• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Yet another Priest/Cleric

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Yet another Priest/Cleric

Postby joec » November 11th, 2010, 11:09 am

Here's a file I created with details on a Hero class I'm working on.

The issue becomes defining an "active round", which is my big issue. I hate when players will wait several rounds to reposition or for an effect to occur, so waiting the prayer rounds out ends up being a cop out to me.

Maybe I'll introduce a wild die rule or something to introduce a wandering monster if a skull comes up or something. I don't know.

But... thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Yet another Priest/Cleric

Postby Ethica » November 11th, 2010, 12:33 pm

I like the idea of a wild die roll to discourage turn waiting. In space crusade every turn was accompanied by a random card from a deck of good and bad occurances, including things like- weapons jam, out of ammo, wandering gene stealer, lure of chaos.

I don't get why they would lose body points or mind points from interupting a prayer.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby joec » November 11th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I'm looking at it as attempting to channel the power of a god. If you properly disconnect that before it's done, there's some backlash.

Rewards:
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tott » November 12th, 2010, 6:48 am

i like the idea of praying to a god and taking the chances. however the way the class is described there i would say they are a bit underpowered, especially in the offensive part. this is a character that would ultimately have to go through a dungeon killing monsters as they go.
id suggest that while you can transfer health points to a nearby character, you dont specify where those health points come from. could it be possible to transfer from an enemy character? healing and attacking at the same time?
also, im not sure id like the idea of a character standing around doing nothing for two rounds with a potentialy very long wait until they can use that ability again, as you said it does encourage people to stand around doing nothing. i think it would add to a more dynamic play style if it was a single round action and the roll to determine how many rounds until it can be used again occurred only on the roll of a black die, otherwise it can be used next turn.
also instead of a cooldown, you could have some other form of penalty, maybe some form of penance cards with a series of conditions that must be met before you can use the ability again. e.g.
kill 2 monsters
sacrifice 2 body points.
donate X gold to Y
open x doors
perform 2 treasure searches. etc

basically options that encourage them to get a move on through the game rather than stand around waiting for a cooldown to wear off.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » November 12th, 2010, 8:59 am

I like tott's gold idea about gold donation. Perhaps you build up holiness as you build up gold for alms. Then you expend the holiness on healing and rocking your skin. This means you're not allowed to collect gold to buy stuff, but you may keep equipment if you find it.

Also, how about some kind of "mean MF servant of god" bonus against undead creatures?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby joec » November 12th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Revised version.

I added an undead bonus, added turning, and revised the "prayer" ability to become "meditation", while lowering meditation to one round, but it's effects take place in between the Heroes' turns and Zargon's turn. I also added a condition to when meditation can be attempted again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tott » November 15th, 2010, 12:13 pm

nice. erm, but what happens if there are no more undead in the quest? also, exactly what does turn and run mean? whats the specifics?
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby joec » November 15th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Turning undead is the act of using holy power to cause the undead to turn and run from the priest.

If there's no more undead, then there's no more undead, and the power can't be used again for that quest.

Rewards:
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Heroes