• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sentinel

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Sentinel

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » March 3rd, 2015, 5:23 pm

My idea was inspired by Final Fantasy 13. The stats:

Sentinel

You are the Sentinel, a durable soldier who brings rock-solid defense to the team. While you have a little bit of talent for defeating enemies, your real strength is in withstanding heavy punishment from the enemy and keeping that heat off of your allies.

Starting Weapon: Short Sword, 2 Attack Dice
Defend Dice: 2
Body: 8
Mind: 2
Movement: 2 d6

Sentinel cannot use Range weapons or 2-Handed Weapons (in the original system this includes Staff, Crossbow, and Battle Axe)

Sentinel can wear any armor (including Plate Mail) without movement penalty.

Sentinel has 3 Spells (or abilities to be treated like spells for the purpose of gameplay):

Obstruct: Enemies cannot move past squares adjacent to the Sentinel, though they may still stop in those spaces or move around them. Wears off when the Sentinel can no longer see an enemy

Provoke: For 1 round, any enemy that can attack the Sentinel must do so, and cannot attack the Sentinel's allies until it becomes impossible to attack the Sentinel. Enemies capable of spells can only cast spells that directly affect the Sentinel. They may use spells affecting other heroes, provided the spell affects the Sentinel as well.

Aura of Toughness: For 1 round, all allies the Sentinel can see (including self) get 1 extra combat die when Defending.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Musashi on April 7th, 2021, 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Sentinel

Postby Karlssonontheroof » April 11th, 2015, 6:24 am

Removing the third ability is a must, otherwise the Sentinel is very OP, and think about limiting her to only one ability + improved movement with plate (maybe restrict plate to one dice but allow sentinel to roll 2 and choose the best).
Karlssonontheroof

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Patroclus » April 12th, 2015, 6:07 am

Obviously the 3 abilities are like a school of spells. That makes him a spellcaster like the Elf. So it’s Attack 2, Defence 2, Body 6, Mind 4. Because of the restriction about ranged weapons, you can decrease the Mind to 3 and increase the Body to 7. So, he is like the Dwarf:
Attack 2, Defence 2, Body 7, Mind 3.

If you add the ability to remove penalty for plate mail this will give him Elf’s stats again.

This is how I could accept that kind of hero in my games. Of course it’s just my opinion.

The spells are nice. I could allow the +1 Def for one round, it’s not a big deal.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 4th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Super Saiyan Musashi wrote:Obstruct: Enemies cannot move past squares adjascent to the Sentinel, though they may still stop in those spaces or move around them. Wears off when the Sentinel can no longer see an enemy

Hero Quest doesn't have facing for figures. Won't the Sentinel always see any adjacent enemy as there is direct line of sight to all adjacent squares? I'm not including spell effects such as Cloak of Shadows or Invisibility in this observation.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » June 4th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Super Saiyan Musashi wrote:Obstruct: Enemies cannot move past squares adjascent to the Sentinel, though they may still stop in those spaces or move around them. Wears off when the Sentinel can no longer see an enemy

Hero Quest doesn't have facing for figures. Won't the Sentinel always see any adjacent enemy as there is direct line of sight to all adjacent squares? I'm not including spell effects such as Cloak of Shadows or Invisibility in this observation.

This ability makes more sense if you read it as a spell-like effect; i.e. "use once per Quest" rather than "always active".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 4th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Thanks. Now I get it.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » June 4th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Karlssonontheroof wrote:think about limiting her to only one ability

As in, all 3 spells/spell-like abilities are available, but to use one of them means the Sentinel has to discard the other 2? Or has to choose which 1 of the 3 to pack in each Quest? I could see that working if having a school of 3 spells like the Elf would be considered a bit much for the Sentinel. Of course, like any fan-made content, GMs are free to adjust it.

And yes, as mentioned, Obstruct is a Spell, going into effect when cast and wearing off when no visible enemies remain just like the Courage Spell.

Good feedback guys.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » March 17th, 2021, 11:50 pm

Pardon the bump, but I added some pictures for the Sentinel's spell cards! Made using pictures stolen off the internet. They''re in the OP.

Edit: We're limited to 5 pictures per post so I'll offer a Card Front here. Since the class is based on a Final Fantasy 13 role, I used Fang for the female version. Still deciding on a picture for the male version.

Suggested Miniature: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D14669154/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Super Saiyan Musashi » November 30th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Hmm..seems the new Knight Hero is very similar to my Sentinel, including the ability to wear plate mail without loss of movement, and encouragement to carry a shield. Maybe when I get ahold of the Knights box, I'll allow the Sentinel to learn Knight Skills for a price, and the same for Knights learning Sentinel Spells.
Super Saiyan Musashi

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby therealshrek » November 30th, 2021, 9:17 pm

The new Knight is similar, which is ok.
One thing I will say though, it needs to be 7 body 3 mind.
As soon as you give anything else but the barbarian an 8, you take away the only thing special about them.
The only way I can see anything else being an 8, is if its big and dum like a 1/2 ogre with 8 body and 1 mind, but
can carry x2 and ignores move penalties for shields. Just an example.
Making new playable characters is great, but they have to balance with the core characters.
therealshrek

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Next

Return to Heroes