Page 1 of 4

[Preview] [Quest Pack] [4 Quests] - The Champion's Trial

PostPosted: July 19th, 2016, 9:56 pm
by Just_Will
Good evening all!

I'm working on a series of 4 quests designed to take place after Kellar's Keep and RotWL, but before AtOH and WoM to help boost the heroes and give them a greater fighting chance. The expansion set will be titled "The Champion's Trial" to mirror the very first quest, but from the context that the heroes are now champions of the emperor.

The idea is that the heroes will revisit the tombs of the original champions: Rogar; Ladril; Durgin and Telor, to claim their artifacts, thereby gaining abilities to give them a leg up in the challenging quests ahead.

Attached is the first completed quest, with the other 3 to follow as they are completed. Comments and critique are always welcome.

----update, I've completed the draft for all four quests and added them here and on the last post. Any feedback on balance, narrative etc that I could apply to improve these is welcome.---------

[Additional components needed: +1 Mummy, +2 Zombies
Iron Entrance Door (from Kellar's Keep or Return of the Witch Lord, optional), The Weapons Forge tile (from KK)
Aegis of the Ancients and Durgin's Horn Artifact Cards (from this post), -edit]

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 12:39 am
by Anderas
First, i like the quest a lot.
The idea is greatdand, it can even be incorporated as a side quest anywhere.

Then I was wondering a bit about the symbols you use. Do you possibly know Heroscribe? It can ease the work a bit.

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 2:21 am
by Goblin-King
Aah... Nothing like robbing the tombs of ancient heroes :D
The quest looks good. I like how you handled the artifact. +1 deck and access to one of the new decks.

I'd say remove note C entirely. There's really no need for it.

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 3:51 am
by MichaelKruse
I'm liking the idea for a story line quite a lot. Not so sure the heroes need that much buffing up before AtOH, but as Anderas said - these would also make great side quests.

I think you're missing a Wandering Monster at the bottom of the page...

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 3:58 am
by knightkrawler
MichaelKruse wrote:I'm liking the idea for a story line quite a lot. Not so sure the heroes need that much buffing up before AtOH, but as Anderas said - these would also make great side quests.


After three quest packs, you never know.
The idea definitely makes sense. If two heroes die in the last two quests of RotWL, you have a possibility here to buff up the group again.

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 4:40 am
by MichaelKruse
knightkrawler wrote:If two heroes die in the last two quests of RotWL, you have a possibility here to buff up the group again.


That's true. At the moment I'm almost all the way through AtOH with four Heroes having survived KK and RotWL (three of them "Rise of the Chaos God" as well). A few close calls in AtOH, but this set of Heroes don't need any additional artifacts. I guess I was mainly referencing to this experience.

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 9:58 am
by Just_Will
Ok, here it is with the Wandering Monster added.

Goblin-King wrote:Aah... Nothing like robbing the tombs of ancient heroes :D
The quest looks good. I like how you handled the artifact. +1 deck and access to one of the new decks.

I'd say remove note C entirely. There's really no need for it.


Thanks GK! I'm glad you like it! You raise a good point but I am going to stick with note C. The tome recording the deeds of the champion in the hidden room will be recurrent in all 4 quests and I want the heroes to find it even if they forget to search the room for secret doors (hence traps and treasures will still trigger it).

As far as difficulty, I will be playing AtOH and WoM with North American rules, so I'm not sure if that'll make it tougher. That said, the artifacts shouldn't be game breaking. (I have the stats for them drafted up already)

I'll have Quest 2: Durgin's Vault up either tonight or tomorrow. It just needs a couple of finishing touches. The layouts are done for for Quest 3: Rogar's Hall and Quest 4: Telor's Crypt. I just need to add text, notes and traps. They should be up in the next couple of days too.

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 10:43 am
by Just_Will
Anderas wrote:First, i like the quest a lot.
The idea is greatdand, it can even be incorporated as a side quest anywhere.

Then I was wondering a bit about the symbols you use. Do you possibly know Heroscribe? It can ease the work a bit.


Admittedly I did this all in paint. I'll have to look into heroscribe. I've seen it around.

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 3:06 pm
by Gold Bearer
I really like the idea of doing one quest for each of the original heroes. |_P

Just_Will wrote:The idea is that the heroes will revisit the tombs of the original champions: Rogar; Ladril; Durgin and Telor, to claim their artifacts, thereby gaining abilities to give them a leg up in the challenging quests ahead.
I thought Ladril and Durgin were the current elf and dwarf. Do the current ones have official names?

Just_Will wrote:As far as difficulty, I will be playing AtOH and WoM with North American rules, so I'm not sure if that'll make it tougher.
Yes it will, a lot! Mainly because of the chaos warriors. M7 A4 D4 BP3 MP3 instead of M4 A3 D4 BP1 MP3. HUGE difference.

Just_Will wrote:Admittedly I did this all in paint. I'll have to look into heroscribe. I've seen it around.
Tis awesome!

Just a very picky minor point. Elvin is spelt elven in HQ, as in elven warrior and elven archer from the frozen horror expansion. Not that you should care but just in case you do. ;)

Re: The Champion's Trial. Expansion to main cannon -in progr

PostPosted: July 20th, 2016, 5:27 pm
by Just_Will
Gold Bearer wrote:
Just a very picky minor point. Elvin is spelt elven in HQ, as in elven warrior and elven archer from the frozen horror expansion. Not that you should care but just in case you do. ;)


Oh I do care good sir! I care a lot!!

I'll fix it tonight. Can't believe I missed that. I know better but maybe it's because whiskey. |_P

I'm not aware of cannonical names for the existing heroes. I took the original hero names from the Rulebook fluff/story.