book is slightly edited with some background entries for locations.
Have fun! Feedback welcome, of course.

[Additional components needed for Aerie of the Stormfiend: 7-10 Mongrels, 1 Mongrel Elementalist, 2 Reavers, 3 Taurs, 3 Wights
2 coffins (from Champion of the Empire or Heroes & Villains), 2 closed and 5 open double-doors (from Ye Olde Inn or CotE), 1 earthquake and 1 lightning tile (from H&V or WoM), 3 fireburst trap tiles (from WoM or H&V), throne room tile (from H&V or RotWL),
Witchery Spell Cards: Blinding Sleet, Hurricane, Earthquake, Tempest, Twist Wood, Lightning Bolt,, Wall of Ice (from H&V)

Additional components needed for Plague of Wights: 6 Fenwights, 3 Mongrels, 2 Reavers,
1 closed and 1 open double-door (from Ye Olde Inn or Champion of the Empire), 2 coffins (from CotE or RotWL), 1 iron entrance and 1 wooden exit door (from KK or MotM)
Equipment Card: Sacred Water (from H&V)
2nd Search Card: Sacred Water (from H&V)
Witchery Spell Cards: Bone Warriors, Raise the Dead, Summon Reaver, Summon Undead (from H&V)

Additional components needed for The Halls of Durán-Dael: 3-5 Broodlings, 1 Gray Prophet, 1 Ratbeast, 1 Ratswarm, 1 Reaver, 2 Trolls
1 closed and 7 open double-doors (from Ye Olde Inn or CotE), Durrag-Dol tile final version (from Ye Olde Inn)
Equipment Cards: x2 Enchanted Dagger
Scroll Cards

Additional components needed for The Weathertop Warlock: 1 Frostgolem, 4 Readers, +1 Skeleton, 3 Wights
+6 double blocked square tiles (also from MotM), pit tile (from AHQ or use long pit trap from H&V or MotM)

These Quests are intended to be played with knightkrawler's HQ - Heroes and Villains rules set and a 40-mm gameboard (from H&V.) Check the link in the signature below. A standard board could instead be used with some simple adjustment of the furniture. -edit]

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests]

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 7:42 am
by j_dean80
Where is the link?

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests]

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 7:48 am
by knightkrawler
j_dean80 wrote:Where is the link?


Geez. :? Added.

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests]

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 1:14 pm
by j_dean80
I do see some similarities from mine posted. Hope I helped your creativeness and not just some eerie coincidence.

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests]

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 1:39 pm
by knightkrawler
j_dean80 wrote:I do see some similarities from mine posted. Hope I helped your creativeness and not just some eerie coincidence.


I've been following your work, but my brain doesn't work that way.
I would have to write down ideas to implement them later, but I freely admit that good ideas might hold onto my subconscious.
As it is, all changes I make from an original quest are on the fly, when I see the quest, its props and its problems,
literally when I fill out the map in HeroScribe.

So, yes, eerie coincidence... call it a case of "Great Minds Think Alike", though...
I'd prefer that.

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests]

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 10:31 am
by Gold Bearer
There's a door to a blacked out room in the last one. ;)

Stand alone quests between quest books is a nice idea.

The grey prophet could do with some clarification. I take it he actually draws spells from the heroes rather than just having access to the same spells. Also it says random, is this a random spell from a random set or from a chosen set?

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests]

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 10:52 am
by knightkrawler
Gold Bearer wrote:There's a door to a blacked out room in the last one. ;)

Stand alone quests between quest books is a nice idea.

The grey prophet could do with some clarification. I take it he actually draws spells from the heroes rather than just having access to the same spells. Also it says random, is this a random spell from a random set or from a chosen set?


All hero players hold up the rest of their still-usable spells. The Gray Prophet draws one, being able to gamble based on the cards backs he sees.
There's only three possible card backs in play: the Wizard's (e.g. "Sorcery" for the Guildmage), the Adept's (e.g. "Miracle" for the Purifier), and the set that every spellcaster can possibly have cards from: "Cantrip", so it's rather difficult for him to aim for something specific.
Yes, this Gray Prophet ONLY works like that and does not have a spell of his own. Just wanted to try that, and the Brood/Skaven as that parasitic race seemed a good thematic fit.

Will see about that balcked out room.

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests] Renegades & Riches

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 5:21 pm
by Daedalus
I added some links and stuff to the end of the OP to help downloaders, and I also have a few questions.

First, how well equipped do you recommend a group of Heroes be to undertake the easiest of these Quests? Are the Quests ordered in difficulty? If not, could you recommend one as the starter?

Also, in The Halls of Durán-Dael, a long pit trap using an AHQ pit tile spans the double-corridor leading to the central room. Is it simply treated as a pit trap?

I assume the Chaos Sorcerer figure can be used for the final encounter of The Weathertop Warlock, so no special Lich figure was mentioned in the OP edit.

Re: [Single Quests] [4 Quests] Renegades & Riches

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 2:26 am
by knightkrawler
Daedalus wrote:How well equipped do you recommend a group of Heroes be to undertake the easiest of these Quests? Are the Quests ordered in difficulty? If not, could you recommend one as the starter?


These "Filler" Quest compilations, Legends Lost and Renegades & Riches each consist of quests that are to be played if and when Morcar sees fit and individually between quest packs. These are the quests that don't need embedding in a larger storyline and can be played stand-alone. So Morcar can look at the map and the task and interpret if it's right for the heroes in any given advancement status.

Daedalus wrote:Also, in The Halls of Durán-Dael, a long pit trap using an AHQ pit tile spans the double-corridor leading to the central room. Is it simply treated as a pit trap?


Yes. I have to admit I do not like that icon one bit and will probably use multiple regular pit trap icons even when it's a whole room full of pits in the future with a corresponding entry in the Trap Key to clear up how they are played.

Daedalus wrote:I assume the Chaos Sorcerer figure can be used for the final encounter of The Weathertop Warlock, so no special Lich figure was mentioned in the OP edit.


As you know, all my quest packs use new "monsters" because part of my hobby is collecting and painting minis. I don't want to write two stories every time, one for my Mongrels (Beastmen) and one for the vanilla HQ Orcs (which have the same stats) because that would simply take from the story. People can figure that out by themselves and just use their Orcs. The same with characters. I assume Morcar uses the Chaos Sorcerer for a named spellcaster and probably the Gargoyle for a big named fighter-type.