• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

First Quest Heroes for Heroquest

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

First Quest Heroes for Heroquest

Postby Jazzdrummer » April 29th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Heroquest versions of the heroes from 2nd edition Ad&d First Quest Box. Inspired from some heroes Odanan made https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8 with a few tweaks from myself. :) Odanan's are great as well. Either way I thought they should be listed. I really like the simplicity of these heroes that I think are on par with the original cast but with a tad more flavor. I'm using weapons from Dewayne Agin's custom armory http://north-american.yeoldeinn.com/rul ... rmoury.php so some of these stats might change drastically depending on what armory you're using.

***UPDATED 4/30/18***

The FIGHTER

Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack: :skull: :skull: (+ :skull: with one-handed weapons)
Defend: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
Move: :roll6: :roll6:

Starting Weapon: Short sword
Starting Armor: None

***ABILITIES***
1. The fighter gets +1 attack dice with one-handed weapons.

The CLERIC

Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack: :skull: :skull:

Starting Weapon: Mace
Restrictions: Can only use blunt weapons (Hammer, Mace, Flail)

***Abilities***
1. When the cleric is attacking undead all :blackshield: rolled count as :skull: and when defending against undead all :blackshield: rolled count as :whiteshield: .
2. The Cleric can use spells from 1 school of magic. (Probably needs to be custom spells that fit a cleric such as healing and restorative magic)

The RANGER

Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack: :skull: :skull: (+ :skull: against Orcs and Goblins)

Starting Weapon: Long Bow
Restrictions: Can not use plate armor or a shield. Can not use two-handed melee weapons.

***ABILITIES***
1. When making an attack roll with a bow, the Ranger may reroll one of the attack dice.
2. The Ranger gets a +1 attack dice when fighting Orcs and Goblins.

The DWARF

Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack: :skull: :skull:

Starting Weapon: Axe

The WIZARD

Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack: :skull:
Move: :roll2: :roll2:

Starting Weapon: Dagger
Restrictions: Same as original wizard

***ABILITIES***
1. Use spells from any 3 schools of magic.

The THIEF

Body :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack :skull: (+ :skull: :skull: when backstabbing)
Defense :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
Move :roll6: :roll6:

Starting Items: Toolkit (Fails on a :whiteshield: only)
Restrictions: Can only wear leather armor. Can only use weapons that roll a maximum of 2 attack dice.

***ABILITIES***
1. The thief gets +2 attack dice when attacking an adjacent monster that is also adjacent to another hero.
2. The thief can draw 2 cards when searching and pick 1.

What do you guys think? Any changes I should make?
Last edited by Jazzdrummer on January 27th, 2019, 11:30 am, edited 19 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: First Quest Heroes for Heroquest

Postby Anderas » April 30th, 2018, 12:17 am

Your fighter is kind of like the Barbarian lots of people make.
Giving him 3 Mind Points is a wise choice, and equalize with
restricting the bonus to 1-handed weapons is also good.

The Cleric may use only blunt weapons.
Do you have blunt weapons in your Hero quest? I have the
feeling i need to know more about your equipment before
i can say something useful.
Is it in express that you restrict him to three spells or can
he have the entire spell school when you start developing
more water spells?

The Elf is a Shooty elf. There are two elves around in general
fantasy, the casting elf and the shooting elf. I like your
variant; however it is kind of helping door blocking actions.
That said, shooting through other models makes the game
easier and less discussions, so that's a good change to start
with.

The dwarf is the new Barbarian? :-)

The Wizard - I wouldn't restrict him to pre-chosen spell groups
because there are more spell groups to discover latest with
Wizards of Morcar or with custom made content from the
forums. Just say "may choose three spell schools" should
suffice.

The Thief has a lot of bonuses.
The toolkit bonus, ok. The attack from behind, why not.
But being immune to most of the wandering monsters and traps
in the treasure deck? I don't know. Could this bonus be
softened a little bit? You could let him roll a combat dice
if it is a hazard or a wandering monster and on a skull he
suffers. What do you think?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Jazzdrummer » April 30th, 2018, 8:59 am

Anderas wrote:Your fighter is kind of like the Barbarian lots of people make.
Giving him 3 Mind Points is a wise choice, and equalize with
restricting the bonus to 1-handed weapons is also good.

The Cleric may use only blunt weapons.
Do you have blunt weapons in your Hero quest? I have the
feeling i need to know more about your equipment before
i can say something useful.
Is it in express that you restrict him to three spells or can
he have the entire spell school when you start developing
more water spells?

The Elf is a Shooty elf. There are two elves around in general
fantasy, the casting elf and the shooting elf. I like your
variant; however it is kind of helping door blocking actions.
That said, shooting through other models makes the game
easier and less discussions, so that's a good change to start
with.

The dwarf is the new Barbarian? :-)

The Wizard - I wouldn't restrict him to pre-chosen spell groups
because there are more spell groups to discover latest with
Wizards of Morcar or with custom made content from the
forums. Just say "may choose three spell schools" should
suffice.

The Thief has a lot of bonuses.
The toolkit bonus, ok. The attack from behind, why not.
But being immune to most of the wandering monsters and traps
in the treasure deck? I don't know. Could this bonus be
softened a little bit? You could let him roll a combat dice
if it is a hazard or a wandering monster and on a skull he
suffers. What do you think?

Hey Anderas! I always appreciate your thoughts. I'm currently reading through your comment you posted in reply to my armory question. I'm definitely open to suggestions here while still maintaining simplicity. So let me address your comments here... :D

-Yea I like the fighter too. |_P

-As far as the Cleric goes, yes I do use an expanded armory that includes maces/hammers and the flail. The flail still only rolls 2 attack dice but can attack diagonally. As far as spells goes you can definitely add more for sure. This version is based on the vanilla game. But the Cleric here becomes the original Elf I suppose.

-I agree with your Elf assessment. I really like the "shooty" elf personally regardless of whether they have magic or not. You're also right that shooting through friendly figures makes things a lot easier so I'm somewhat uncertain about having that ability. The original that Odanan came up with allowed the Elf or Ranger to use a bow against adjacent monsters. Maybe that's a more fair ability to use though I thematically don't really like it.

-YES!!! :dwarf: -> :barbarian: The dwarf is the new barbarian. I always liked the idea of dwarves being more stout and hardy since they usually have higher constitutions.

-Your Wizard suggestions sounds good. I'll make the change. I keep forgetting about the later expansions since I personally only have Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord.

-Okay making a good thief hero for this game has always been very difficult because thieves are traditionally known to have a lot of skills but more or less weak at combat. I never really liked having the dwarf be the "trap guy". So I thought the thief should be able to do that though not with the same skill. Failing on a :whiteshield: seems a bit more fair to me. I always liked the draw 2 cards and pick 1 one skill but your comments are making me rethink that. I like your idea so let me add yours to a few others here...
1. Can search a room twice.
2. Can search (treasure, traps, secret doors) in the presence of monsters
3. Thief avoids damage from hazards or hidden traps unless a :skull: is rolled on 1 dice.

What do you think? Me thinks your idea from #3 seems more thematic and fun.

As far as the whole backstab thing goes I tried to keep it nice and simple but it can be removed if it's too much. But after reading a few threads on different dice mechanics some more interesting ideas for it could be...
(Keep in mind the thief is only using a 2 dice weapon)

1. When attacking a monster that is adjacent to another hero all :blackshield: rolled count as :skull:
2. When attacking a monster that is adjacent to another hero add an an additional dice to the roll. Pick 2 dice to keep.
3. When attacking a monster that is adjacent to another hero as along as at least 1 :skull: is rolled add 1 additional point of damage to max of 3.
4. When attacking a monster that is adjacent to another hero the monster rolls 1 less defense dice. (I like this one the least)

So all of these ideas effectually make the thief more accurate which I like without rolling more dice. Let me know what you think. In the mean time I'm just keeping simple with the extra dice.

***EDIT*** I updated all the heroes.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 9th, 2018, 3:39 pm

I'm a fan or your original plan for the Thief as the premier loot-grabber. I like starting with a tool kit and disarming on a :whiteshield: , +2AD when attacking with another adjacent Hero, and drawing and keeping the best of two Treasure Cards when searching for treasure.

As a Thief is a substitute for the original Dwarf, he should compare in usefulness. A Thief not only disarms traps less effectively, but he also gives up 2-3 DD--this will cost a lot of Body Points. Who wants to play a wall flower? A Dwarf with a battle axe shames him. Sufficient compensation is called for to keep him competitive.

Better Treasure Cards can do this by losing less Body Points to negative cards while also providing potion buffs for a less lethal combat (for the Thief.) To boot, a Thief gains bonus gold coins that will more readily to pay for flanking Mercenary body guards. All this thematically matches a Thief's motivations for questing (looting and surviving) in my opinion.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jazzdrummer » May 9th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Daedalus wrote:I'm a fan or your original plan for the Thief as the premier loot-grabber. I like starting with a tool kit and disarming on a :whiteshield: , +2AD when attacking with another adjacent Hero, and drawing and keeping the best of two Treasure Cards when searching for treasure.

As a Thief is a substitute for the original Dwarf, he should compare in usefulness. A Thief not only disarms traps less effectively, but he also gives up 2-3 DD--this will cost a lot of Body Points. Who wants to play a wall flower? A Dwarf with a battle axe shames him. Sufficient compensation is called for to keep him competitive.

Better Treasure Cards can do this by losing less Body Points to negative cards while also providing potion buffs for a less lethal combat (for the Thief.) To boot, a Thief gains bonus gold coins that will more readily to pay for flanking Mercenary body guards. All this thematically matches a Thief's motivations for questing (looting and surviving) in my opinion.

Thanks Daedalus for your thoughts. It's much appreciated and you're right, the thief is essentially the replacement for the dwarf. So let me make sure I gotcha here...

The THIEF

Body :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart:
Mind :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb: :blueorb:
Attack :skull:
Defense :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
Move :roll6: :roll6:

Starting Items: Toolkit (Fails on a :whiteshield: only)
Restrictions: Can not wear any armor. Can only use weapons that roll a maximum of 2 attack dice.

***ABILITIES***
1. The thief gets +2 attack dice when attacking an adjacent monster that is also adjacent to another hero.
2. The thief can draw 2 treasure cards when searching and pick 1.

This is your favorite? I probably should allow him to at least wear chain armor.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Jazzdrummer

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Yeah, that's the one. Chain mail will help with survival, so that is probably a good idea. I like that that extra Defend Die isn't cheap. Playtesting would show if the protection is necessary, but as a player I'd want better Defend Dice than a Wizard.

For thematic reasons, an artifact could alternatively provide the extra Defend Die, something like enchanted leather. Another idea is a Thief's Mantle that allows both black and white shields in defense.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Heroes