Page 1 of 3

[Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 11:01 am
by j_dean80
Here is something I have been working on. The picture quality is not great (I only have HQQM to make my quests.) Hope you all enjoy. It could probably use some more play testing. All expansions are required for the full effect. Definitely need some skilled Heroes.

Image
Image

[Heroes playing this Quest should be fully equipped.

Additional components needed: 7+ Crossbowmen, 5+ Halberdiers, any monsters (from any official Quest Packs or Dark Company), 9+ Scouts, 8+ Swordsmen, 6 Villagers
4 breached wall tiles (from WoM), 2 iron entrance doors (from KK or RotWL), +14 closed and +3 open doors, 4 long and 4 short stairway tiles (from KK) -edit]

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 11:27 am
by knightkrawler
Two words in and I'm vomiting blood from hard and tearful laughter: "King Merkel"

I can'T say anthing about quality, this definitely needs some playtesting.
But I have to applaud the idea.

I would just change the "viewable map" part into that the EWP places everything before the quest starts
and then explains how and by whom which doors can be opened and such.
Easier and faster play afterwards...

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 11:34 am
by j_dean80
knightkrawler wrote:Two words in and I'm vomiting blood from hard and tearful laughter: "King Merkel"


A coincidence from what you're thinking. Is actually a name from my story I've been writing.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 11:49 am
by j_dean80
knightkrawler wrote:I would just change the "viewable map" part into that the EWP places everything before the quest starts and then explains how and by whom which doors can be opened and such.
Easier and faster play afterwards...


I wanted the notes viewable to the Heroes too, it is the EWP invading their turf after all.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 11:55 am
by knightkrawler
I can see myself writing something like that. There are some nice ideas there.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 6:34 pm
by j_dean80
Updated the format.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 8:18 pm
by Daedalus
This ambitious Quest promises to be a long, with an average of 140 monsters to fight. For comparison, the four boards of The Dark Company feature 183 monsters, which takes about 5 hours to play.

Have you considered the North American Quest Packs contain some very powerful monsters, including 4 Ogres with 6 Attack Dice/10 Body Points and 2 Polar Warbears that roll 8 Attack Dice/6 Body Points?

Can any monster be chosen by the evil wizard player? If so, that allows some heavy-hitting spellcasters. Can particular monsters, such as Zanrath the High Mage (from WoM) or the Frozen Horror (from FH) be chosen again after they are killed? I'd think not.

Locked doors are a bit problematic. A Hero opens one, an open door replaces the closed one, and he may pass through. As monsters may not pass this door, it seems the best thing to do is to replace the closed door afterwards, before Morcar's/Zargon's turn. How do you suggest handling locked doors? If they instead stay open, Elven Archers and Wizards of Morcar, Vanestra, and the Frozen Horror have line of sight within. Summoning spells could then bypass the locked door.

With all the variety, I'd be interested to hear how this Quest played out.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: August 7th, 2017, 8:50 pm
by j_dean80
Daedalus wrote:This ambitious Quest promises to be a long, with an average of 140 monsters to fight. For comparison, the four boards of The Dark Company feature 183 monsters, which takes about 5 hours to play.

Have you considered the North American Quest Packs contain some very powerful monsters, including 4 Ogres with 6 Attack Dice/10 Body Points and 2 Polar Warbears that roll 8 Attack Dice/6 Body Points?

Can any monster be chosen by the evil wizard player? If so, that allows some heavy-hitting spellcasters. Can particular monsters, such as Zanrath the High Mage (from WoM) or the Frozen Horror (from FH) be chosen again after they are killed? I'd think not.

Locked doors are a bit problematic. A Hero opens one, an open door replaces the closed one, and he may pass through. As monsters may not pass this door, it seems the best thing to do is to replace the closed door afterwards, before Morcar's/Zargon's turn. How do you suggest handling locked doors? If they instead stay open, Elven Archers and Wizards of Morcar, Vanestra, and the Frozen Horror have line of sight within. Summoning spells could then bypass the locked door.

With all the variety, I'd be interested to hear how this Quest played out.


Any monster can be chosen. The Wizards of Morcar do not have monster cards, therefore they are not "generic" monsters. They are more like special "bosses" named in a Quest. The Frozen Horror, on the other hand, does, so therefore can be used again. This Quest takes a lot of strategy on both sides. Which rooms do the Heroes defend? Which rooms does EWP go after? Quick Goblins to "occupy" a room or tough monsters to kill lots of King's Guard? Should the Heroes Attack or ask for Treasure? When do they open the secret door to the Healing Potions?

The "locked doors" should keep a closed door on the board. The Hero or Ally unlocks, goes in, and locks behind him. This keeps the monsters from passing through. This gives the Heroes rooms to "recuperate" and possibly pass a Potion.

If the EWP really wants to kill off all the Heroes...he probably could succeed. I believe every EWP's job is to make it tough but not kill off everyone. Heroes who die often...stop playing. He needs to choose his monsters wisely.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 5:43 pm
by j_dean80
I updated the Quest notes to make these things more clear.

Re: [Group Quest] - Defend the King

PostPosted: August 10th, 2017, 8:20 am
by Gold Bearer
Great idea! |_P