• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Extra Heroes

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Extra Heroes

Postby Daedalus » September 9th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Sotiris wrote:
Anderas wrote:I think, in the long run the Blacksmith will be a very strong Hero, effectively cancelling Morcar’s ability to remove the one or the other equipment from the group.

The Gnome, on the other Hand, isn't very good and could have a buff.

My group will play them soon.
If Blacksmith becomes powerful and Gnome weak, i'll remove 1 Token from BS and add it to the Gnome (3 times per quest).

Once was Mortimer wrote:A Gnome alternate ability that I just came up with.

The Gnome may attempt to negate a spell cast in the same room or passage.

Thanks for suggestion! I have a similar ability on the Monk hero (he just cancels magic).
I want to keep Gnome out of the regular style of a spellcaster but remain into magic.

Gold Bearer wrote:I don't like (or understand) the gnome skill. I understand how it works, but not how it makes sense.

Noone will understand this weird race and their weird magical tricks!

He is small, smart, fast and silent. His ability is something between luck & magic. It offers better search results to the party and lowers the possibilities of wandering monsters and traps.

I like the concept, but I'm unclear how leaving a Treasure Card open can benefit another Hero who searches for it. Why wouldn't the Gnome simply keep any positive card for himself or give it away later? Apart from something I'm missing about an card open on the table, this mechanic feels similar to the Thief's draw-two-keep-one ability. Yes, 2 or 3 negative cards are removed; yet I wonder if the impact is enough for a player to desire this Hero choice.

I can't say I have a better alternative, but here are some more idea choices aimed at the small, fast, magical nature of the Gnome:

• if movement is greater than a monster's move, the Gnome may move through its square
  • a Gnome may move through a square occupied by a large monster (Ogre, Gargoyle, etc.)
  • a Gnome may avoid a Hazard! Treasure Card it he rolls anything but a skull on 1 combat die.
  • a Gnome may record and keep a potion, then return the Treasure Card back to the deck
  • a Gnome may ignore a spell or magical effect if he rolls a white shield 1 combat die
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sotiris » October 22nd, 2016, 4:10 am

I'm finishing Kellar's Keep with my group (next Q:9). One of my players plays the Gnome, who became his favorite hero!

Due to armor restrictions he plays carefully getting advantage of his speed (2 of :roll6: :roll6: :roll6: )
and of the ranged attacks from his starting weapon (bow: :skull: :skull: ).
Now he has full gear (Short Sword & Crossbow for attack, Helmet & Shield -if he didn't use both hands during his turn- for defense).
Although he doesn't start with spells he can use spell scrolls (i do not let players with lower than 4 M.P. to read scrolls unless they wear the Talisman of Lore).
And now his personal ability. That hero starts with 0 Tokens. Zargon places 1 Token on each unexplored room with a closed door. When that door opens (by any hero or reason) Gnome gains immediately that token. By spending 1 Token (action) Gnome picks randomly one card from the Treasure Deck and places it open beside the deck. Let's say that he drew a Gold! card.
If the Elf moves east and opens the door(s), Gnome collects the token(s).
If the Elf moves back into the room and searches for treasure he has 2 options for which card to draw:
1) the opened Gold! card
or
2) risk it and draw one randomly from the treasure deck. The Gold! card remains out of the deck until it is selected in a later search OR the Gnome uses again his ability (the card returns into the deck and a new one is drawn).

I hope i've helped. :)

Daedalus wrote:Apart from something I'm missing about an card open on the table, this mechanic feels similar to the Thief's draw-two-keep-one ability.

Thief's ability has been changed to one card redraw: He draws 1 card. If he doesn't want to keep it he returns it to the deck, reshuffles and draws another one.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 24th, 2016, 5:25 am

How's it going Sotiris.

Sotiris wrote:Thief's ability has been changed to one card redraw: He draws 1 card. If he doesn't want to keep it he returns it to the deck, reshuffles and draws another one.
I'm not sure I like that because what does ignoring a wandering represent him doing? I'd go for the option to draw a second card after drawing (and resolving) the first. Maybe he could also draw one card in rooms that have already been searched.

In the case of the gnome I'd do it so that he has to be in the room with the token and if it's bad it's ignored, if it's good he can take it or do a normal treasure search. Then once the token is revealed (and wasn't discarded for being a bad one) another hero can take the token treasure if the gnome did a normal search instead of taking the token treasure.

:2cents:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 6th, 2017, 2:43 pm

I just found these and they're pretty great. Thanks for making them!

Will there be any additional edits to the cards as found in the download on the first page?

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » July 12th, 2018, 3:39 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:Will there be any additional edits to the cards as found in the download on the first page?

Sorry for delay. Yes, i've deleted some heroes, i've edited some others...
They are all in a new download file on 1st page. Enjoy! |_P
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Heroes