We have 3 children, all girls aged 10,13 and 15.
The 15 year old normally plays a Dwarf but she wanted a spell caster, and loves undead so I made her Cerina. Basically she uses the Wizards of Morcar Necromancer spells, giving her the chance to raise 3 skeletons and a Mummy, but we changed the terror spell for Spirit of Vengeance off the Orc shaman spells. I wasn't going to call her a Necromancer as Necromancer are bad, but you can get away with a dodgy Warlock.
I loved the old Nightmare Legion from back in the day and collect the Ennio Mordini (undead champion) figure from the set when I can, so she uses them as her skeleton.
http://www.godzilla.se/ministuffstuff/sbh_mordini1a.jpgThats an example, however mine are not that well painted.
Sonja is played by my partner ans in Red Sonja, and a Barbarian, my partner has red hair so she was happy with that.
Valeria is the 13 year old who plays as the female barbarian off the USA barbarian expansion.
The 10 year old loves to be an Elf.
Luther is a character off Warhammer Dark Omen, I have problems getting the girls to play the wizard but they had no interest in him

.