• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mods finetune to my Healer

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Mods finetune to my Healer

Postby mitchiemasha » December 10th, 2017, 4:36 pm

To use a special/bonus action in my mods requires the Heroes to sacrifice a rolled movement d6. It ties in extremely well with the various different unique skills a character may have but keeping it universal and incredibly simple. Same as climbing on/off a table.

Mind Skill Test: Sacrifices a rolled Md6 equal to or
lower than your Mind to activate use skill.

Healer: -1M to heal a Hero anywhere on the board
the sacrificed d6 worth of lost B and/or M.

Previously the Healer would roll an extra d6 to see how much it would heal, potentially OP as it's anywhere on the board. Now as a quest evolves this will get weaker due to the nature of how using an extra skill/action works, the sacrificed Md6 needed to activate being reduced, the less the character can be healed, Perfect! With a lot of other intricacies to how it works introduced.

The healer, if a cleric, depending on character creation, also starts each quest with 3 Holly water vails, which have the added ability of healing a Hero 1 B or M.

For those who haven't seen my mods yet.
House Rules
Character Creation
Armoury, Alchemist, Inn

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mods finetune to my Healer

Postby mitchiemasha » December 10th, 2017, 4:38 pm

So... if finding a vail, it's a good idea to give it to the Cleric.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 13th, 2017, 3:22 am

We have various healers around the forum.
They all have the same problem - they totally disrupt the difficulty of a Quest.
If you have quests adapted to the presence of a healer, no problem. It could be some arcade gaming concept with ever-coming more enemies, never ceasing the stream.

Let me summarize your concrete rule. Every rule has the same four elements.

Cost, Range, Effect, limitations.

The limitations are normally there for flavor, like only the healer can heal, only the elf can sing and only the dwarf can drink more beer than his own weight. Ok for that, you have a healing effect unlocked only for healer, in the end it has no influence.

The cost is... what? Same as the berserker, a rolled movement die, so you first check if it is a loss and then, if it is no loss, you sacrifice it? We can say the cost is zero.
Same as in the berzerk thread, i would advise at least to sacrifice the die before rolling so that you don't know if it works or not and you don't know if you sacrifice the right die.
The range is "anywhere on the board".
The effect is, the target gets the :roll6: number of :redheart: or :blueorb: back.

A healing effect with 1D6, choose freely between :redheart: or :blueorb: is already incredible strong. Worth 800 :2cents: in the alchemist shop at least and then you need to discard the card for using it. Now yours costs nothing, you don't even have to discard the card or the action; meaning you can repeat it eternally, once per turn.

And then it has unlimited range. Not even a limitation like "adjacent". That's a no-go in itself. The stronger the effect, the shorter the range, otherwise it will be op. You would have to severly shorten the range. My idea would be "adjacent", but even then this effect is too strong.

Sorry to say so mitchie,
This is incredible strong. You could far-heal your friends in the middle of a fight without being in danger.
It would definitely break my games, however, i don't know your context. If you have a concept like those ever-coming enemies, maybe it is not so op after all.

I have one unlimited healing effect in my game. For that, you can give one BP away and it cost your action. This is sufficiently slow so that it doesn't get overused when combined with an evil wizard deck.

Could you introduce the complete rule with a few sentences? I have the feeling that i see only parts of the picture here.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 13th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Anderas wrote:We have various healers around the forum.

Thank you and yes it is incredibly OP in standard. The Healer however can easily be finished off if left unprotected and the EW gets a Wandering Monster Token (from Advanced HeroQuest). I had to rewrite how that token works when we playtested them, the Healer always got killed.

I like the idea of declaring before the roll. Previously I'd figured it as if the roll allows it, you might do it. It's same for 'sneak', only moving 1d6 as the other d6 is sacrificed. Linking it to Mind is also for character creation. It's no good giving healing or sneak to a low Mind character as they'd never be able to do it. If it wasn't this way they could create incredibly strong and crazy skilled characters.

The cost is -1M and the d6. The problem here is self healing. In character creation, It's 2M to be a Healer, which is the same as 1 spell set. Plus another 1M for the cleric (holly water to self heal if people figure that out).

The idea of failing is a great one. The healer might be wasting 1M to heal 1 or 2 B/M or not at all. Which is more likely the weaker the character gets. I'll add that, remove the or... from the 'and/or' and add 'another' hero to specify they can't use it on themselves.

At 1 point it was 2B/M anywhere on the board 4B/M adjacent but it needed more spice.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 13th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Not that many people will want to play as a healer but i wanted the character creation to have all the possibilities. With them being interchangeable in design to some extent.

And Thank you, your feedback was exactly what i was looking for.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 13th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Now that's adding another dimension. The Healer loses one MP each time he uses the ability. OK. How do you prevent that he heals his own MP to just keep going?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » December 13th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Anderas wrote:Now that's adding another dimension. The Healer loses one MP each time he uses the ability. OK. How do you prevent that he heals his own MP to just keep going?

Yeah that was a problem. I've added the word 'another' this implies they can't use it on themselves. Being a Cleric now is essential. Also, if they did keep healing they will get left behind or slow the group down. Due to how the Chaos Tokens (from advanced HeroQuest) work, a slow group will be faced with many more problems. Not to mention the double 1's Hazard! Heroes need to move through the dungeon at a reasonable pace.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 6th, 2018, 9:50 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Healer: -1M to heal a Hero anywhere on the board
the sacrificed d6 worth of lost B and/or M.

Anderas wrote:. . . And then it has unlimited range. Not even a limitation like "adjacent". That's a no-go in itself. The stronger the effect, the shorter the range, otherwise it will be op. You would have to severly shorten the range. My idea would be "adjacent", but even then this effect is too strong.

Sorry to say so mitchie,
This is incredible strong. You could far-heal your friends in the middle of a fight without being in danger. . . .

mitchiemasha wrote:. . . The idea of failing is a great one. The healer might be wasting 1M to heal 1 or 2 B/M or not at all. Which is more likely the weaker the character gets. I'll add that, remove the or... from the 'and/or' and add 'another' hero to specify they can't use it on themselves.

At 1 point it was 2B/M anywhere on the board 4B/M adjacent but it needed more spice. . . .

While -1 Mind Point and an undetermined d6 movement roll are solid costs, I'm with Anderas that "anywhere on the board" could stand to be more reliably limited. (EWP tokens aren't always available, right?) I have two options other than Anderas'' "adjacent" suggestion you might want to consider:

• ". . . anywhere on the board. . ." > . . . in Line of Sight . . .
  • ". . . anywhere on the board. . ." > . . . that can be reached . . .
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 7th, 2018, 2:06 am

I had thought about using the words 'the remaining d6 range' but was worried that people might think this was in reference to the Hero moving up to the Hero being healed. Also adding a super buff artifact later on, the ability to heal multiple heroes in that arch, at once.

Like to thank people for their input, seriously appreciated. Any more thoughts too.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Heroes