• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Custom Hero Creation

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Custom Hero Creation

Postby clmckay » March 28th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Hello,

I've been working on a scheme for allowing my players to create their own custom Heroes. I've seen this tackled a number of ways here on the inn and what I've come up with draws on several of those methods, in particular Sotiris' system was a great inspiration.

I was on a roll with killing off a number of Heroes last month and the player's wanted to try new Heroes, but I've been hesitant to just let them go wild. So, I added in GYGs new Heroes and those have been nice, but some wanted ever more control over it, the ability to make something their own. What follows is what I've come up with for them to use. I think it is rather well balanced. But in full disclosure, it's only been tested so far and not actually put into the campaigns, but that is coming up pretty soon. So, before I let my player's use this system to make replacements as their Heroes are killed, I thought I'd throw it up here for some last minute feedback.

It's based on Skill Points based on what distribution of BP / MP the player chooses. Each Skill Point allows them to choose one skill card to apply to their new character. Equipment restrictions are based on the number of Body Points (but can be modified by using Skill Points to choose skill cards). Not very good an explaining my thinking, I'm afraid. I hope that the worksheet is more explanatory. So, here's the worksheet:

CustomHeroWorksheet.pdf

and here is a link to the current version of the skill cards. They have changed a bit form the previously posted versions. Thoughts on them are welcome as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezr8thjoq8695 ... s.zip?dl=0

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Custom Hero Creation

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » March 29th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Seems like a good plan. You could Also use it for NPC's and boss style character badies.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 11th, 2016, 2:42 pm

This looks interesting and useful! I like your idea of providing a worksheet--the presentation has an HQ feel to it, in my opinion. Did you get a chance to use the worksheet and skill cards yet? If so, were there any issues with table space for high-skill Heroes that had many cards? I guess I think that way because I play Mice and Mystics, and that game has skill and equipment cards that crowd my small table.

Character creation was an original element of Stephen Baker's prototype design, so it makes sense older players would desire Hero creation to ramp up the RPG aspect. Retconning the various elements of balanced Hero creation is possible because apparently the four published Heroes were created this way.

I too was impressed by Sotiris' system, and after seeing your worksheet I'm leaning toward wanting something similar that fits my houserules. Though I might attempt something that fits on a sheet over cards, I still would like to see them. Unfortunately, the link to your skill cards didn't work for me. Did you take them down?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby clmckay » September 11th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Yes, we've been using it since April. It has worked well, in fact I don't think the sheet or process has changed from the posted sheet.

It fits into our character sheets so it doesn't require the cards to be in the players hands. Much like the fact the elf can cast 1 spell group doesn't require a card that tells you the elf can choose one spell group.

The skill card deck has worked well for character creation and advancement. A few have been added and one or two removed for balance problems since this post, but no other changes.

I only have so much space in my Dropbox account. I don't have another place to post them for long-term access. So if its not something I can attach to a post (limit about 14mb) then it'll probably only be a temporary posting.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 23rd, 2016, 2:23 pm

Stumbled on this looking for some ideas to help me finish my new character sheets. I'm going to be using BP limits carrying slots. With the last 2 slots dividable into 2 for potions and gems or 1 larger item.

For character creation, the simplest version i could ever think off is... Divide 10 between body and mind point. Mind points for skills. Representing how good they can be at things, instead of being simple gym mass, like the barbarian.

A Wizard has 6Mp so can have 3 sets of Magic (2mp each). A Barbarian has 2Mp so can have use of weapons (1mp) and +1 in Melee Attack (1Mp). Now he isn't starting with the broadsword but has a constant +1. The dwarf has disable traps (2Mp) and use of weapons (1MP)...

1M Point Skills
Use of Weapons: Starts with an Axe, Hammer or Sword: 2Ad6 Melee or Bow: 1Ad6 Ranged.
Combat: +1Cd6 in either Melee, Ranged, Thrown or Defence. You may only pick 1 Bonus!

1M Point Unique Character Skills
Assassin: Starts with Dagger, equipable off hand.
Cleric: Starts each Quest with 5 Holy Water Vails. Holly waters heal 1BP or 1MP for this character.
Elf: If magic, use of Elf expansion spell set.
Ranger: Starts with 3 Sleep spells, Tame Beast.
Tiny: Move through occupied squares unhindered. Small characters only, Hobbits, Midgets etc. -1D!!!
Thief: Search in the presence of Monsters.

2M Points Skills
Agility MAM: Move up to the value of 1d6, Action, move up to the value of the other. Exchange squares during combat, your B must exceed D.
Disable Traps: In the area you are in, no need to be adjacent, auto when searching.
Use of Magic: 3 spells of 1 element
Illusion: 3 of Air or Water mix, represent Thief skills. If you have a Genie, you stole a lamp!
Stand Fast: +1Cd6 A&D if no movement.

2M Points Skills with Test
Berserker: Auto fail M test and attack everything in reach, move distance arc, in the area you are in.
Healing: Pass M test and spend 1M to heal a Hero anywhere on the board 2B or 2M.
Sneak: Pass M test and move undetected. A Hero may Sneak through an unopened door, revealing the room but not activating it, the door remains closed. In the EW turn, a Monster must pass M test to move and attack a sneaking Hero, smelling out what lurks in the darkness and alerting the others. Any Monster not attempted a M test yet can now also attack! If the room was closed it is now open. Taking a wound from a trap or attacked Monsters that survive will break the Hero’s Sneak.
Thiriokinesis: Pass M test, spend 1M and attempt to control a beast, Green Skins, Skaven, not effective on Undead. Target must fail M test to be controlled, and remains so until a successful pass. The EW rerolls at the start of their own turn.

Mind Test: A Hero sacrifices a rolled Move Rd6 equal to or lower than their Mind to pass an M test.

We've added some more, an Orc Hero and A Necromancer, Not typed up yet...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... VJ4Zzl6RGc

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MadMickyG » March 12th, 2017, 2:12 am

Hey Clmckay, do you still have the skill cards available.

I thought about something similar for my HQ, less linear characters.

Can you set up another Dropbox link please?
Check out my dabblings in writing.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Madhouse ... 4179561807
Feel free to let me know what you think. All comments/criticisms welcome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MadMickyG

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Heroes