• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

minotaurs, ghosts, nith goblins and more

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

minotaurs, ghosts, nith goblins and more

Postby Templar » November 15th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Hello.

I have made some new monsters recently, to be used with my other modifications, like new characters and spells etc...I use the European version, so all standard monsters only have 1 BP. Boring! I needed new ones!

Some are very simple, and some others needed new rules or monster spell schools... I will inform you of these when needed.

First, the simple ones!

Night Goblin
Attack 1
Defence 1
Mind 2
Body 1
Move 8
Is equipped with a bow...2 attack dice against all enemies the monster can see, but that isn't in a square next to it.

Centaur
Attack 3
Defence 3
Mind 4
Body 2
Move 12
Is equipped with a bow...2 attack dice against all enemies the monster can see, but that isn't in a square next to it.

Minotaur
Attack 5
Defence 4
Mind 1
Body 3
Move 8

Ghost
Attack 1 psycic (this means the attack affects mind points. In addition, no normal defence roll can be made...instead, the target rolls one battle dice for each mind point it has. If one or more shields are rolled, the whole attack is avoided)
Defence 3 immaterial (this means that the ghost only can be affected by spells, or close combat attacks where you roll one dice for each mind point of the attacker. Also, when moving, the ghost can pass other figures and are not affected by non-magical traps.)
Mind 0
Body 1
Move 6

Coming next: Chaos Warlock and Vampire!!
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: minotaurs, ghosts, nith goblins and more

Postby Goblin-King » November 15th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Not a whole lot to comment on. 50% of monster balancing is how many and which combination you meet in the dungeon :-)

However... Does psychic attacks drain MP instead of BP? That means the barbarian can only be hit twice!!!
And what would happen if a monster had let's say 4 Psychic attacks? Would the defender have to roll 4 times with an amount of dice equal to his MP?
Does psychic attacks automatically hit an enemy with 0 Mp?

Also... Is all your equipment worthless if attacking an Immaterial enemy as only MP seem to matter?
Unless you create some equipment to boost MP this seems a bit unfair. The heroes can't grow or specialize in killing Immaterial enemies.

Well, the ghost has "only" 3 defense and even the Barbarian have 2 MP. 2 attacks vs 3 defense. Perhaps not that uneven.
But if you create stronger immaterial enemies the barb will be helpless.

Notice how my post started with: "Not a whole lot to comment on" :roll:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » November 15th, 2011, 9:05 pm

That's how it is. The Barb specializes in beating the crap out of physical beings dealing physical dmg.

The Wizard can be seen as the other end of the spectrum, assuming you want to give him some spirit attack too; which Beernut attributed to the magic attack on the artifact 1 dmg staff the wizard gets soon in the basic set quests. Not only that, but he has the greatest mind points of the group, and can handle ghosts better - give the wizard a direct inherent attack on ghosts to balance, I would advise.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 17th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Nice work, Templar.

I'd give the Night Goblin a move of 10, equal to a Goblin. The wuss is gonna need it to avoid those jerk-Heroes.
A Hero wielding the Spirit Blade should use the 4 combat dice of the weapon against a Ghost, as it is undead. Maybe you could include this under the immaterial (incorporeal is a better word) description.

I think a Centaur and Minotaur are great monster choices. Are you aware of Toco's research into the unreleased Wizard's Pack? Those two mosters were to be included in it.

As a style point, I prefer to see my monsters with individual backgrouds, like the base game. I know that's extra work, but it might improve the overall look. Or just ignore my passing comment, as it's just a niggle. Also, shadows should help to tie the monsters into the backgrounds if you know how to add that sort of thing. Most are cropped in the forground at the feet, so no real issue except for the Night Goblin. A simpler fix would be to crop him, too.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Templar » November 17th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Does psychic attacks drain MP instead of BP? That means the barbarian can only be hit twice!!!

Indeed :twisted:. I am not planning on using ghosts extremely often...but when they come, I want the brute force characters to huddle behind the Wizard/Elf and hope that they will take care of them!

Goblin-King wrote:And what would happen if a monster had let's say 4 Psychic attacks? Would the defender have to roll 4 times with an amount of dice equal to his MP?
Does psychic attacks automatically hit an enemy with 0 Mp?

Allways just one roll, its like a normal defence roll but with the mind value deciding how many dices are allowed. One or more shields makes the whole attack go away. And psycic attacks have no effect on the undead, they are allready dead, so a lower mind point wont affect them whatsoever

Goblin-King wrote:Also... Is all your equipment worthless if attacking an Immaterial enemy as only MP seem to matter?
Unless you create some equipment to boost MP this seems a bit unfair. The heroes can't grow or specialize in killing Immaterial enemies.

So far I have only one item that helps with this. I call it a protective stone, and allows you to add 2 dice to a single roll, when that roll is based on how much mind points you have. I could make some more, maybe even an artifact or something...

el_flesh wrote:give the wizard a direct inherent attack on ghosts to balance, I would advise.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what kind of fix you're thinking of here...you mean like give the wizard a special attack against immaterials?

Daedalus wrote:Nice work, Templar.
I think a Centaur and Minotaur are great monster choices. Are you aware of Toco's research into the unreleased Wizard's Pack? Those two mosters were to be included in it.

Thanx Daedalus! I was not aware of this...I just like greek mythology :P

Daedalus wrote:As a style point, I prefer to see my monsters with individual backgrouds, like the base game. I know that's extra work, but it might improve the overall look. Or just ignore my passing comment, as it's just a niggle. Also, shadows should help to tie the monsters into the backgrounds if you know how to add that sort of thing. Most are cropped in the forground at the feet, so no real issue except for the Night Goblin. A simpler fix would be to crop him, too.

You are right, of course, but until I have playtested the monsters I intend to use these simpler cards. Also, I need a better program than Paint to work in ;)

New monster: Chaos Warlock
Attack 2
Defence 4
Mind 6
Body 1
Move 6
Chaos spells - My monster spell schools works in the same way as hero spell schools.
Rust: This spell targets a hero in the same room or corridor. A random piece of equipment is destroyed for the victim. If the object is a staff, club, the enchanted glove or any kind of potion or stone, randomize a new item. All throwing knives count as a single object. If the hero doesn't have an object that can be destroyed by rust, nothing happens.
Blind Rage: This spell targets a hero in the same room or corridor. On this players next turn, he must move directly towards the nearest figure on the board. If the hero reaches this figure, he attacks it with one extra battle dice.
Magic Explosion: Choose a target square within 8 squares of the caster. Any figure on this square, or an any of the 8 surrounding squares in the same room or corridor, is attacked with a one battle dice psycic attack.
Last edited by Templar on November 18th, 2011, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 18th, 2011, 2:48 am

Are you aware of Toco's research into the unreleased Wizard's Pack?

What is this? Link! Link? ...Zelda?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 18th, 2011, 11:30 am

I would be demanding access to this link also!!

Or the village shall burn and the barbarian shall be polymorphed into a jellyfish!

Have you ever seen a jellyfish on dry land?
It isn't pretty.....

:D
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 21st, 2011, 4:05 pm

Here is the first link I came across.
Some pertinent news about the centaur has come to light, found at the end of this thread. You probably should read the whole thread, though.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Templar » November 24th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Man I would like to have some proper Hero Quest centaurs. I've found a model I can use, but it's not going to have the same feel...anyways, thanks for sharing Daedalus!

New monster: Vampire
Attack 4
Defence 3
Mind 5
Body 2
Move 8
Vampiric spells
Soulstorm: This spell targets a hero in the same room or corridor. The victim is hit by an occult attack with two combat dice. (an occult attack affects mind points rather than body points)
Skeleton warriors: Three skeletons appear in the squares next to the caster. Are there not enough nearby squares, any remaining skeletons are placed in squares of the casters choice in the same room or corridor. The skeletons can not move or attack during the current turn.
Summon Wight: A wight appears in a square in the same room or corridor as the summoner. This wight has the following combat values:
Attack - 3 dice, occult
Defence - 6 dice
Mind - 0
Body - 1
Move 4
The wight can move and attack during the current turn. The summoner may not move or attack until the wight is destroyed.

This is intentionally one of my strongest monsters. It will be a real pain to face :twisted:

Rewards:
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » December 9th, 2011, 8:22 am

New cards for the monsters! Plus a card for shambling horror :)

Rewards:
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Monsters