• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Illusive Sea Creature

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Illusive Sea Creature

Postby Nephew of Mentor » March 22nd, 2012, 11:55 pm

I was searching google one fine day and stumbled across a cool mini that could make for a great monster. Tis an octopus with tentacles that move separate from the main portion. It was apparently on Old Scratch's Heroquest site via imageshack. I can only see it in the google images search, but not the forum because Internet here is dodgy at best. I thought it might make a good creature for a quest on the dragon strike board with the river on it. Does anyone know where this mini comes from? Do you think it was homemade or modified from something?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... ys7nVfGhLA
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Illusive Sea Creature

Postby Goblin-King » March 23rd, 2012, 2:59 am

Bump for cool miniature!

It does seem somewhat familiar, but I cant remember where I saw it.
Obviously it has been modded a bit to be on HQ bases. It may not even be white originally.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » March 24th, 2012, 10:31 am

I can't look at this mini without thinking about various Final Fantasy Octopus mini bosses. They always had their tentacles sticking out of the water separate from the head like that and not only would the tentacles get their own attacks but they usually kept you from reaching the head, which is what you actually needed to kill.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » March 24th, 2012, 10:43 am

That actually looks like what I know as a wyndlass...something very similar to the water guardian outside
the walls of moria in Fellowship of the Ring (lord of the rings....tolkien).

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » March 24th, 2012, 11:08 am

And that name, and reference, makes it far more badass too. Note that Terry Brooks made a similar encounter in his first novel "The Sword of Shanara" and in spite of this and many other very similar "coincidences" (Aragorn Character, Sam and Frodo Characters, Shire setting, etc) never admitted to having read Tolkien. Maybe if I search wyndlass I will have better luck. Do you know of any minis of said wyndlass?

I'd love to Ask the folks at Old Scratch's, but apparently there is something wrong with joining from my server, so I cannot even make an account. Just another thing to do if I ever get a dang vpn set up.

Rewards:
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » March 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm

They were recast on HeroQuest bases. Not sure where the original pieces came from. They're pretty cool though.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » March 25th, 2012, 12:21 am

You can certainly see the seam on the tentacles, so I am wondering exactly how much custom work went into the actual shape of the creature. Regardless of whether or not someone cut up an octopus toy and glued it to HQ bases or if someone molded the entire thing from sculpey or fimo, I really like the effect.

Rewards:
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Monsters