• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Installing HeroScribe on Windows 7? (trouble shooting)

Postby Maurice76 » March 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Do keep in mind though, that such an old java version presents a serious security risk to your computer.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby devarionarias » March 13th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Maurice76 wrote:Do keep in mind though, that such an old java version presents a serious security risk to your computer.

Is there anything newer than HeroScribe when it comes to just drag and drop HQ map creation which would be less of a risk?
devarionarias

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Anderas » March 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm

The source code is delivered with Heroscribe. It would just need one of us with Java knowledge to repack it for modern java.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 21st, 2019, 2:51 pm

Forgot to follow-up on this, but I did get HeroScribe working finally. Neat stuff. Thanks for everyone who helped! I was wondering how people created those fancy looking quest maps, but it sounds like you just take a screen cap of heroscribe (in high res?) and combine it with a blank page in photoshop and add some text, and maybe a few graphics for the background. Just wondered if anybody had a good lucking clean template for that. So far I've just been messing around with the remade version of the Adventure Design Kit. It comes out a little blurry/pixelated though.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » April 21st, 2019, 3:44 pm

Kurgan wrote:I was wondering how people created those fancy looking quest maps, but it sounds like you just take a screen cap of heroscribe (in high res?)

You should use the export command, not grab a screenshot.

There are various templates here on the inn. There is a Tools topic somewhere.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » April 21st, 2019, 8:03 pm

I believe Count Mohawk made this Photoshop template. There are these templates for the Mac program called Pages that I used when I converted all of the archived quests. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 22nd, 2019, 12:05 am

Thanks, just what I needed. |_P

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Zlatagor » February 20th, 2023, 10:16 am

It might be worth the investment in a new Windows copy to ensure that you have a more secure and up-to-date operating system
Zlatagor

Hero:

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2023, 12:27 am

That said, the heroscribe code is extremely clean. It was part of a master thesis about clean coding. I doubt you'll find a security risk inside heroscribe.

Sadly, it uses that extremely old eps encoder to output files, too... The combination of old java and old ghostscript is difficult to get running, in my opinion, one shouldn't even try. Ghostscript from back in the day HAS security risks. It is really sad that a beautiful piece of software like this is being cancelled by it's dependencies.

My attempt at recoding it with SVG graphics in python failed some years ago as I can't get the SVG transforms to work reliably - there are some quite different interpreters out there.

I exported all the symbols into high quality so that anybody can use them in any software they like and put them for download here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17QUhlf ... p=drivesdk

I think I also made the HQ21 symbols but those are so ugly I didn't ever share, also, there is an active copyright on them...

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Heroes