• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Caller / Summoner

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Caller / Summoner

Postby Ryno » August 9th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Caller

Reaper Mini: 02621

A Caller cannot equip or use any weapons. A Caller has the same armor restrictions as the wizard. This Caller is in no-way a combatant. She is a simple village woman that stumbled upon her incredible natural ability in a tragic accident that resulted in the destruction of her home village as a little girl.

Advancement ideas: If you are using a supplement that allows for character advancement or leveling, I could suggest putting her into magic training (3 cards like the elf) OR combat training.

Tested: The fun, excitement and stress of this character is keeping up your strategy of staying behind enough to never get attacked and of course being able to call any random monster to fight for you every turn. She also makes Zargon's turn more fun by the excitement of a small chance at regaining control of called monsters. You can use what you already have in the monster card deck. But for convenience I recommend printing out a completely separate monster card deck just for the Caller.
Last edited by Ryno on August 18th, 2010, 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryno

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Caller / Summoner

Postby Ryno » August 16th, 2010, 1:58 pm

I tested her and removed the "anything but a monster shield on 1 attack die to call" From now on, she always calls when she wants to. A limitation of the Caller is that she may not move and then call or call and then move.

I added a different rule, that is really fun/exciting/stressful for the heroes and really fun/exciting for Zargon.

The called monster remains on the board until the beginning of Zargon's turn in which he may attempt to regain control of the monster by rolling a black shield on 1 combat die. Rolling a skull or hero shield results in the monster vanishing into thin air.
Ryno

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » August 16th, 2010, 2:50 pm

an interesting idea - I don't know about not having ANY weapon, however. should have a very limited weapon selection, maybe - like
can only use staff or dagger, and nothing else.
And, I would give it 2 defense - notice that ALL other characters have 2 defense dice to roll, and that is without any armor.
What is the armor selection for this character? Same restriction as wizard? If you want, you could make it have a very limited
armor selection as well, but it should be able to wear SOMETHING, in case it finds magical armor that protects better.
Otherwise, I personally think it would be a very underpowered character - its a neat idea though.

As an alternative - the Caller could call any monster in sight to fight for him, and THEN zargon could take back control at the beginning
of his next turn.
Just a thought.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ryno » August 18th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Thanks torilen for the feedback! I updated the Caller's back story (above) and argue that she can't attack and only 1 defend die because she is a simple village woman who happens to have this incredible ability. In my test, she played in a party with 3 others very very well. The only real danger for her was if a monster turned on her. Luckily for the player, it never happened. The fun part of the strategy is staying far back enough to call a monster without being targeted by others.

I am a big proponent of character advancement so maybe as she advances she can start to learn basic magic or combat tactics, like you said, at least give her the dagger and staff or maybe 3 magic cards like the elf.

I really like the alternative idea, but I think it will frustrate Zargon. I think that idea would make for a GREAT spell card.

In my test, she was a very powerful player. She called a Polar Warbear in one of her turns! I do admit though, she MAY need some more quests to be fully tested to see if she dies way too easy.
Ryno

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby joec » August 18th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Nice work!

I like it, but I'd raise the stats to 1 attack die (with the dagger/staff limit) and 2 defend dice. Personally, I like the no moving when calling option, so if you call big, you better be prepared to have it turn on you.

I'm also a bastard and wouldn't allow armor because it'll help balance the power out.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Heroes