Page 1 of 4

DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 19th, 2013, 7:00 pm
by jeffmoore
I am working on a quest pack based on the original Diablo computer game. The pack will introduce the Warrior, Rogue, and Sorcerer Hero types as presented in the original Diablo. I plan to provide all new item tables that use restrictions based on MIND and BODY. The Warrior begins with the highest BODY score and melee weapons and heavy armor require this. The Sorcerer begins with the highest MIND score and spell tomes for casting powerful spells require this. The Rogue has a balance of both MIND and BODY and ranged weapons like bows will require this. It's all inspired by original DIablo. There will be no equipment or spell restrictions based on Hero type, only MIND and BODY requirements and I plan to have all the original quests from the computer game recreated using the HeroQuest game board.

Please, take a look at what I've done so far!

The first 12 pages are for the first 2 quests ... the next page is a work in progress. Ignore that if you don't mind. Also I plan to redo the second quest map to be like the first one graphically.

Thanks!!

Jeff

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 19th, 2013, 7:51 pm
by chaoticprime
I love how well you wrote the rules. They are exemplary. They are also intelligent.

I also love how you used the Diablo font.

I did not love that the art used to depict the sorcerer character was from Pathfinder. Though only because I hate Pathfinder.

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 2:58 am
by jeffmoore
Yeah, as with all this sort of fan made stuff you dress up with what art you can find. I wanted a black Wizard like the Sorcerer from Diablo, but it's really disappointing how little representation black people receive in fantasy art ... almost none.

Oh, and thanks a million for the feedback!


Jeff

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 3:44 am
by chaoticprime
jeffmoore wrote:Yeah, as with all this sort of fan made stuff you dress up with what art you can find. I wanted a black Wizard like the Sorcerer from Diablo, but it's really disappointing how little representation black people receive in fantasy art ... almost none.

Oh, and thanks a million for the feedback!


Jeff


That's a very valid point. In the original D&D setting Greyhawk, the largest portion of the population are the Flan. Gary Gygax said the Flan were supposed to be like ancient Nubians and Ethiopians--they were meant to be black. I dare you to find one piece of artwork reflecting this.

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 4:24 am
by tasoe
great job jeffmoore. I haven't had time to read all the rules yet but it shows that great work has been done.
I hope I get to try it out with some of my mates.
In the meantime, time to dig up the old diablo 1 disc for a nice trip down memory lane.

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 5:57 am
by Sjeng
Ha! nice. I like the coloured maps, but why the second different map?

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 7:12 am
by Goblin-King
jeffmoore wrote:Yeah, as with all this sort of fan made stuff you dress up with what art you can find. I wanted a black Wizard like the Sorcerer from Diablo, but it's really disappointing how little representation black people receive in fantasy art ... almost none.


Well why not just use the actual sorcerer image from diablo?
You are "borrowing" from an copyrighted game anyway, and it's not like you are hiding the pack is based on Diablo.

Link to all the concept art: http://www.diablo1.ru/galery/diablo-artwork.php

Image

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 9:44 am
by jeffmoore
Goblin-King wrote:Well why not just use the actual sorcerer image from diablo?
You are "borrowing" from an copyrighted game anyway, and it's not like you are hiding the pack is based on Diablo.


I started out that way. But, decided I wanted color images for the character cards.

sjeng wrote:Ha! nice. I like the coloured maps, but why the second different map?


The first page is the first dungeon level, page 10 is the second quest and second level of the dungeon. You might be referring to that, especially if you downloaded the PDF right after I had posted this as the graphic was of a different design initially. Now the two maps are of the same graphic format. Or you might be talking about page 12 which is currently a duplicate of page 1. That's just a place holder. There will be a new map for that third quest coming soon. This whole thing is a work in progress.

Or did you mean, "Why didn't I make the Butcher Quest map part of the first map?" That's about pacing. I don't have a great handle on that yet, but the idea is that each individual quest board is meant to be completed in a single go with no 'trip back to town' in between. So, I need to break it up into individual quests so that the group can return to town spend some money on attribute improvements and regroup as it were.

Or, did I not make the distinctions between the quests clear enough? If the document is confusing please let me know and I will try to fix it.

Speaking of 'no trip back to town between quests' ... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might handle my conversion of the Town Portal spell? Currently my plan is to just leave it out entirely.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.


Jeff

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 11:53 am
by chaoticprime
Make a spell called "Town Portal" with the effect that once it has been cast on a Hero, that Hero may elect to be transported back to town at any time (similar to how a potion works). To avoid a potentially lethal attack, the election must be made prior to Zargon throwing the monster's attack dice.

Re: DiabloQuest

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 11:55 am
by chaoticprime
You could also make quests with more than one map--Carl Sargent's Eyes of Chaos does just that, and I believe it to be the absolute best Quest in the game.